Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Treadmill, Help!!!

nay34
nay34
United States
2012/05/02, 10:26 AM
OK so I was told by a trainer at my local gym that he did not recommend that I use the treadmill because it is mainly for those that are training for running marathons. I love the treadmill but have not used it in months do to being told this. I have been doing the elliptical and ski machine (ARC Trainer), but I really miss the treadmill. What do you think? Any advice is much welcome.
2012/05/02, 11:03 AM (Edited: @ft@d_124774 - 2012/05/02, 11:10 AM)
I have found the treadmill to be a very effictive training tool. According to the computer on mine, the calorie burn can be dramatic when set on the max incline and slowing the pace. There are some good "weight loss by walking" sights that statistically explain why this is so. The faster you walk up to about 3.5 mph the lower your caloeie burn compared to walking at 1.5 or slower. The slow walk reduces the momentum that you build at 3 mph and you actually have to work harder on the slow walk. all of this changes when you walk faster than 4 mph but that's not something I enjoy.

Don't necessarily believe the calculator on the treadmill as being accurate. It is however consistent. Mine tells me that a 66 minute walk on a 15 degree incline at 2.5 mph burns 1200 calories. It tells me that at the same speed on zero incline that I burn about 500 calories. I don't believe the numbers are accurate but I do believe their consistency and I am burning more calories walking a 15 degree incline verses a zero incline. My sweat tells me that.

Your trainer is correct in telling you that an elliptical workout is more effective than the treadmill. But you also have to consider that you are far more likely to stick with something you like than something you don't. My wife likes a high rep full body workout. She is baffled by the fact that I enjoy panting and grunting to lift heavy. We both love walking, swimming and canoeing long distances. We stick with what we do because we like it.

There is a chart mid way down this page. Look at the slowest walk verses the next slowest walk.

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm

There are a number of walking sights you may want to look at. Their stats vary but they are consistent in that the very slowest walk doesn't have the momentum of a faster walk and burns more calories up to a point. I have found that for me, a medium to slow walk uphill for an hour burns calories effectively. Walk faster uphill or run, you burn even more.
nay34
nay34
United States
2012/05/04, 01:43 PM
Thanks CharlieMV
2012/05/04, 04:18 PM
You are welcome.
DT.Bis
DT.Bis
United States
2012/05/08, 11:44 AM
nay34
OK so I was told by a trainer at my local gym that he did not recommend that I use the treadmill because it is mainly for those that are training for running marathons. I love the treadmill but have not used it in months do to being told this. I have been doing the elliptical and ski machine (ARC Trainer), but I really miss the treadmill. What do you think? Any advice is much welcome.

---I think your trainer is out to lunch. I'm sure you are aware, you can even use it for plain old walking at say 3 speed and low level. I use the treadmill because it seems to be the most effective way to counteract calories. Plus I have 60s music on my ipod, so I go slower with a slow song and rev it up with rock n'roll. Go back to your treadmill.