Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

too much water?

kasketkyle
kasketkyle
United States
2007/06/20, 11:19 PM
Is it possible to drink too much water in a 24 hour time period? I know I should be drinking 8 glasses per day, but what if I am drinking more than that? can it have any negative results?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/06/21, 07:32 AM
I drink at least a gallon a day - plus my green tea, milk, and water that's already in foods naturally. Yes, you can actually have too much water, but only if your intake of electrolytes is extremely low. Marathon runners and endurance athletes have that issue more than anyone. Don't ever be afraid to drink good, clean water.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/21, 09:22 AM
If you are thirsty, drink. The risks associated with too much water are throwing off your electrolyte balance...I counteract this risk by taking Emergen-C, you could do that or drink gatorade as part of your water intake.

Usually too much water isn't a problem unless you are competing in high-stress endurance events where you are losing fluid and salt by sweating and then washing out electrolytes by drinking too much water, your system gets flooded and fluids can't move in and out of tissues properly. This is why every once in the blue a runner dies from drinking too much water, although there was a case of water-drinking related death recently when a radio station had a drink as much as you can competition and didn't allow the contestants to go to the bathroom during the contest. The winner died.

I will find a better explanaition of what happens when you drink too much water and post a link....

I do think dehydration is more prevalent and if you are exercising you need more than the doctor recommended 8 glasses a day - but you do get water from the foods youe at and from other beverages.
If you weigh yourself before you exercise and then weigh yourself after you exercise, replace the lost weight with the equivalent amount of water (16 ounces is a pound).

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/21, 09:23 AM
here is a really good explaination:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin