Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

...to lose weight.

lita_chick46773
lita_chick46773
United States
2007/04/30, 03:52 PM
I am 17, 5'4", and around 235 lbs. (last i checked). I am trying to lose some weight before I start college in June, because I am going to need to be healthy and considerably fit to walk around campus all of the time. I weighed about 170, when I was in 10th grade, which wasn't that bad for me, considering that I am big boned. I moved back with my mother and she has this 'thing' that if we are hungry then eat, and she buys a lot of soda. When I lived with my father, i always drank ice water, no pop, and I also walked everywhere I went, now I don't walk anywhere b/c i have nowhere to go now. Also, I smoke, and I am afraid that if I quit smoking, I will eat more. I want to quit but I know that I eat when I am bored and smoking gives me something to do. But on the otherhand, to exercise like I need to, I need to quit because I lose my breath quickly. If I was to quit drinking soda, stop eating so much (and eat a healthy portion), and exercise regularly...would it help me at all? Someone please give me some tips!
Ashely
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/01, 05:43 PM
Well, you already are aware of the changes to your body after you added other things not necessary to your daily consumption, now just start taking them away -bit by bit, remove one thing, then another, then another...as far as smoking --don't fall into that trap of using the smoking as an excuse to not implement healthy changes, smoking does not cause you to lose weight or they would have marketed it that way!! Yes, it is a habit that may allow you to put a cigarette in your mouth rather than a cookie, but the trick is to carry something that is long lasting and keeps your mouth busy, try jerky, it is high in protein and low in fat/carbs if you buy the right kind. Keep the 'fridge filled with lettuce, chicken (I always have pre-cooked chicken, uncooked chicken, cut up chicken, etc. available so I can whip something up quick), learn what a serving is (deck of cards for meats) and just make changes, don't change everything in a day, that is TOO HARD and not necessary to start your journey to healthy living, you didn't gain it in a day, have patience, let your body adjust to the changes before you implement another, but don't delay either.

Good luck to you!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill