Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Things I Ponder........

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/29, 11:17 AM
One thing that over the last decade I have lifted that always amazes me is what people mean when they say they exercise. 99% of them are refering to some type of cardio. I totaly get that cardio is a thing that is needed, but is it exercise? I offer to you that while you do get some benefits from cardio it in itself is not a good way to "exercise". You do need it to keep the heart healthy, but you can get cardio from doing a fast paced weightlifting session. For those of you that think this is a load of crap, try Steves Complexes from Hell (ask KC).

Anyway, it kid of bothers me that weight training is shunted to the side by doctors and cardio is forced upon as as the Cure For All. I rather get a root canal than do cardio, I try to do it as much as I can stand but I will always do weights first.

Another thing that I pondered over the last 10-14 years I have lifted is the complete lack of people to learn about this stuff. Only a hand full of people actually learn form and or the correct exercise. People READ up on this get freakin educated.

Here is another thing, why bother doing either cardio or weigths if you are not going to do it right? What a waste of time....anyway more things to ponder later!

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2006/11/29, 11:39 AM
It's a great thing to think about Mutt. I have been on again/off again with "exersize" but when I am on, I'm lifting if I can, or doing 20-30 minutes of a tape. There are some people I know(my mom lol) who insists she "exersizes" every day and complains when she can't lose weight. Her exersizing consists of lying on the floor and doing 10 leg lifts, or pulling on a resistance band 5 times literally.

I am very very excited to think with the possibility of the job I have the lead on, that I could use their weight room before/after work.....ahhh to feel the burn again! :big_smile:
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2006/11/29, 11:45 AM
It always urked me to see people at the gym doing weights incorrectly. The most common was the bending of the back while doing curls!! r the bounce of the chest doing bench press!
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/29, 12:12 PM
Mutt challenged me many months back to try the complexes...you probably all recall he called me a sissy...then proceeded to tell me to try these complexes THEN see if I wanted to hop on my treadmill after.So I took a few days...then tried it....it was AMAZING the difference.My heart rate was up and I was still breathing hard but the difference in the workout is undescribeable unless you do it.The biggest benefit for me....as a women...to lifting weights is the cellulite is gone...you all already know this...but I gotta say it again...after years and years of running the treadmill..and doing leg lifts and squats with no weight..it's all gone after only a few months.And the eating...that is truely key!!

The number one thing I ponder....why people put there questions on here...then when they get an answer they don't like..they argue ...they say how their way..wether it be diet or routine...is right...if you already know the answer...why are you asking the freaking question:angry:??????

Ok...glad to get that off my chest....
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/11/29, 12:40 PM
In my humble opinion, cardio is exercise, for the heart. No matter how you get it. Lifting weights with high intensity will get you some cardio, which, exercises the heart.

However, when I lift weights, I call them 'movements,' not 'exercises.'

The term is very broad.

t

--------------
I am training for birthdays.

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/29, 02:31 PM
A good mix is the key. I've seen alot of body builders that couldn't run a mile. I've also seen alot of runners with absolutely no upper body strength. weight lifting raises your heart rate, but nothing like high intensity cardio training. Whether it be biking, swimming, or running it really depends on how much someone pushes themselves in their cardio session.
2006/11/29, 02:37 PM
Mutt - I ponder how the heck you find the time to do this while WORKING !!!! You must have it made.

--------------
Beyond Training, Beyond Experience, Nutrition Wins
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/29, 02:57 PM
LOL

--------------

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/29, 03:21 PM
I wokr online all most 100% of the time...as long as my job gets done and it does I am all good!

--------------

ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/11/29, 03:34 PM
It also depends on what you define as "work"

--------------
Time just fades the pages in our book of memories
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/29, 03:40 PM
Yeah like atiger her picking his tooth is work for him!

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/30, 12:02 AM
mutt, you are the only person I know that would rather do a set of complexes than cardio.

I get all my cardio from strongman training and lifting.

I haven't done any other cardio seriously in over a year. The other day a friend of mine who runs regularly asked me to join on a 4 mile run around campus, I not only kept up but felt held back.
Anyone who thinks lifting isn't cardiovascular can eat my tail wind.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/30, 07:36 AM
I do prefer lifting and think it does condition your heart, to an extent. Also - the stronger and healthier your muscles, the easier movement like running and jumping will be for you.

Cardio..I like cardio, it clears my mind, it makes me sweat (well, lifting does too) and I like the stress relief (especially from kickboxing).I think our bodies are made to move and run and jump. If you hate cardio, you haven't found the right type for you, IMO.

wrestler - isn't it nice that your strength training translates to other activities? i started running with my dogs at the dog park (a few weeks back, before I got sick) and was pleasantly suprised at how not-hard running was.:)

--------------

Perseverance is not a long race it is many short races one after another.
Walter Elliott
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/30, 07:37 AM
Oh - and here is what I ponder... why does that guy at the gym need his weight belt for one-arm rows, and who is he talking to on his cell phone between sets?:angry:

--------------

Perseverance is not a long race it is many short races one after another.
Walter Elliott