Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

swimming weight loss

botanygeek
botanygeek
United States
2009/04/28, 10:00 PM
I started swimming laps for the last 7 weeks, about 1 mile (45 minutes) 4-5 times a week. There is definately alot less of me, but the scale has been stuck, fluctuating between 200 and 202 pounds (I'm 6 ft). I know I've gained alot of muscle, even though this wasn't my intention, and I'm not complaining, as I went down a pant size. In fact last week I lost 1 inch off my waist and gained 1/2 inch on each of my biceps. But I'm wondering if at some point I'll start loosing weight as well, and if I just need to wait a little longer. It's been almost 2 months with no weight change. My diet/nutrition is very good, and I'm not over eating after my swims.
2009/04/28, 10:56 PM
You've put on muscle and lost some fat. Muscle is heavier than fat. You've also discovered accidentally that it's better to worry about your pant size than weight. Keep doing what you're doing. You can try dropping about 250 calories a day from your diet for a month. Sooner or later you'll start dropping pounds along with the inches. Good work.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
kobuscb
kobuscb
United States
2009/05/02, 01:00 PM
just a thought, I learned in exercise physiology classes and phys ed classes that distance swimming can actually cause your body to retain fat because of the decreased water temperature. Someone I know ( a college fitness coach) suggested sprints in the pool and at each end of the pool, pull youself up and out, get back in, and another sprint. Sounds like alot of work, but he swears by it. just to change it up and not make your boly think it needs to conserve fat for colder temperatures.