Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

SUPPLEMENTS the new Swear word!

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/09/25, 12:08 PM
Ok for those of you who hate rants stop right now this will be one. First let me start off by saying that I do not hate all supplements, in fact I take a few myself. But, if I hear one more post from someone just starting out asking what is best to take what will get them fastest results I am goona freak out. It seems that 4 otu of 10 channels in the morning on TV have the "latest pill". My question to those of you out there that see this is this:IF THEY ALL HAVE THE LATEST, BEST THING THAT WOKRS IN JUST 5 MINUTES" why are not all of us using them. Be real people they do not work. am so surprised as to the amount of people willing to spen hundreds of dollars on a dream. Hell people if those things worked i would not be always lifting like I do. I am sure many of you are just asking for general info. But go to this sites forum for supplements and count the number of posts there asking which works best, what should I take for results now etc. All you need and I am sure most if not all of the older members will back me up, is real food lots of it and hard lifting. Look at teh actual word: Supplement-it means in addition to....not in place of! Please lets not jump onto a bandwagon because you want to skip the hard work. Is eating good food a chore? Hell yes! I would love to be able to eat BK or taco bell and get away with it. I know however that I need the chicken breast and skim milk and tuna and eggs etc to get what I want. IT IS NOT IN A FREAKING PILL, POWDER AND OR DRINK. Are supplements needed?> Yes but as a additional bonus not as a replacement.

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/09/25, 01:36 PM
What I have been saying all along, Mutt.... and I'm in the industry!

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/09/25, 01:38 PM
I hear ya brother!

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/25, 01:58 PM
I have mentioned many, many times this hard cold fact. There is no magic pills! 95% of what we do/accomplish is through hard work and proper diet. Supplements may at best account for 5% of progress. Get your diet and training and rest in order. This will do the work. Supplements come after years of maxing out these first. With the possible exception of protein. Good post Mutt....

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/09/25, 02:26 PM
Good post Mutt. I agree with you 100%. Too bad advertisements for some products make outlandish claims and get away with it while exercise can't be sold so effectively - the benefits from working towards a goal and the achievement of such are so much better than if an actual pill took one immediately to the achievement. Isn't there a saying about how the journey itself being better than the final destination?
jplatz
jplatz
United States
2003/09/25, 04:38 PM
Amen to that!

I have tried some of these supposed wonder supplements. Yes, I'm actually confessing to it so I can finally clear my conscience. The only thing that was improved was my bank account became leaner. I didn't lose weight, I didn't gain massive muscle and I didn't look like that supposed never before worked out and now looks just like a pro bodybuilder (see Mike Platz for Cell Tech).

Having been on this site for a couple of years I know that Mutt, Revball and BB1 have all gone on this tirade and said the same things. I have agreed every time. I just hope that you have begun to reach a new group of lifters and helped them understand.

--------------
The meek shall inherit the Earth, but the strong and muscular will carry them through it!
That which does not kill me can only make me stronger.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/25, 07:50 PM
Those infomercials drive me nuts. "Take this, eat all the fat you want, and continue to lose weight" (Thin people are kissing in swimming pools on the screen while other people eat plate of fries and ice cream). How about not putting the junk in your face to begin with, you'll lose weight, and you can spend the $59.95 you saved on chicken! We live in an instant society. We want everything yesterday. People can't wait for anything anymore. We don't even get out of our cars to get our greasy cheeseburgers. We sit on our fat butts while someone passes it through a window to us. We expect that modern science can give us a Baywatch body by Thanksgiving. We put chemicals into our body based on a promise of people, we'll never meet, who only care about making a sale. Take care of your body- you don't get another one. Anything worth having is worth working for. Period.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/09/25, 08:06 PM
You couldn't say it better Mutt. Nothing like eating right!

--------------
\"A will finds a way\"
Ivan Montreal Canada
stanlee75
stanlee75
United States
2003/09/25, 08:16 PM
They say there's a sucker born every minute, I guess that's why this topic keeps popping up. However, if any of those suckers are reading this and want to lose 10 lbs overnight or gain 10 lbs of solid mass overnight. How it works is simple if you wanna lose the 10 lbs send me $1,000 in $1.00 bills and *poof* your 10 lbs lighter. For the 10 lbs of solid mass send me $1,000 and I'll send you two ankle weights weighing 5 lbs a piece. I guarantee you can lose or gain that 5 lbs overnight. hehe
borpillicus
borpillicus
Canada
2003/09/26, 11:48 AM
Haha. My favorite commerical is the one with the two people in black dancing together really fast to look like they are in good shape. And the narrator in the commerical is talking so fast it sounds like the guy is on speed: "Thatsrightthisnewhighlyadvancedpillwillgiveyouthebodyyoudesireandtheenergyofateenager!Burnfatandhaveenergy!"

Whaha! What a load of crap. If only people new how easy it was to get in shape. All it takes is a little work. But you guys are right, everyone wants the instant, most delicous, least work required results.

But then again, whatever, all that means is more gym space for us!

--------------

- Its never about how much you can lift, or how many reps you do. Its just about doing it, and doing it right.

~Brad~
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2003/09/29, 03:46 PM
Could not have said better myself Mutt. Look people I have said this before and on other sites and got blasted for it. People hate to have their dream taken away. But if this stuff really worked, honey, it would make literal history, be all over thenews. Then the drug companies would get a patent with the quickness and it would not be cheap to obtain my dear. It would have to be a perscription thus making all the docs and drug companies all the more richer and the average Joe like us would still be the way we are. Sigh.....It just makes me sick about the diet and health industry even the health food stores with the natural this and that that does not work and just because it is natrual does not make it safe.. You gotta be careful Nothing will ever replace a good lifestyle and the earlier the better.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/29, 05:09 PM
Geeeeez, I can't add anything to that! Well said mutt.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
starbell
starbell
Canada
2003/09/30, 05:05 PM
The best I can add is thanks for the post mutt. Health eating is the best
Woodstock
Woodstock
United States
2003/10/01, 01:02 PM
I hear ya! I recently have started eating clean and working out (thanks to this board & my journal keeping). Losing weight gangbusters. I am really beginning to see results. One of my co workers asked me what I was taking. Had the nerve! I told her that I have a very discplined eating program and I workout 5 days a week. I don't mention my regimen unless I am asked. When they do ask, they (female co workers) can be very catty in doing so. Hate on Haters! Thank goodness for this board and all of the awesome posters!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/30, 11:30 AM
bump

--------------
When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity before and after, the little space which I fill and even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant and which know me not, I am frightened and am astonished at being here rather than there; for there is no reason why here rather than there, why now rather than then. Who has put me here? By whose order and direction have this place and time been allotted to me? The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me.
Blaise Pascal

7707mutt@freetrainers.com