Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Stupid Scale!

pcorey
pcorey
United States
2007/04/19, 08:32 AM
Is it possible for weight loss to stall after 3 weeks? A month ago I cleaned up my diet, figured out my calorie requirement, started excercising and began loosing weight. At first it was like magic, I went from 236 to 228. I shot back up to 234 for no apparent reason then down to 230.5 and now I'm just sitting there. I know, I know, I shouldn't just go by the scale but, after two weeks of no significant loss I'm getting frustrated. Should I hang in there a little longer to see if something happens or should I try to manipulate calories and excercise?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/04/19, 08:34 AM
Try a bit less calories, carb cycling works well too. Also what is your training like?

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
pcorey
pcorey
United States
2007/04/19, 09:16 AM
I'm doing an A-B split upperbody/lower body with super sets three times a week and cardio 3 times/week. I do some HIIT and some moerate intenstiy. To be honest, I think this is where I'm falling behind a little. The past two weeks I've only done cardio twice. I am starting back with Karate tonight. I think I'm going to change my weight lifting to circuit training. I was also thinking about trying the fat loss program from this site but I haven't seen any feedback on it so...?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/04/19, 09:18 AM
I have heard from folks that use the programs that they work as long as you stick to it.

--------------

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

pcorey
pcorey
United States
2007/04/19, 09:22 AM
Okay, to be totally honest I am really only estimating my calories. For meals I prepare I'm very positive I'm getting the right amount. However, I've gotten into the habit of drinking "health" shakes from the juice bar at the gym. They are just so darn convenient for post work out. I know the post work out meal is supposed to contain protein and some simple carbs. Is this true for weight loss as well? I want to add some muscle but I need to get rid of some blubber too.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/04/19, 09:27 AM
weight loss is all about creating a balance of having just the right amount to live on and still lose weight......simply put if you take inmore than you need you will stop losing/gain weight.

--------------

pcorey
pcorey
United States
2007/04/19, 09:35 AM
Thanks. I will make a better effort to really know what how much I am consumming and I will give the program a try.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/04/19, 09:37 AM
try tracking the calories you eat I use fitday.com

--------------

pcorey
pcorey
United States
2007/04/20, 10:25 AM
Yes! At last my scale is cooperating with me. Down two pounds and one belt notch! Whoot!
fouts
fouts
United States
2007/04/20, 12:19 PM
You should not be looking at the scale! When you begin exercising your body weight is going to fluctuate! You are doing resistance training which builds muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. You have probably lost body fat percentage but that does not always mean you have lost weight. Don't go by the scale, all it will do is frustrate you. Like you say in your last post you went down a belt notch, go by that more than the scale.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/04/21, 03:10 PM
Scales are not your friend...I learned that after good 'ol Charlie here at FT kept reminding me...they are a tool, but nothing you want to step on daily as our body fluids, time of day, soooooooooo much comes into consideration. I weigh every couple of weeks and always remember that plateaus usually mean adjustment time - exercise or calories; or both. It also seems if you regulate your food and then have one day that is a cheat day -not filling up with garbage, but just more calories that day, I understand that helps to fool your body, as does the variation in exercise. Weights are a great help and making sure you are getting the most bang for your buck! Whatever the method that gets you off that plateau, one thing for sure, sticking with it is the only way! :) Good luck!!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/04/21, 03:11 PM
"more calories" meaning protein, good carbs, etc. GOOD energy foods...

============
Quoting from vedakathryn:

Scales are not your friend...I learned that after good 'ol Charlie here at FT kept reminding me...they are a tool, but nothing you want to step on daily as our body fluids, time of day, soooooooooo much comes into consideration. I weigh every couple of weeks and always remember that plateaus usually mean adjustment time - exercise or calories; or both. It also seems if you regulate your food and then have one day that is a cheat day -not filling up with garbage, but just more calories that day, I understand that helps to fool your body, as does the variation in exercise. Weights are a great help and making sure you are getting the most bang for your buck! Whatever the method that gets you off that plateau, one thing for sure, sticking with it is the only way! :) Good luck!!

=============

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill