Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Stuck

shadowstar
shadowstar
United States
2007/07/20, 08:12 PM
I cant seem to commit myself to actully starting working out its like I tell myself this is the week Im going to do it but then I come up with a bunch of excuses and then I tell myself if I had only worked out by now I would have lost it all so I dont know what to do confused and angry here some help greatly needed.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/21, 11:08 AM
Shadowstar - do you have clear, measurable goals? You have to set goals that are exciting and motivating.

Sometimes just the first goal of "I will work out once this week" is a godd start.

Goals are important - good goals are SMART:

Small
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time-oriented

Sit down and write out all of the reasons getting fitter will improve your life and your relationships and then set some goals - I hope it will get you fired up enough to get started!

Some tips and tricks that I have used in the past for getting going:

- tell yourself that you only have to workout for 10 minutes and then if you aren't enjoying it you can stop. usually you will start to feel good by minute 8 or so and will stick it out and finish your workout.

- set out your workout clothes where you see them first thing in the morning.

- pack you gym bag and keep it in thetrunk of the car so you always have what you need to work out after work.

- take some 'before' pictures and put them where you will se them in the morning - this might motivate you to go and make some changes happen at the gym.

- remind yourself that you are doing this for your health and quality of life. Get out that list of reasons and reread it.

- find a workout buddy who will be expecting you at the gym each day. It is harder to let someone else down than to let yourself off the hook. Plus it can be fun to have a partner in the process.

Good luck ! I hope you can find the motivation you need - remember - a body in motion stays in motion - it is just that first action of getting it into motion that is so hard.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle