Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

stressed...discouraged..plz help

Mandy_23
Mandy_23
Canada
2006/11/04, 12:12 AM
hi im 22/5'5 and weigh 150lbs. I've been trying to lose weight for a VERy long time..i recently found out that i have PCOS..and ive also had a hypotyroid problem since i was very young. It wasn't until after highschool that i started gaining so much weight. Its very discouraging because my sisters are both very thin and dont really care to eat healthy or exercise. Ive been trying to go to my school gym as much as possible..and i try to eat healthy...but i see myself always giving up after a week or so. Also, eating healthy is very difficult because im always surrounded by junk food :( I cant ask my parents to stop buying it because my sisters do enjoy them...and i try very hard at times to stay away...but sometimes i just give in. I have no motivation at the moment..and i want to lose weight very much...my goal is to lose 20 pounds...but i feel because of my hypothyroid problem and PCOS problem ive been feeling really down. I dont have much of a sweet tooth..its just all the fried fatty foods. I find eating healthy to be quite boring..and time consuming. Im sorry if i've made this really long, but i just hope someone could try and help me out, i would appreciate it a lot. Thanks
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2006/11/05, 02:49 PM
I understand your situation. Its hard to loose weight when there is access to bad foods around. However it is really all motivation. Many people are in the same situation as you, where they eat right and exercise for awhile and then give up..and it just becomes a constant cycle.
If your goal is to loose 20 lbs. You have to want to do this for yourself. If you really want to get motivated and get some good habbits going, a great idea (if you have the money) is to hire a fitness trainer. Meeting with your trainer at least once a week may help you stay focused. In the past I have done that. I paid to work out wtih a trainer for 12 weeks. So after paying money to have a trainer, it definately motivated me to get to the appointments i schedualed with them. I started that in 2001 and ever since then, I still enjoy going to the gym, and try to lead the most healthy lifestyle as possible. However, even like you, sometimes I loose focus of my goals, but I quickly get back on track.

Of course this is just one option I threw at you. Im sure if you looked at other posts you can also find great advise.
Good luck..I hope you reach your goals!
Mandy_23
Mandy_23
Canada
2006/11/05, 07:36 PM
thanks so much for the reply :)
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2006/11/05, 07:57 PM
Im actually the same age, height and almost the same weight as you. Although I wish I was skinnier, I have just learned to accept my body. I know I am not huge, so I accept my body the way it is because my weight has stayed fairly stable over time even though I work out and watch what I eat.
If you exercise, eat right, and feel confident about yourself, that is what is most important. If you truly want to loose the 20lbs, you will achieve that goal! However, Im sure you look great just the way you are!
loeylongo
loeylongo
United States
2006/11/18, 01:02 PM
I was just diagnosed with the same thing about 3 days ago. I run and run and never seem to lose a pound! I'm 22, 5'2 130 lbs. I have the same problem with the junk food in the house too... I live with two boys that seem to eat whatever they want and never gain an oz. The way that I have gotten past the junk was buying a 'mini fridge' and puting it in my room. I buy all the healthy foods that I like and fill up my fridge. This way I dont even have to look at the stuff they have. When I feel like I need a little snack I just take my dog for a walk, or run down to the gym.
You also need to make sure you remember to reward yourself for being good all week with something like a little frozen yogurt or some low fat cookies. :)
Don't give up, just stick to your guns and I know you will make it.
1memorymakermom
1memorymakermom
United States
2007/01/21, 09:57 PM
I have a thyroid problem too...thyroid meds helped a bit...but not totally. The best thing you can do is keep exercising, eat healthy for life, and try to compare yourself to others...this is a tough one for us woman. Take one day at a time and don't be too hard on yourself.:)
1memorymakermom
1memorymakermom
United States
2007/01/21, 09:58 PM
ooooops! I meant to write try NOT to compare yourself to others....ugh...I think comparing makes us girls crazy. :big_smile:
Mandy_23
Mandy_23
Canada
2007/01/24, 01:36 PM
thanks for all ur comments! the mini fridge idea seems like a great idea, i think i'll look into one :)