Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

State of Fitness

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/03, 02:26 PM
Ok so lets face it, every freaking station has stuff on it about getting into shape. There are so many magazines about it that there are whole sections in stores for that alone. Plus with all the info on the web and in the news about obesity and all it is enough to scare the pants off of a seasoned fitness nut.
So what to do? I can go into any gym and spot dozens of people that are for one going to hurt them selves and or someone else. And two, not even having the slightest clue as to what to do. Now there are a few choices. One, just sit and watch tv. Ok so maybe that is not a good choice. A real option, that many go to is to hire a trainer. THat is great as long as that trainer is good, and not just a sales person. For those of you new to this keep that in mind. Most larger gyms and fitness centers have "personal training sessions" available. However most of these so called trainers are really sales staff that get trained on how to sell the membership.
My advice is to ask them for references. After all you really do not go to a doctor if you talk to someone that went to them and had a bad time of it, do you? No. SO why would you spend hundreds of dollars to someone that does not know how to sqaut or talk about proper form for a lunge. But Man they can show you ab workouts!
Just be carefull.
On another topic, as Ron (BB1fit) has stated, abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym. Please realize that while some have gotte that fabled "six pac" most willnot. Not for lack of trying but for lack of proper training. First thing to do is to get a idea of what you are eating, how much you are eating. Then plan a healthy meal plan. Only then will results show from your hard work in the gym.

Do pills work? What supplement is the best?
We get asked this so many times most old timers here do not even read those posts. Yes some pills and supplements can help, but 99.9% of them are filler and crap. If you really want to throw away your money, email me, my kids need a college fund. Do you realize that the supplement industry grows by the BILLONS each year. Yep that is right I think only Wal-Mart and the Oil companys make more.

Here is some sipmple advice Keep It Sipmple Silly (KISS).
To many times i see young people in the gym doing exercises that do not really do much and can be dangerous. Why? because some magazine promised that they will look like brad pitt or bruce lee or whoever.
Train smart, train hard, and it will happen.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/03, 03:17 PM
I like the college fund idea!!!!The next time I see a post for how to get "sexy" abs in six seconds...or how to loose 50 pounds in two weeks "safely" I'll ask for a fee first.Then send out some coffee beans with some great name,and explain if they want to loose the weight NOW all they have to do is continue to sit on their couch and watch TV and THINK healthy thoughts(after all the brain is an amazing thing!) and their dreams of clebrity bodies will come true in 4 easy weeks!!!I'll even gaurantee the whole deal!!!Money back if satisfaction not complete!!!!Minus 49.95 for shipping and handeling ofcourse!!!

I for one am so glad I finaly got IT!!!!

From bb1fit...."less calories in,more calories out"
from you Mutt...."just do it"

It's so simple it's ridiculous:love:
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/04, 08:34 AM
Another thing, For both Men and Women, do not be afraid to try different things in the gym. I see some people there that have been doing the same routine for 2 years, I mean you can set you watch on the fact that on Monday night at 7pm they are doing 45min of cardio, or that they are in there for their 4 sets of 10 reps on bench press.

Point is, get out of your comfort zone, I know a couple of women on here that have at least tried lifting way heaiver than they thought, and they love it. I for one tried a workout invented in hell from another member here and I loved it (though if we ever meet, and he does live here in Rochester, I may kick his ass!:love:).

I just hate to see people spend so much time, money and effort and get now where.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com