Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Sleep Apnea

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/10/11, 09:18 PM
After doing a sleep over at a lab, I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. No wonder I am always tired and get repeated headaches. At one point I was asking myself "Is it over training". Now there is help on the way.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/10/12, 08:57 AM
I had the same issues, Ivan. My mouthguard has made a huge difference in my quality of life!:)

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/10/18, 06:54 AM
I have a friend who sleeps with a cpap (did i get that right) mask on every night and he said it made a HUGE difference.

--------------
It\'s a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart. - O Brother Where Art Thou
stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/10/18, 06:54 AM
I have a friend who sleeps with a cpap (did i get that right) mask on every night and he said it made a HUGE difference.

--------------
It\'s a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart. - O Brother Where Art Thou
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/10/20, 10:29 PM
Yeah, have dealt myself with the issue for years. For instance, in meetings my attention span is about 5 minutes. Any longer and almost cannot control my nodding out. I really need to see someone someday.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/10/21, 02:12 PM
Steve, thats right, your friend sleeps with this machine (Continuous Pathway Air Pressure) which consists of a mask and small machine with a humidifier built in to it. This machichine forces air into our air passage (through our nose) which prevents the airway from collapsing during sleep. Turns out I have severe apnea which means I used to stop breathing 37 times per hour.
No wonder I always had headaches, took a snooze in my car everyday, tired when I woke up in the morning and forced my self to train.
Ron, if you have insurance, they pay for the testing and equipment. The testing was $1250.00cdn and the machine runs aeound $1000.00. My insurance covers 100%.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/10/21, 08:37 PM
I have been tempted many times to do one of the clinical studies(be a participant). I hear about them all the time, I simply seem to never be able to find the time or do not want to make the time. No one's fault but mine.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/10/22, 09:38 PM
yea ive got severe apnea also, i use the under the nose or snorkle style mask, less intrusive than the full face unit, but they they both take a little getting used to. But i will agree, has made a big impact in my sleep patterns.....:)

--------------
I was bruised and battered and I couldnt tell
what I felt
I was unrecognizable to myself
Saw my reflection in a window I didnt know
my own face ...

Get busy living or get busy dying.