Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

skin sagging nursing and desperate

elaine0599
elaine0599
Canada
2006/03/19, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone, I have a 6 month old baby. My last child of 3- had the tubes tied and I am desperate to get into shape and have been reading all the tips on a nightly basis and just joined the gym. I weigh 200 lbs and am 5'3 and have the will power to do this, I want to lose this weight and get BUFFFFFF-----LOL,, But where do I start. I was thinking of doing the low carb thing because I heard that you can take off weight fast , i had 3 kids one after another and I want to lose saggy skin & wondering about nutrition for nursing. Does anyone have any advice on how to advoid the skin sag and the best diet to start with and weight lifting. right now when i go to the gym I do cardio for about an hour a day.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/03/20, 10:48 AM
Don't go low carb - shift your thinking to 'healthy lifestyle' not 'diet'. Small changes add up.
You need to especially think healthy variety of foods when nursing - that baby is depending on you for nutritious meals!

Start a total body routine, three times a week - something like this:

Warm-up on a machine for 5 minutes (treadmill, elliptical, etc.)

Do a set of 15 squats, holding db's

then a set of 12 push-ups
a set of walking lunges, 12-15 per leg
a set of 12 assisted pull-ups

Now go through the enitre routine again, 12 reps per set, a little heavier, then do a third round of all the exercises.

rest about 30 seconds to a minute between exercises and 2-3 minutes between rounds.

As far as cardio - do it on the days you don't do the weightlifting, and alternate - 1st cardio day do 30-45 minutes steady state cardio, 2nd cardio day do intervals of higher intensity work (look up HIIT in fit buddy). switch around which machines you use - try the stairclimber, the elliptical, don't shun the bikes, either!

Eat small meals every 3 hours, include lean protein, lots of fresh veggies, and some complex carbs like brown rice, beans or sweet potatoes. Don't totally avoid fat, try for healthy fats as salad dressing - olive oil, nuts, etc. Look in the nutrition forum, there is a post called grocery list for healthy eating - it is a good starting point.

Drink plenty of water - up to a gallon a day. It will help you flush out your system, and I know i was always really thirsty when breast feeding.

Keep taking your prenatal vitamins or get a good one-a-day vitamin- think of it as back-up nutrient insurance.

Losing weight sensibly will help prevent sagging skin - that means being patient and losing 1-2 pounds a week, which, incidentally, is also going to result in more permanent weight loss than a crash diet where you are deprived and lose weight rapidly.

--------------

If you have a strong enough why you can bear almost any how.
- Nietzsche
kaay
kaay
Malaysia
2006/04/29, 04:41 AM

============
Quoting from elaine0599:

Hi everyone, I have a 6 month old baby. My last child of 3- had the tubes tied and I am desperate to get into shape and have been reading all the tips on a nightly basis and just joined the gym. I weigh 200 lbs and am 5'3 and have the will power to do this, I want to lose this weight and get BUFFFFFF-----LOL,, But where do I start. I was thinking of doing the low carb thing because I heard that you can take off weight fast , i had 3 kids one after another and I want to lose saggy skin & wondering about nutrition for nursing. Does anyone have any advice on how to advoid the skin sag and the best diet to start with and weight lifting. right now when i go to the gym I do cardio for about an hour a day.
=============
Hi Elaine, a tradional way to lose weight keep breast feeding until you can. I bf my sons till 1 year and it was so easy to lose weight b4 I had my kids ( i was working than) it was difficult to lose weight. I don't know but its natures way of losing weight after pregnancy. Eat wisely yr baby needs it.I am sure u are hungry all the time.Its the bf yr baby and as asimmer suggest eat meal every 3 hrs I think its a good idea. Good Luck Elaine stay focus. Always belief u can do it.
stephanied715
stephanied715
United States
2006/05/22, 02:04 PM
I breastfeed as well and did drop about ten watery punds right off...but i am constantly hungry. If you are two then try grabbing a carrot or apple instead of chips. Also it is important to take the time for yourself before you feel tired...