Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Ready to Make a Lifestyle Change

CourtneyAllen
CourtneyAllen
United States
2008/09/07, 11:22 PM
Hey everyone! I'm here to make a Lifestyle change! I'm 18 years old and I've always been overweight. But unlike most people, my weight never really affected me. I was always a happy go lucky kid and even though i got teased a few times about my weight in elementary school, luckily I had pretty tough skin back then and didn't care what people said and I also had AWESOME friends so my weight never affected my social life. I've also been lucky enough that my weight hasn't affected my health either. I also never really saw myself as overweight. All my friends were skinny and in shape so I "saw" my self as in shape too..but every once in a while I get a little reality check. Like whenever we go to the mall and go shopping and they are all buy all these clothes, and I can't buy anything from these stores because they don't carry my size. Or whenever one of them would wake up early before school every once in awhile for no reason and would call everyone and say lets go to the gym or go jogging before school and we'd all get up and go and i'd be the one lagging behind the others and they'd feel bad and slow down to my pace. SO needless to say it's finally caught up with me. I'm starting to actually see myself for what I really am-MORBIDLY OBESE! I mean i am REALLY overweight. I'm a guy, i'm 5'8" and 354lbs!! I'm more that 200lbs overweight. I mean it's like i'm carrying two extra people on me!

It's all begun to take an emotional toll on me. I was starting to get really depressed about it. I also wasn't looking forward to starting another "diet" since all the "diets" i've tried have never worked, or i didn't put my all into it. And so tonight i got a little burst of inspiration to start trying to lose weight again. I get this burst every couple of months. So i found this website and I started to sign up and started to wonder "I wonder if this is going to be like all the other websites i've joined and then quit." So i was going through all the forums and then I saw VedaKathryn's post "%100 or Nothing" and she basically spoke to my soul. She was talking about me. About how you are %90 committed and %10 doubting yourself. Which was evident when i signed up for the site and asked myself that question.

Needless to say, she pushed that 90% up to 110%! I mean literally it was like she was reading my mind. As I was reading I was thinking "Ok I'm so psyched..I'm gonna start tomorrow after i finish this cake I just baked" and then she said in her post "We keep telling ourselves that we'll start after we finish this cake, or after my life is less stressful..and we NEVER DO" And she's exactly right. It's not about going on a "diet" (if that even really exists) it's about adopting a healthier lifestyle for YOURSELF. She's inspired me to go clean out my pantry, throw the cake a I JUST baked in the garbage, and trash my diet pills.

It's time to start reinventing a healthier adult ME! I would greatly appreciate any support and advice and tips you all could give me! This is going to be a long journey I'm ready to make the change!!!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/08, 07:06 AM
Awesome! Welcome to ft!:)

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2008/09/23, 09:36 PM
You know what?!!! You got there!! You are right there and you CAN do whatever it is you WANT to do! Trash the pills, trash the junk and DO IT!!! I love it, you just keep going, ok? Don't stop, just keep going and you will feel better every single day and be an inspiration to those you meet!!! :)

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill