Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Question

onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2006/08/18, 12:02 PM
Hi all. I am having trouble losing 40Ibs even though I lost about 10 from the south beach diet. I usually eat a big salad for 2 meals with maybe a veggie burger or chicken breast and for breakfast I eat 2 eggs and lowfat sausage and 1 onion. I love to jog/run but it seems lately that I stopped losing weight unless I skip dinner or if I am drastic with my eating or exercise. I don't know if I can handle doing this to drop all the 40Ibs. I try to jog/walk for 1 hour and 20 minutes or 1000 calories but I think my body has adapted to it since I used to run alot when I was younger (about 4 hours straight). My eating for most of the day is well off but I get sidelined by my sister because my family is all about tasty food, such as chipotle, taco bell, etc. I try to do the core exercises and other strength training after my workout but I tend to feel so drained. I've been chubby almost all my life and since I broke up with my boyfriend, I really want to take control and feel good about myself. I just don't know how to reach my goal the healthy way without losing my hair, health, and my senses. I went down the anorexic road and thats pretty much all I know. How do those of you who lost weight the healthy way do it? I am 5 foot 9 and 180Ibs and evenly proportioned so I don't look as heavy as I weight. I want to reach a size 5 jeans or maybe 140Ibs by next summer because I want to go to California. Hm.. I am typically alone when I want to workout (ie. jogging or walking outside) and I don't like working out to tapes or inside because I get bored easily and I don't try my best. I've begged my family to help me out with my diet plan but they always seem to try to tempt me even when they say they will. My weakness is overeating and emotional eating so I've managed to stop watching tv.
How much of the time should I eat very healthy? Is two salads for meals and eating eggs in the morning ok? Or is sensible eating such as maybe a taco bell salad without the shell or chicken instead of beef ok for normal meal times or is that held out for a cheat meal? I heard that for overweight people they should hold off on too much weight training until they've lost the weight. What is too much? Are deadlifts ok with 60Ibs plus the barbell and 10Ib weights ok or are they talking stretchbands and 5Ib weights. I don't want to be a stick but when I do strength train my legs feel bigger. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/08/18, 03:50 PM
============================================================
"How do those of you who lost weight the healthy way do it?"
============================================================
Not to be oversimplistic but most of those on here that have been successful did it one lb and one size at a time and slowly. It would take a couple of hours to properly answer your post and I won't even try at this point. Not to put you off but you are one that needs to REALLY read the thumb tack posts in the in the forums to educate yourself a little (actually a lot) more. You've been doing the extremes and extreme doesn't get it. I'm not sure where you got the idea that over weight people should hold off on weight training but that's a bunch of BS. Take an hour or so and browse the posts I mentioned and then come back and everyone will be glad to answer specific questions.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/18, 05:41 PM
i'm curious as to the tranlation/pronounciation of your screen name.....every way I pronounce it ...it sounds very dirty.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/08/18, 06:47 PM
This is what I got and was curious also.
One Little Horangi
Horangi
Used when surprised or excited.

Horangi! That chick has huge assets!
It was real horangi when Beav rolled up!
I was real horangi'd last night!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/08/18, 11:00 PM
its also korean for tiger :surprised:

<------- is a vast wealth of useless knowledge :laugh:

--------------
\"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.\"
~ Mark Twain

BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/08/18, 11:04 PM
Oops, i meant to also welcome Lilone to freetrainers also, welcome :)

--------------
\"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.\"
~ Mark Twain

onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2006/08/18, 11:40 PM
lol bill06 is right. It means tiger and you pronounce it ho rahng ee. I'm half korean so I gotta represent ^_^ I use that name because my personality is similar to a tiger's. Anyways all of you were so concerned with my name then what I'm asking lol.. please send some advice my way. ^_^
onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2006/08/18, 11:44 PM
how'd you know what it meant bill? Uh.. I used that name when I was young and just use it out of remembrance and nothing better to use. Thanks for the welcome!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2006/08/19, 12:19 AM
Well id love to tell ya im a world traveler and that im fluent
in korean, and japanese and such, but im not :), i studied some hapkido when i was younger, i really like the whole theory behind it, the dragon ( wise, strong willed, refined ) and the tiger ( strong, aggresive when needed ), mainly it was
helping me with some emotional problems after a tradegy in my life left me clueless. Im drawn to the history and mystery of the asian martial arts...

there's a ton of info on these message boards liltiger, use the fit buddy search engine at the bottoms of the page to search for anything you have questions with ok, if i can be of help, send me a pm...

p.s. you have very pretty eyes, well 1 eye is all i can see, but im guessing the other is preety also :big_smile:

--------------
~ Mark Twain

edivecchio
edivecchio
United States
2006/08/19, 08:19 AM
Welcome onelilhorangi. :)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/19, 09:22 AM
MY COMMENTS ARE IN THE TEXT, IN CAPS...

Hi all. I am having trouble losing 40Ibs even though I lost about 10 from the south beach diet. HOW LONG DID YOU ACTUALLY STAY ON THE SOUTH BEACH PLAN? USED CONSISTENTLY AND CORRECTLY, IT CAN BE VERY GOOD.
I usually eat a big salad for 2 meals with maybe a veggie burger or chicken breast and for breakfast I eat 2 eggs and lowfat sausage and 1 onion. SOUNDS LIKE YOU DON'T EAT ENOUGH OR ENOUGH PROTEIN. SLALD IS GREAT BUT NEEDS TO BE ACCOMPANIED BY PROTEIN AND WHOLE GRAINS. SIX SMALL MEALS ARE BETTER THAN 2 OR 3 LARGE ONES WHEN TRYING TO RAISE YOUR METABOLISM.
I love to jog/run but it seems lately that I stopped losing weight unless I skip dinner or if I am drastic with my eating or exercise. I don't know if I can handle doing this to drop all the 40Ibs. I try to jog/walk for 1 hour and 20 minutes or 1000 calories but I think my body has adapted to it since I used to run alot when I was younger (about 4 hours straight). YOUR BODY MAY HAVE ADAPTED - TRY SOME NEW TYPES OF EXERCISE. RENT SOME DVDS OR BORROW SOME FROM THE LIBRARY - KICKBOXING IS LOTS OF FUN AND BURNS A LOT OF CALORIES, AS WELL AS FIRMING UP YOUR GLUTES AND LEGS. YOU ALSO MAY WANT TO BEGING WIEHGT TRAINING AS WELL. I KNOW YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH GAINING WEIGHT, BEING A PAST ANOREXIC, BUT BELIEVE ME THAT FIRM MUSCLE WEIGHT IS A LOT DIFFERENT THAN FLABBY WEIGHT. MANY ANOREXICS FIND THAT THE WAY TO BEAT THE ILLNESS IS WEIGHT TRAINING AND THE NUTRITION NEEDED FOR SUCH A LIFESTYLE.
My eating for most of the day is well off but I get sidelined by my sister because my family is all about tasty food, such as chipotle, taco bell, etc. TRY CREATING YOUR OWN VERSIONS OF THOSE 'TASTY' FOODS. THERE ARE TONS OF RECIPES IN THE NUTRITION FORUM AND MANY WEBSITES WITH HEALTHY VERSIONS OF FAVORITE RECIPES. MAKE IT A NEW HOBBY TO LEARN TO SLIM DOWN FAVORITE RECIPES. I LOVE BIG TACO SALADS ON GREENS, MAYBE WITH SOME GOOD WHOLE GRAIN CORN CHIPS ON THE SIDE.CREATING HEALTHY VERSIONS OF FAVORITES FOODS CAN BE VERY SATISFYING.
I try to do the core exercises and other strength training after my workout but I tend to feel so drained. SEPERATE YOUR CARDIO WORKOUTS AND YOUR WEIGHTTRAINING. DO SOMETHING AEROBIC ON TUESDAY, THURSDAY AND SATURDAY. DO YOUR ABS AND WEIGHTLIFTING ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY. LOOK AT THE PROGRAMS HERE AT FT - YOU FILL OUT YOUR PREFERENCES AND GOALS AND IT WILL GENERATE A WORKOUT TO PRING AND TAKE TO THE GYM OR DO AT HOME.
I've been chubby almost all my life and since I broke up with my boyfriend, I really want to take control and feel good about myself. GOOD FOR YOU WANTING TO TAKE CONTROL. YOUR WORTH IS NOT DETERMINED BY YOUR WEIGHT OR BY SOME BOY'S FICKLE ATTRACTION.
I just don't know how to reach my goal the healthy way without losing my hair, health, and my senses. I went down the anorexic road and thats pretty much all I know. How do those of you who lost weight the healthy way do it? HEALTHY WEIGHTLOSS IS ABOUT LIFESTYLE CHANGES, NOT DIETS OR OBSESSIVE BEHAVIORS. PEOPLE WHO LOSE WEIGHT SENSIBLY AND SAFELY EAT A HEALTHY VARIETY OF WHOLE FOODS, EXERCISE ON A REGULAR BASIS AND CONTINUE LEARNING HOW TO BE FIT AND HEALTHY. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE SOME WORK TO DO TO BECOME MENTALLY HAPPY AND HEALTHY, AS WELL. BE IT SELF-HELP BOOKS OR COUNSELING, I RECOMMEND LOOKING INTO WHY YOU HAVE PURSUED SUCH SELF-DESTRUCTIVE MEANS OF WEIGHT LOSS ION THE PAST. MAYBE IT WAS SIMPLY MISINFORMATION, BUT MAYBE IT IS SYMPTOMATIC OF SOME DEPER ISSUES - WE ALL AHEV THEM AND ALL NEED TO DEAL WITH THEM TO BECOME HAPPY, HEALTHY AND FIT.
I am 5 foot 9 and 180Ibs and evenly proportioned so I don't look as heavy as I weight. I want to reach a size 5 jeans or maybe 140Ibs by next summer because I want to go to California. Hm.. I am typically alone when I want to workout (ie. jogging or walking outside) and I don't like working out to tapes or inside because I get bored easily and I don't try my best. THESE ARE EXCUSES - YOU MUST NOT HAVE TRIED VERY MANY VIDEOS, THERE ARE MANY FUN AND EXCITING WORKOUT VIDEOS. I LOVE GETTING NEW DVDS FROM THE LIBRARY TO TRY OUT EVERY WEEK OR SO. MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET INTO A SPORT THAT INTERESTS YOU, A TEAM SPORT THAT IS A LITTLE COMPETITIVE COULD BE VERY INTERESTING AND GIVE YOU SOME SOCIAL CONTACT THAT IS POSITIVE AND BUILDS SELF-ESTEEM. VOLLEYBALL, SOCCER, SOFTBALL...LOOK FOR A LOCAL LEAGUE OR CHECK AROUND AT LOCAL RECREATIONAL CENTERS.
I've begged my family to help me out with my diet plan but they always seem to try to tempt me even when they say they will. HAVE YOU EXPLAINED TO YOUR FAMILY THAT YOU WANT TO BE HEALTHIER, NOT JUST SKINNIER? THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE TO PARENTS. WATCHING YOUR CHILD TRY TO STARVE THEMSELVES IS VERY SCARY, HELPING YOUR CHILD BE HEALTHIER AND HAPPIER IS A DIFFERENT MATTER AND SOMETHING MOST PARENTS DESIRE. SIT DOWN AGAIN AND HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH YOUR FAMILY. BUT ALSO REALIZE THAT A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE INCLUDES SOME TREATS, SPECIAL OCCASIONS LIKE BIRTHDAYS, ETC. ARE TIMES WHERE YOU MAT WANT TO RELAX AND HAVE A TREAT.
My weakness is overeating and emotional eating so I've managed to stop watching tv. ??? I THINK I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MEAN YOU EAT IN FRONT OF THE TV AND HAVE STOPPED NOW... TRY KEEPING A FOOD JOURNAL AND RECORDING WHY YOU ARE EATING WHEN YOU EAT. IT WILL HELP YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH WHETHER YOU ARE EATING OUT OF HUNGER (GOOD) OR OUT OF ANGER, LONELINESS, SADNESS (FIND A HEALTHIER WAY TO DEAL WITH THOSE FEELINGS).
How much of the time should I eat very healthy? Is two salads for meals and eating eggs in the morning ok? Or is sensible eating such as maybe a taco bell salad without the shell or chicken instead of beef ok for normal meal times or is that held out for a cheat meal? EATING RIGHT 80-90% OF THE TIME AND HAVING TREAT MEALS SHOULD WORK FOR YOU. THAT MEANS THE TACO BELL IS A TREAT, MAYBE ONCE A WEEK AND THE REST OF THE TIME YOU ARE EATING SIX SMALL, BALANCED MEALS NOT STARVING. SPEND SOME TIME IN THE OTHER FORUMS LEARNING HOW TO EAT FOR HEALTH.
I heard that for overweight people they should hold off on too much weight training until they've lost the weight. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WEIGHT TRAINING WILL FIRE UP YOUR METABOLISM AND HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT/FIRM UP.
What is too much? Are deadlifts ok with 60Ibs plus the barbell and 10Ib weights ok or are they talking stretchbands and 5Ib weights. I don't want to be a stick but when I do strength train my legs feel bigger. I ALREADY ADDRESSED THIS ABOVE AND THE FORUMS ARE FULL OF 'HOW MUCH' TYPE POSTS.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

--------------

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/19, 09:23 AM
Oh, and I am sooo relieved that horangi means tiger, not that your name is angi and you call yourself that....:)

--------------

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln
onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2006/08/19, 10:44 PM
Asimmer: Thanks for the advice. lol yea I need to change my id. I'm too old for it.I picked it up when I was in middle school lol.
I've noticed that since I came back from staying in NY, for a visit, that I've turned a complete 180 and going back to how it used to be, which is going out and eating not so healthy things. Uh.. my family is ALL about food. But I will try your advice and attempt more self control on the food front and try new things. I want to play soccer but I'm alittle aggressive.
edivecchio: Thanks for the welcome!:)
Bill: lol thanks for the compliment on my one eye lol. I am not much of a computer person and that picture is old. Yea, I wish I went into martial arts.
Anyways, I hope all is fine since then after the tragedy. I've had a major tragedy with the death of my dad due to brain cancer. These things can really confuse you and leave you out in the dust even after years. I hope all is well with you.
But yea, thank you for your advice. Hehe I finally know what to do. I just need a push the right way.

Thanks all who replied to this topic!