Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Overeater needs help

bikerdawg
bikerdawg
United States
2007/07/10, 10:17 PM
Hi all. I'm 40, 5'10" and 280 and have a major problem with overeating. Even when I am satisfied or even full, I continue to eat, sometimes until feeling miserable. I've heard it all, just push away, put the fork down, etc. It's not that simple. I feel that I must eat more or have bigger portions in order to be nutritionally content, even when that food is pie or cake.

I really need help understanding this and finding a way to beat it. Is there anyone out there facing this too? Any help will be appreciated!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/07/11, 05:48 PM
Try this ---I had this problem, went from anorexic to gorging and throwing up, then just gorging! Not good...but by eating 4-6 smaller meals throughout the day, it really helped, heap on the lettuce for salads and it is a lot to eat! Find things that are filling, certain things, like lettuce, carrots, etc. take a long time to digest, and you will find that eating that many times amounts to what feels like eating nearly non-stop throughout the day! It seems I just finish and it is time to dish up again!! Good luck!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
cperschke
cperschke
United States
2007/07/26, 03:36 PM
Hey Bikerdawg, I have had that exact same problem most of my life. Im 25, and right now I'm 265lbs at 5"10. I was 320lbs last year at this time. What I found Worked for me was a big dose of Vedakathryn's previous advice to you. I spread my meals out through the day. At first it felt really wierd to me and I found I was eating more food than before, but soon I realized that I was eating every 2-3 hours and I was loosing weight. I coupled this with a very good regimen of Vitamins(so my body didn't crave them) and I have made lot's of progress. Hope I helped.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/07/27, 02:29 PM
Hi Bikerdawg. Veda's provided some great advice. I have some advice to help you stop overeating at each meal (weather it is one or 6 meals a day). When you sit down to a meal, first of all don't eat in front of the TV. That's very hard for some people, but you should focus on your meal, if you are paying attention to the tele, you won't realize how much you've eatten. Additionally, don't bring the food to the dinner table. Only individual plates with YOUR portion on it. At dinner time, I will dish up food for myself, my husband and my two boys. I will box up the rest and put it away in the fridge or freezer before we even sit down to dinner and will throw the pots and pans into the dishwasher. It's almost like when I am having a meal, it's "final". There are no more left overs to go snack on, I got what I got, period.
Another couple of tips:
1. Drink plenty of water with your meal. I will almost guzzle down a glass of water before I even start eating.
2. Have a conversation with your wife at dinner. A back and forth conversation, and you do NOT talk with food in your mouth when it's your turn! This is just gross regardless of losing weight. All men take heed, talking with your mouth full is GROSS!
3. When you take a bite, pay attention to it. I analyize every bite I take. I pay attention to the texture, the temperature, the flavor, etc. If you are scarfing your food, you won't appreciate it.
4. Chew slowly. Refer to #3. But, also. It takes an average of 20 minutes for you to feel the effects of the food you have eaten. If you take 20 minutes to slowly eat a well balanced and portioned meal, you will feel satisfied yet not bloated and gross when you are finished. The best feeling in the world is when you finally learn how much you need to meet your nutritional needs without overindulging. It's such a "light" yet "full" feeling. I can't describe, but after years of either feeling starving or full to the point of wanting to throw up, it's a great feeling.
5. Make a food journal. When you write down every morsel that goes into your mouth, you suddenly are much more concious of what you do and do not put into your mouth. You'll think "I can eat this extra piece of cake, but how am I going to feel tomorrow when I see it in my journal!?"
Good luck biker and hang in there! It will get easier.
On a side note, looked at your profile. Be sure to ALWAYS wear a helmet when you go riding. ;)
bikerdawg
bikerdawg
United States
2007/07/30, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone! I will use your suggestions. Amy, I wear my helmet most of the time simply because I like my head where it is. Besides, I've ridden without and, since I'm bald, not much worse than a sunburned noggin.:laugh:
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/07/30, 03:07 PM
Funny biker. I imagine that it's not great to have a sunburned head! My husband and son were in a bad bike accident in October last year. They were stopped in traffic 10 blocks from home and got rear-ended by a drunk driver. Both were thrown from the bike and landed on their heads. Helmets saved both of their lives! So, we still love bikes, and still love to ride, but I also preach helmets like crazy. Sorry about that. ;)