Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

o lifts..with acomadating resistance...

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/05/27, 09:23 PM
I read on elite fitness...abotu some guys doing clenas and such with chains etc.

Chains I could see.....but not bands....seems like it woudl slap you back in the head.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2007/05/28, 11:15 AM
I'm not too sure about doing this: maybe chains, but even this is right on the verge of defeating the purpose of doing explosive lifts. If you're doing them correctly, you're already generating more than 100x more power than, say, the bench press. And in order to maintain power development, you want to stay below 85% 1RM. So, if by using chains, you end up going over that, you're slowing down your power. And if you adjust the weight to maintain that threshold (including chains), then you may be dropping below a threshold of fiber stimulation.

I'm not saying it's worthless, just maybe too difficult to stay within a range of productivity to be efficient.

--------------
Michael

Humble, even in Victory.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/05/30, 09:28 AM
I think it's a bad idea. I heard about the guys at USAF academy doing cleans with chains, but they've since abandoned that idea.

For one thing, you're begging to destroy your wrists. If that bar isn't moving fast enough for your wrists to SNAP under the bar, you are in risk of catching in correctly and destroying your hand. I caught a clean wrong because I was using a bar that didn't rotate as well as it should and it ripped my thumb off my hand. That was at the begining of last summer and it still hurts consistently.

Also, since there is so much movement, if the lift is done correctly (rather than just a speed deadlift with a catch), the chains would be swaying too much to be safe.

Michael already said a lot, but I'll add this to the discussion of speed vs. resistance:
When training the oly lifts, most lifters do not approach failure. This is because at maximal weights, technique and speed degrade so much that you are not developing as much power as you could. I don't recall the numbers off hand, but when the soviets were keeping records, the vast majority of lifts were done in the 75-85% range (you can find out if you have a copy of science and practice of strength training).

Of course, I could be wrong...

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/06/01, 02:38 PM
doubt I'm gonna do them..just seemed interesting.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.