Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

NSAID's

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/14, 11:57 AM
I have railed on these for a long time, talking about how hard they are on the liver, ets....just because they are OTC folks pop them like crazy. Well, here is some quite distubing news...

acetaminophen, known best by the brand name Tylenol. In the last weeks of last year, this ubiquitous over-the-counter medicine - the nation's leading pain reliever, in fact - was found by recent research to be the nation's leading cause of acute liver failure as well.

According to a recent Associated Press article, research conducted by scientists from two leading American medical facilities (the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and the University of Washington Medical Center) concludes that NEARLY HALF of all cases of acute liver failures in 662 patients from 22 liver transplant centers over a 6-year span were caused by acetaminophen poisoning.

What's even more disturbing is the upward trend in the incidence of acetaminophen poisoning this research revealed. In 1998, only 28% of the study's liver poisonings could be blamed on acetaminophen

- by 2003, that number had ballooned to 51%. More than 7 out of ten of these victims died as a result. Also remarkable is the fact that 48% of these cases were from UNINTENTIONAL OVERDOSES, while only 44% were from suicide attempts (OTC painkillers are common approaches to self-offing)...

--------------
Strength and Honor!
2006/01/14, 03:39 PM
Yep...I forget I think it was Tom Prince who was admittingly taking 2 pages worth of steroids yet what almost killed him where the OTC pain killers he was popping like crazy to deal with the pain after workouts....his kidneys were barely functioning when he was rushed to the hospital...

Not necessarily sure the drugs are to blame for the suicide attempts...obviously if some idiot swallows bottle of that crap...what can you do? obviously taking 50-200 times recommended dosage on the bottle is going to be toxic...
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/15, 07:37 PM
so, is there any safe pain reliever?

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/16, 10:28 PM
How much of OTC is considered toxic for a person? If you take 1-3 per week are you in the clear or stay away from it all together?
Is aleve in the same group, worse or better?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/18, 12:07 PM
Take any aspirin, acetaminophen, Cox-2s, whatever - when you NEED them. Never forget that these are powerful drugs, and should be treated with respect and not overused (or overdosed on).

--------------
Strength and Honor!
2006/01/19, 08:20 PM
Hasn't aleve been linked to increased risk(by like 50%) of heart attacks?

chellie that's fine...1-3 per week is nothing...unless you're allergic to them....some people take 2-3 tablets in one sitting 2-4 times a day.....for example bodybuilder I referred to was taking 8 per day....
LaudieDah
LaudieDah
United States
2008/07/21, 01:16 PM
Speaking of NSAIDs, because of the anti-inflammatory effect would there be any way of it decreasing muscle mass in that b/c the muscles aren't inflamed the body doesn't kick into repair mode quite as much? I've wondered about this...b/c my husband was taking something from a doctor to supposedly help strengthen his back muscles and he was instructed not to take NSAIDs while the RX lasted b/c it would interfere.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/21, 01:55 PM
Just read a new study on these...seems in 'small' amounts, there is no issue. As usual, 'abuse' something and then you do have issues.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer