Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

new to this, looking for help

maztecinc
maztecinc
United States
2008/02/24, 01:19 AM
I am currently 95lbs over weight, 5'5" @ 231lbs. A COE I have a tendancy to go for it and not stop. Carbs are personal faves. I recently (01/08) joined a gym and have went twice, i have gained a sense of social anxiety since gaining the weight, from social butterfly to grade A hermit loser who locks herself inside all day and doesn't open the door.. I can get over the psychological issues. What I can't do is find the motivation to deal with this pathetic way I have learned to live and accepted as my life. I need to somehow someway muster up the strength, ambition and drive to follow through with this, if for no one else than for my three year old son. I can't keep up any more.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/29, 08:32 AM
OK Repeat this to yourself out loud :

"My worth as a human bieng is not defined by my weight. Being overweight does not make me a bad person. "

You are simply a person who has made some choices that have lead you in a different direction than it turned out you wanted to go. So - now you need to make different decisions and go in the direction you want and deserve. You deserve health, you deserve fitness - you deserve the awesome feeling you get when you finish one minute more on the treadmill than last time, or lift one pound more than you thought you could.

Start each day by looking in the mirror and liking yourself - treat yourself like a riend - would you insult and belittle a friend who has made some poor choices and wants to change? NO! You would speak words of encouragement, you would tell them they deserve to take time for themselves, you would be supportive.

I self-talk myself all the time - sounds dumb, but it works. Even just as much as saying "you can do this" can help.

As far as feeling out-of-place at the gym - put on some headphones and a hoodie and be the mysterious woman in the weight room until you feel less uncomfortable. You also have to remember that everyone there is so wrapped up in worrying about themselves they hardly notice you :)

You have labeled yourself as pathetic, a loser, etc...change those labels and take some positive action. I always feel better when i sit down and think - okay, I am not happy with where that decision lead me - what can I do diffwerently? How can I take action to go the direction i want/need to go - then I wrtie out a list of actions/steps/goals and find that by the end of the process I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. creating a plan and setting goals is very motivating and them you have something to read over when you feel less motivated that reminds you why you are doing what you are doing.

As far as getting out of th ehouse and to the gym - here are a few tips:

Make it non-negotiable - tell yourself that you have to go and at least do 10 minutes. If you still aren't into it, you can leave after 10 minutes of exercise. usually you will stay and do the rest of your workout.

Keep a gym bag packed and ready to go in your trunk or by the front door. This way you don't have the "i'm not ready' excuse.

OR keep your tennis shoes and gym clothes right on your dresser and put them on first thing inthe morning, signaling that it is first thing on the agenda to go workout after a light, healthy breakfast.

What else???? Stick around here, read the sticky posts at the top of each forum, ask for help and ask questions and make some online motivation buddies - there are lots of people here in the same shoes!

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach