Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

New memeber seeking advice

newanddiff
newanddiff
United States
2007/12/26, 10:54 PM
Hey Everyone,
I'm a brand new member here eager for some great advice. I'm currently 22yrs old, 6'0 and 265 lbs. I try to play tennis as much as possible and when I do it is usually 1.5-2 hours a day. I recently joined a gym and really like it so far, I have been there each day so far besides one day they were closed so I rested. I have a huge stomach with lots of fat around it as well as very muscular legs from playing soccer when I was younger. My main fitness goal is to loose the fat and the huge stomach and I'm wondering if this forum can help me? On the treadmill it says that to burn the most calories most efficiently my heart rate should be at around 129;however, the lowest I can get it is about 140-150 and that is only walking at about 4.0mph which is really slow. In my first day I ran a mile with 2 mile walking at 4mph and 2 minute running at 6mph. Today I did walking for 2, 4, 6 minutes at 4.0 and running at 6.0 for 3 minutes, 2, and 6 minutes. Can people advise me how to be the most efficient in calorie burning/ Please note I'm not interested in the "easy way out" I'm willing to put the work but want to make sure what I'm doing is actually burning calories and not destroying the minimal muscle i do have under the fat. Please let me know if you need more details.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/27, 09:35 AM
Welcome new. To lose the belly fat, the clean (healthy) diet is most important. Cardio workouts will also help. But, you can't do one without the other and really get the results you are looking for. I would not be concerned about the heart rate. The heavier you are the higher your heart rate, even when resting. I would recommend finding a heart rate calculator that tells you what your optimum heart rate is as well as the maximum heart rate. As long as you don't push your heart into a danger zone and hold it there you should be ok. Sorry I don't know a website or any tools to help you figure that. Maybe someone else does. Good luck and keep coming back here, the support and info is excellent.
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/12/28, 01:20 PM
Weight training is a great way to gain muscles and loose fat, and it makes you feel very healthy as well.

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there... one kg at a time...
-----------------------------------