Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

New here and new to excersing and diet

sk4399
sk4399
United States
2007/12/15, 08:58 PM
I am 30 year old woman (5' 4" 155 pounds) and after being pregnant for 2 out of the last 4.5 years I am dieting and excersing for the first time in my life! I used a health calculator to find out how many calories I need to consume to lose 2 pounds per week while excersising 30 minutes 3-5 days per week (1231). My question is I've heard that walking (on a treadmill) for a few minutes then running off and on for a minute for 30 minutes is best. Also, someone reccomended that I use a protein shake once a day (something I know nothing about) as part of my 1200 calories, and advice? What will it do? Thanks for reading.

My goal weight is 120.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/12/17, 08:08 PM
The type of exercise you describe is Intervals. 1200 calories a day sounds a lttle low. If you want to lose, and you weigh 155 now I would recomend about 1860 calories per day. In order to maintain one's present weight, one would have to consume about 15 calories per lb. The 1860 is based on 12cal/lb at 155.
At 1231 calories a day you would be starving yourself.
The protein shake is a supplement if you can't eat enough protein to make up part of your daily nutrients. It is not necessary, but will add to your caloric intake.
What about other exercises like resistance/ weight training?

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/12/18, 07:11 PM
Hi SK,
welcome to FT, you're in the right place for good information.
Interval training or HIIT (High intensity interval training) is very good for cardio vascular fitness. I'm not sure about the science behind it, but my understanding is that it does two things, keeps your body guessing (so it has to burn more calories) and also means more minutes at a higher intensity.

I would suggest starting with a less intense cardio program to begin with if you haven't exercised for a couple of years. 30 mins, or even better 20 mins with a minute or two rest then another 20 mins of an increased heart rate will work wonders for the first few weeks.

Once that is easier start to add in HIIT. I think I started with something like a ten minute session (made of 10 x 1 minute intervals) and after a week added an interval and kept adding them till I was up to 30 minutes (15 intervals of 1 min high, 1 min low).

Make sure you're eating enough calories for your body to be comfortable letting go of that stored energy, it's a real miser!

Hope that helps!