Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Need some advice!

SamanthaNicole
SamanthaNicole
Canada
2012/02/20, 11:38 AM
I weight approx. 115 pounds and my goals are to tone up, lose that extra fat but I've been told before that inorder to lose my stomach fat in my ab an oblique areas I have to do cardio? The only problem is I don't have much time in my schedule so should I do a 30 min full body at home workout OR Just 30 minutes of cardio. I want quick results of course but I only have 30 minutes a day. If I were to just do the workouts with no cardio would I lose fat or just gain muscle under my fat? Probably sounds like a stupid question, but I'll never know unless I ask! Thanks! :)
Samantha xo.
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/02/20, 01:36 PM (Edited: kolhy - 2012/02/20, 03:45 PM)
Very common question.

No, you can’t spot reduce fat.

Doing core exercise (crunches, sit-up’s) are great for core strength, but do nothing for the fat laying on top of them. To get rid of fat, you’ll need to do cardio. The pattern of fat removal (just like it’s deposit) is dependent on genetics. Generally, you’ll take it off last where you tend to put fat on first. The speed at which you can blast fat is also dependent on genetics, age, gender, but more importantly, the intensity and frequency of your cardio sessions.

Generally speaking, you should be doing 3-4 days of cardio (but 5-7 days/wk will take it off quicker). The duration of each session is dependent on your intensity (the harder you go, the shorter duration needed). If you’re short on time, high intensity interval training might be your best bet. Of course, this is all said without knowing your training history, fitness level, health status, and level of commitment.

Having said all this, it’s important to note that EVEN if you do all this, you’ll still not see the results without taking into consideration your diet – and I don’t mean counting calories! Contrary to what you may read and hear, this old way of thinking (a calorie is just a calorie) is just plain wrong. The research that has been coming out over the past several years is debunking this myth …but perhaps this is a discussion for another thread.

Lastly, let me remind you that everything that you do to accomplish your goals you’ll need to continue lest you return to square one. Tough to do, you say? Yes! That is way you don’t see everyone walking around with beautiful toned abs.

My solution to you? Ensure that whatever you do is sustainable. This means, learning to enjoy it. As shocking as it may sound, eating healthy and leading an active lifestyle can be wonderful and easily adopted as a permanent lifestyle change – provided you go about it the right way. In my opinion, not on a treadmill and limiting calories!

Good luck!
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/02/20, 02:10 PM
I just realized you said you were 115 lbs.
How tall are you? I’m not sure how much fat you could have on you!
SamanthaNicole
SamanthaNicole
Canada
2012/02/20, 08:33 PM
5'4 5'5 ish? ya I don't have much fat but I'd like to lose what I do have and gain a little muscle forsure.
And you answered my question perfectly thanks!