Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Need Advice On Losing A Bunch Of Weight

bdpalmbos
bdpalmbos
United States
2009/01/24, 12:00 AM
I am 33 year old male, and have unfortunatly let myself go since graduating highschool 15 years ago. I have battled my weight all my life, I have always been the fat kid. When I graduated I weighed 230lbs. After settling down and starting a family I have put on another 100lbs over the past 15 some odd years. It's time to get my health in order so that I can be around for my kids down the road. To this point I have been pretty fortunate not having the health issues that plague many obesse people. I don't have any issues with diabetes, or high blood pressure, but if I keep heading down this road it will probably be a matter of time. My wife has lost about 75lbs over the past 16 months so I know it can be done, and have the support from her as well. She is a stay at home Mom, so it is a little easier for her to find the time to go to the gym while the kids are at school. Since the first of the year I made a commitment to myself to do what I can to improve my health. I found this website and have set up the fitness program to give me a guide with my workouts. A community rec center has just opened up in one of the schools just minutes from our house, and also right on the way to work. They have some very nice equipment from treadmills, elipticles, and bikes to nautalas and free wights. I have been going to the rec center 3 days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri) in the morning before work. Unfortunatly I also have a desk job, so that doesn't help with my activity level. My workouts to this point have consisted of a 10 minute warm up, typically on a tread mill, followed by 30 minutes of weight training, following the program on this website, and finally 20 minutes of cardio on either the treadmill (jogging and walking), the eliptical, or on the bike. Just wondered if this seems to like a good start. The rec center also has a pool available and I have been contimplating on perhaps swimming one day a week. Sorry to be so lengthy. Thanks, Bill P.
kendawallace
kendawallace
United States
2009/02/11, 04:07 PM
Thats great that you have a rec center, thats where I work out as well. I know its hard to find time to work out, it works out great for me if I get up and go from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. I walk on the treadmill for 30 min.(usually a mile) then I use the weight equipment for 30 min. and after I swim in the pool for 1 hr. I do this for 5 days a week. And I know alot of men dont like to use weight watchers, but with me being almost 400 lbs I had to do something, and I lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks. Anyway I wish you luck on your weight loss journey.
WALK23
WALK23
United States
2009/05/02, 01:42 AM
2 Things:
1) Work up to 45 minutes/day 5 days a week on the our treadmill. I would recommend no weight training until you are walking at a pace comfortably for several weeks before I began a weight routine. The idea is to increase your metabolism by walking more often without worrying about muscle building until you've lost some weight. Then incorporate weights with a high rep scheme along with your cardio. Believe it or not walking is going to be your biggest asset in your weight loss goal.
2) Eat for energy with foods that are low in calories but high in energy, i.e. honey in unsweetened tea. Go low carbs for 2 weeks before putting them back into your diet.
Diablos_Azul
Diablos_Azul
United States
2009/05/03, 06:54 AM
I would like to reccomend kettle bell training to you and to anyone who wants to kick their training up a notch. I have moved on to a 24 kg bell (53 pounds), but the one I had the best results with was my 16kg (35 pounds). My favorite workout was to set a timer to 20 minutes and start it, I'd do 5 snatches with each hand, then do it again everytime a new minute rolled around for a total of 200, or 100 with each hand. After awhile I started throwing in 5 push ups after the snatches.