Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Morning Workout Food

kumaran-r
kumaran-r
Malaysia
2007/11/23, 09:21 AM
Hi

I've been thinking of switching my workout to the mornings. Thing is, do I need to eat before I workout? I often take bread with a malt drink and fruit (bananas often) for breakfast.
I've read I should take something light before working out but as I workout at home, that doesn't leave me much time to digest the food. I've thought of taking milk (It's the cheapest option) before working out. By the time I bathe and pray and what not, about an hour later, I can take my normal breakfast. Is this ok? Does it mean I can eat later the night before?

Thanks.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/11/24, 07:45 PM
Hi kumaran and welcome to FT. Before being able to answer your question, we would need to know what type of goals and exercise routine you are on. What you eat before your workout dramatically influences the amount of energy you have to be able to train as hard as you possibly can. Since there are such a variety of types of training, we would be able to give you a better idea of what your pre-workout nutrition should be if we know your goals and exercise program you currently have in place.

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/25, 06:14 PM
As a general rule, except in 'extreme' cases such as obesity, fuel pre workout does in no way affect fat burning, and can do nothing but help preserve lean mass.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

kumaran-r
kumaran-r
Malaysia
2007/11/27, 09:28 AM
Well, I'm mostly aiming to maintain what I have now. I do mostly weights and machines in the mornings for about 30 mins. It's not very heavy, I think. I've tried this twice and have been ok, I don't feel tired and perform the same without pre workout fuel. As I can't cook in the mornings, I only have bread to fuel up on later, with peanut butter, honey or diabetic jam (I'm not diabetic) and fruits and nuts.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/27, 07:41 PM
You may want to look into MRP's. These have been greatly improved, and ideal for quick, fairly fast absorbing nutrition. You can get a higher protein/lower carb variety for quick absorbtion and thus quick fuel. It will be naturally lower in calories also.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer