Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Morning walk in the cold cold morning

Diana123
Diana123
Hungary
2004/02/01, 02:51 PM
Hi all!!Two questions, first:is getting up and going for a brisk walk on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for about 30 minutes worth as about as much as a cardio at the gym after breakfast? second: since it's pretty cold here, does the body burn significantly more calories to keep warm or is that amount not that much more? Thanks!
ioioio
ioioio
Kuwait
2004/02/01, 03:44 PM
Your first question. Going to the gym after breakfast is a much better cardio, your body needs it's food especially after you have woken up in the morning. Question 2, i am not a proffesional but i think that the body doesn;t burn significantly more calories to keep warm. Bye diana123
aaronmp2003
aaronmp2003
United States
2004/02/01, 05:32 PM
Dina,

ioioio is correct - your body needs calories to power a good workout, especially after sleeping. You don't need a HUGE breakfast, but you should eat something healthy before heading out.

As far as staying warm, although the act of shivering is by definition, a way of generating heat be expending energy, there is not a significant additional calorie burn from that.

Let me know how else I can help.

--------------
Aaron M. Potts
Aarons Personal Training
http://www.aaronspersonaltraining.com
http://www.issacertifications.com
Jacksonville, FL
Diana123
Diana123
Hungary
2004/02/02, 07:07 AM
Thanks Aaron. I do have another question relating to the empty stomach workout. I have read in a lot of places that a 30-45 minutes cardio workout on an empty stomach is a really good fat burner, and so that is why I asked if I should eat or not beforehand. I know that if weight training is involved in a workout then breakfast is essential to power the muscles, but I wasn't sure about only cardio. So you say that a breakfast is a must either way?
Julisa
Julisa
United States
2004/02/02, 07:25 AM
So what to do if you have a hard time eating in the mornings? I can barely drink the shake that I have resorted to in the am. Diana, the only difference I have noticed between cold and warm is that I feel more fatigued after running in the cold. Aaronmp, can you help me find a logical reason for this?
aaronmp2003
aaronmp2003
United States
2004/02/02, 11:49 AM
Diana and Julisa,

As to whether or not to eat before cardio vs. weight training in the morning, the answer is indeed both. For weight training, yes you need the energy, as you do for cardio. However, for cardio, the prime reason for doing it (other than heart health) is to lose bodyfat and exercise your legs.

Well, the leg muscles need the energy from food, just as they would if you were going to do weight training. Also, the biological cycle that is involved in breaking down bodyfat to be used for energy is called the Krebs Cycle. The Krebs Cycle is sparked by the energy produced from carbohydrates. So, if you don't have enough carbs in your system, you run the risk of your body breaking down lean muscle tissue instead of fat for energy, which is the LAST thing that you want.

As far as not wanting to eat breakfast, it is just a matter of finding something that you enjoy. Between energy shakes, meal replacement bars, and traditional breakfast foods, finding some way to get calories into your system is just a matter of finding something that you will consume in the morning. Don't forget to consider energy drinks (other than shakes) as a potential source of carbs before a morning workout.

As to feeling more fatigued after working out in the cold, the simple reason is that your body IS working harder in the cold than when temperatures are more moderate. Although there isn't a significantly increased calorie burn, there IS an increase, and your brain also has to work a lot harder to control the body systems used during the workout, as well as the processes used to keep warm. All of that adds up to a more fatigued feeling post-workout.

--------------
Aaron M. Potts
Aarons Personal Training
Jacksonville, FL
Diana123
Diana123
Hungary
2004/02/03, 03:08 AM
Wow, thanks Aaron, some very useful info here. I never heard of the Krebs cycle before but now that I know, I will be sure to eat before any type of exercise....muscle being burned is the last thing I want. So do you think that a banana shake,let's say half a banana with 1 cup of milk, (or any kind of shake really) is a good enough source of energy before a workout? It has protein and carbs and a mininmal amount of fat. Of course AFTERwards I'd eat a granola bar with jogurt or something, but is a shake sufficient beforehand? Thanks for the great info so far!!!
aaronmp2003
aaronmp2003
United States
2004/02/03, 05:32 AM
You are most welcome, Diana!

And yes, a banana and milk shake would be perfect. The idea is as you have stated - to have a source of energy. That doesn't necessarily have to come from a standard size meal or even a traditional breakfast food - whatever gets you some quality carbs and protein.

Good luck with your program!

--------------
Aaron M. Potts
Aarons Personal Training
Jacksonville, FL
Julisa
Julisa
United States
2004/02/03, 08:07 AM
Thanks Aaron, I honestly had never thought about just a good old energy drink!
kevinjohn
kevinjohn
United Kingdom
2006/08/07, 08:57 AM
what time of day is best to exercise