Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Making Eating Healthy Fun

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/17, 07:56 PM
Cristal, you need to print out the grocery list for a body builder and make your choices just from that list. A healthy lifestyle doesn't just mean counting calories, it means getting those calories from healthy foods, in healthy combinations, every day.

If you think that list doesn't apply to you because you are "not a body builder", you are wrong. That list is for everyone. Stick to the foods on that list, create yummy imaginative meals, and you will find that you are successful in meeting your health and lifestyle goals.

--------------
Anni

In my head, I am out of my mind....
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/02/17, 12:58 PM
Hi guys. Just wanted to let you in on something that has really been helpful the past 3 weeks for me. Eating healthy is usually boring....the same old stuff day after day, and that is why we fall back on naughty foods. Well, I have been given access to a few recipies that are pretty healthy, tasty, and look good too! We just have to be creative, and add new ways to cook the same foods, and eating well won't be a chore anymore it will be fun!! If anyone wants a sample recipie, let me know and I will post one!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/17, 03:28 PM
Hey, sample away! I am always game for a new recipe, especially a good, healthy one!
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/02/17, 03:58 PM
Here's the one we are having for our Date Night on Friday.

Coconut Chicken

Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1in strips. Soak in a mixture of buttermilk and thyme overnight.

The next day, coat the chicken strips in a mixture of 1cup unsweetened coconut and 2 tbsp of flour until they are well coated. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. They should come out nice and golden brown and crispy.

Serve beside a dipping sauce made of 1/2 cup apricot preserves, 4tbsp dijon mustard, 2tsp horseradish, 2tbsp ff sour cream and a dash of hot pepper sauce.

Serve with spicey green beans (par boil and then sautee in 2tbsp olive oil with 2 crunshed cloves of garlic and hot pepper flakes) a salad, and if your diet permits a roll.

I am excited to try this. Overall, much more flavorful than what I would think of on my own, and much healthier than some of the other things I WOULD come up with on my own!
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/17, 06:11 PM
That sounds great Cristal, but if you are eating clean just be sure to leave out the buttermilk, coconut, flour, and apricot preserves!

--------------
Anni

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/02/17, 06:55 PM
hmm.....so does that mean that all condiments are out? Just curious, because I want to eat healthy, but don't want to choke down food either. If you can "afford" it in your daily intake, wouldn't those things be ok, assuming you are using them in moderation?
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/18, 09:23 AM
...bummer, CristalBelle, it sounded soooooo good!

I am going to print out the body builder list right now, I thought it was more geared toward individuals looking to bulk up, I do weights 3-5 times a week, but didn't consider myself anywhere near "body-builder" status yet, lol! That will help me quite a bit with my decisions, I'll bet, help take a lot of the guess work out of it! Thanks, Anni!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/02/18, 09:38 AM
Read the labels of the things that you eat. I always read the labels looking for things such as hi fructose corn syrup so that I can avoid hidden stuff.

--------------
I was 17 years old the first time my father told me he loved me.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/02/18, 10:01 AM
maybe that wasn't the best recipe to post...I don't know...I do have the bodyuilder's grocery list, abd try to buy foods off that, but I also like to use flavor enhancing things in my cooking, not a lot mind you, but if it's on recipie's list for seasonings i probably have it. I will try to find another recipie that I think is healthier(shouldn't be too hard) and post it too see what you guys think...how's that?
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2005/02/18, 03:04 PM
cristal maybe you can eat the recipe, just make healthy changes, like get whole wheat flour to use instead of white flour, fat free buttermilk instead of regular, get sugar free apricot preserves, and fat free sour cream, don't sautee the green beans in oil use pam if you want to sautee them, and make the sald HUGE!!!

in reality doing that is better than eating fast food. I'm not trying help give you excuses, but if this is your new lifestyle, then you'll need to be able to do it every day. Also, I don't understand what is bad about buttermilk. In recipes 1 cup of buttermilk can be substituted with 1 cup yogurt or 1 cup of sour milk or 1/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup yogurt. You can get fat free buttermilk too, so I guess maybe the problem is the sugars in it?
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/19, 08:07 AM
You ladies need to spend some serious time reading the posts on all the boards. Eating clean and proper nutrition are subjects which are discussed at length on a daily basis. The people who are successful at reaching their goals are the people who follow a clean diet. No, it isn't as exciting as chicken soaked in buttermilk, rolled in coconut and then shoved into apricot preserves, but it's very exciting to meet goals and not be overweight.

I realize that this may seem harsh and I feel that we have failed you all in some huge and meaningful way because you don't seem to know the basics of accomplishing weight loss through healthy eating.

It's all here on these board and it's free. Just because you aren't benching 300lbs does not mean that these things don't apply to you. I'm so sorry that we have not been communicating this effectively.

--------------
Anni

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/02/19, 08:22 AM
What is wrong with lowfat buttermilk and apricot preserves? Just because we are eating healthy doesnt mean that we have to eat plain chicken and brown rice. Like I said, read the labels of the products that you use and figure out what works for you.

--------------
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/19, 08:40 AM
Okay, I'm wrong. I'm sorry I said anything and I won't do it again.

--------------
Anni

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/19, 09:14 AM
Cristalbelle -
That recipe sounds reallt tasty and is better for you than some of the stuff you used to eat, right? I think you have to enjoy your food and find new ways to prepare healthy foods.
There really isn't anything wrong with buttermilk, the amount of flour is minimal and you can find low-sugar or no-sugar apricot preserves.
I made a similar recipe, but with shrimp -it was awesome! It tasted like the coconut shrimp you get at Outback, but was baked instead of fried and had healthier ingredients.

Good for you for trying new recipes and trying to change your way of eating.

I also like chicken breasts cut into strips and coated with shake and bake. My daughter loves them.

============
Quoting from CristalBelle:

Here's the one we are having for our Date Night on Friday.

Coconut Chicken

Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1in strips. Soak in a mixture of buttermilk and thyme overnight.

The next day, coat the chicken strips in a mixture of 1cup unsweetened coconut and 2 tbsp of flour until they are well coated. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. They should come out nice and golden brown and crispy.

Serve beside a dipping sauce made of 1/2 cup apricot preserves, 4tbsp dijon mustard, 2tsp horseradish, 2tbsp ff sour cream and a dash of hot pepper sauce.

Serve with spicey green beans (par boil and then sautee in 2tbsp olive oil with 2 crunshed cloves of garlic and hot pepper flakes) a salad, and if your diet permits a roll.

I am excited to try this. Overall, much more flavorful than what I would think of on my own, and much healthier than some of the other things I WOULD come up with on my own!
=============

--------------
Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare.
-- Japanese Proverb --

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/02/19, 10:28 AM
You might want to try marinating your chicken in plain 0 fat yogurt, with some added garlic (smashed).

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/02/19, 07:42 PM
I didn't mean for this post to turn into what it has, and for that I am sorry.

What my intent was for this post was to find the middle groud. For those of us here in this forum, we have been used to eating crap constantly. I was trying to provide recipes that are more health concious than what has been used before.

It is difficult to go from McDonald's, pizza, soda, chocolate, fried chicken, and other fat,salt,and calorie laden food, to a completely clean diet all in one fell swoop. I wanted to help with the transtion, because that's where I am at, and where I am sure others are too. I am sorry if it was wrong of me to suggest something that wasn't completely in keeping with the bodybuilders grocery list, and I will refrain from doing so from now on unless specifically asked to.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/02/19, 07:55 PM
Keep doing what you've been doing Cristal. The recipe is a wonderful step in the right direction and I was wrong to be critical.

--------------
Anni

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/02/19, 08:56 PM
I wasn't critiquing here, I was adding to the chicken.
Don't get upset.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
sourjujube
sourjujube
Canada
2005/02/20, 11:50 AM
I don't post much...more a lurker but I just had to say....THIS IS MY FAVOURITE WAY TO MAKE CHICKEN!!!...it is so moist and tasty...I also add some herbs and spices....curry and such if I'm looking for a more indian thing...Greek herbs for more of a souvlaki kinda dish...very versatile, very tasty!

============
Quoting from carivan:

You might want to try marinating your chicken in plain 0 fat yogurt, with some added garlic (smashed).

=============
2005/02/20, 01:29 PM
Wow, thanks for this post Veda-K. You're one of the most helpful, positive and a personal favorite poster on this board. This points out a serious failure to get out good information to our mwmbers.

Number one...most women CAN'T bulk up with proper diet and exercise. It just aint in the genes.

Number two, as somebody pointed out on the pro board, maybe the "Grocer list for body builders" should undergo a name change to "grocer list for healthy people".

If we take a look at whats on the list it is simply a list of unprocessed whole foods. Thats the holy grail of eating properly. If your foodcomes in a box or a bag ready to eat the chances are there is somthing in it that's counterproductive to good nutrition whether it's the type of fat, quantity of sugar or some chemical cocktail the manufacturer put in it to make it taste good.

The point is if you pick your foods from this list, eat the proper quantity as well as the proper protein/carb/fat proportions you will be eating healthy. If you sit on your butt all day, do no exercise and eat this type of food IN THE PROPER PROPORTIONS you won't stay or be overweight. If you add exercise you still eat the same foods, just more of it.

99.9% of women won't bulk up. Hell look at all the posts from young guys here who claim they can't gain weight. It's very hard for most guys to bulk up.

I hope you don't mind me picking on your post. I just found it disturbing that you've been here this long and missed some of these points. It's obvious that we who've been here a while haven't done too well at getting the word out. You're still Electra woman to me.

Folks, eat clean, lift reasonably heavy, count your calories as well as proportions, do some cardio and you'll get where you want to go.

Cristal, your recipe is a step in the right direction. Keep refining your eating habits and exercising and you'll get where you want to go. There is nothing wrong with food tasting good. Not everybody here is a hardcore body builder but if we eat properly and exercise we are all body builders in a sense. The results are the same, just depends on how far we want to take it.

The boating lifestyle I live is physically challanging. I couldn't afford to do it until later in life. I exercise hard because it's the best hedge that I can make to ensure I can live this way into my senior years. Everybody's got their reasons.

============
Quoting from vedakathryn:

I am going to print out the body builder list right now, I thought it was more geared toward individuals looking to bulk up, I do weights 3-5 times a week, but didn't consider myself anywhere near "body-builder" status yet, lol! That will help me quite a bit with my decisions, I'll bet, help take a lot of the guess work out of it! Thanks, Anni!

=============

--------------
Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!!!!!!

Charlie
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/20, 03:20 PM
To assume we "ladies" do not spend "serious" time reading the posts on other boards is not a fair comment. To clarify, I read posts from nearly ALL the boards and often times post back and I happily follow many of the suggestions, not just FT's in general, but from people, that have good nutritional views and helpful suggestions. I must say that I tend to focus on the boards that relate to my beginning stages of weight training and weight loss and also try to encourage newbies and enjoy the other forums from time to time. Also, I did make a terrible error and when I started working I let my healthy eating go, more of the starvation than the bad eating, but I did, but for the past three months I have been working to get this back on track and have been learning where I need to improve, but to say I don't KNOW this is incorrect, I know this, but I am still working at it, slow as it is going, I am improving each day. FT has been doing a great job, I think most of us are just guilty of not utilizing what we are learning daily, although the bodybuilder post did confuse me.

This forum is for all, but especially for individuals that are overweight/obese (specific SUPPORT forum) and we have tried to keep an encouraging tone here as many already have flattened ego's and are sensitive, some people cannot relate to that and mistake it for them feeling sorry for themselves, but they are just working toward feeling like people again after we have foolishly messed up our bodies. Individuals that have already attained their goals are very helpful to us but have to remember that you can scare members away if you cannot understand the terrible struggle that many have. Some may have made it to their goals and sometimes it is easy to forget the struggle, much like labor - you swear you'll never have a child again while going through it, but as soon as a couple weeks pass, you have forgotten and are ready to go at it again. Some only had a few pounds to lose and have no idea what it is like to have to lose in the triple digits. And, yes, it is wrong that anyone should ever have gotten themselves into that position in the first place that they have gained to that point, but it is up to everyone to encourage success not berate them. There is a fine line between looking down upon someone and saying you are being constructively critical, and people know it when one crosses it. NO, there should not be pats on the back for excuses but we cannot expect that each person will jump headfirst into a bucket of cold water but rather they will have to adjust to the difference of eating pounds of chocolate for lunch to a healthy piece of chicken. Each step, as little as it may seem, is a step in the right direction as long as you keep moving forward. Yes, we need to all be called to attention and it should be known that we cannot succeed unless we make these changes and implement them daily until we achieve success, I think that is something each of us is aware of, and yes, we need to stop dillydaddling around and get to it, I cannot agree more in my case.

---As far as your post, Charlie, I KNOW that women can't bulk up, I did not say "women" I just meant that I thought it would be more geared toward eating more of things right now I try not to include, protein bars, etc. so I hadn't looked, though I have other lists from FT and some of my own and I compared them after I printed it and it has basically the same items, which I have been eating, so yes, the topic did throw me off as I felt as I excelled in my weight training I would utilize more of the nutrition methods not fully realizing that they are basically one and the same. To me, looking at myself and then at Amy, for example, I would not think we would be eating the same foods exactly, that mine would be limited more due to my need to lose weight. I guess I am STILL learning.

I still have to work on portion control and weeding out some of my "addictions" and I know I can do better and I will. I have made some great improvements while here on FT and I know that I have more to go.

My word, how just a simple recipe could lead to so much. I guess some of you had things you wanted to say for awhile now and you have said them. I would be amazed if anyone came back to this forum for fear of being ostricized. It isn't nearly what you say, but HOW you are saying it. I thought it was a safe forum where we could dare to share our daily struggles and not be treated like we were lower than we already feel. I understand we need to all learn what we are doing wrong and some of us already know what we are doing wrong (ME!) and need to get with the program, but jeez, of late it seems some are coming here just to give us heck. I can get that at home...

Maybe I am way off, and for that I apologize, I wouldn't ever want to offend or hurt anyone here, but I'm not going to not respond either. I have learned a lot from FT and FT does a wonderful job getting information across and I am grateful for this site and the individuals that make it a safe, informative place for members to go.

=============
Quoting from Charlie:

Number one...most women CAN'T bulk up with proper diet and exercise. It just aint in the genes.

============
Quoting from anni313:

You ladies need to spend some serious time reading the posts on all the boards. Eating clean and proper nutrition are subjects which are discussed at length on a daily basis. The people who are successful at reaching their goals are the people who follow a clean diet. No, it isn't as exciting as chicken soaked in buttermilk, rolled in coconut and then shoved into apricot preserves, but it's very exciting to meet goals and not be overweight.

I realize that this may seem harsh and I feel that we have failed you all in some huge and meaningful way because you don't seem to know the basics of accomplishing weight loss through healthy eating.

It's all here on these board and it's free. Just because you aren't benching 300lbs does not mean that these things don't apply to you. I'm so sorry that we have not been communicating this effectively.

=============

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
2005/02/20, 03:59 PM
The protein bars are a good example of the kind of thing I'm refering to. When I joined FT I thought the protein requirements were ridiculosly high. I went on a protein bar quest thinking wow all that protein and still tastes good. I learned the hard way protein bars will pack the weight on. Most are full of sugar. I read a post by BB1 early on that they were good for a very occasional replacement meal. He mentioned a particular brand was very tasty and then qualified the statement that the ate it one night when there was no time for dinner.

There is nothing magic about this process. For the most part you should eat the same foods as BB1 or Amy. The portions will differ by each person's size and the intensity with which they exercise. For me the protein bars don't meet the lithmus test that I've found works for me. They are processed. Period. I still eat them but only when there is no alternative.

Thats just an example. Proper diet was probably easier 75 years ago before the likes of General Mills and Post started making food more convenient and decided it needed to be safe to eat for six months. I know I had to unlearn alot of things that had been drilled into my head.

My intention wasn't to be mean here. I hope people continue to post on these two boards. I'm sorry if I hurt yours or anyone elses feelings.

============
Quoting from vedakathryn

---As far as your post, Charlie, I KNOW that women can't bulk up, I did not say "women" I just meant that I thought it would be more geared toward eating more of things right now I try not to include, protein bars, etc. so I hadn't looked, though I have other lists from FT and some of my own and I compared them after I printed it and it has basically the same items, which I have been eating, so yes, the topic did throw me off as I felt as I excelled in my weight training I would utilize more of the nutrition methods not fully realizing that they are basically one and the same. To me, looking at myself and then at Amy, for example, I would not think we would be eating the same foods exactly, that mine would be limited more due to my need to lose weight. I guess I am STILL learning.

=============

--------------
Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!!!!!!

Charlie
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/02/20, 07:11 PM
I have to admit I have been overly critical of the members of this particular forum because I felt like alot of you guys were making excuses. Not ever being overweight myself I do not know what kind of a struggle it can be to lose weight. My thing is if you are giving it your best shot then good on you, but if you are on here making excuses for yourself what kind of benefit are you providing to the other member? I am not singling anyone out just generalizing. It is really confusing to come on this forum and read posts and try to give advice because alot of the times it seems like the advice that we give is not the answer that you guys want to hear. Veda after reading what you wrote I have a little bit of a better understanding of where you are coming from. I guess sometimes I have to put myself in the position of a person who really doesn't understand fitness and nutrition and try to educate as best that I can. It has also occured to me that trying to get across the message that diet and exercise are the key factors to achieving your goals can be difficult when television portrays it as simply taking a pill or doing 6 minutes a day of exercise. I am at the point now where I have no idea what message I am trying to get across, so I will end this post with these final words of wisdom:

"How did a post about a recipe turn into a script from One Life to Live?"

--------------
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/21, 10:38 AM
Another chapter, but I think this is actually a good thing, I hate to see anyone be misunderstood and I am happy to see you and Charlie post and can understand your points and I agree wholeheartedly with you, Hec, and I can absolutely see where you would think that some of us use "excuses", and some times I know I have been guilty of that, but I also know that I have made some great strides from where I was to where I am now due to you, Charlie, Amy, and many others here on FT that are so knowledgeable and I am very, very grateful for that. I believe this is a different type of forum, specifially a "support" forum that is and should be a bit different from the others as the needs are different and sometimes to be able to share what you are going through doesn't mean you are making excuses, it means you are hoping to connect with someone that has gone through the same things and learn from them - and - sometimes it does mean we are making excuses, it is hard to know the difference sometimes.

I am not void of nutritional knowledge, but I am having to relearn things that I have ignored for too long as I am sure many are and there will be some that do not know as they have never had the opportunity.

I, personally, will not be told I am making excuses because I work out diligently, I am working on my diet and I know I need to kick it into a higher gear and that is what my posts of late have said. Now, I did take a horrendous fall, I may have to have surgery on my arm due to the fall, but I got right back on the weights within a few days of rest and did the treadmill prior and I am darn proud of myself as the "old" me would of used that as a reason to stop for months, lol!! So, see, my accomplishments may seem small to you, as others accomplishments may, but as I said, as long as we are moving forward that is good, right, well, as long as it doesn't waste precious moments of life that we have to make changes, which is something I am guilty of, I have no reason to not pick up the pace and I have come to terms with that and am making some changes immediately. I must agree, 7 months at FT and I should be further than I am, and I am ready now to make that next step toward an enhanced committment as I hope others will be.

Hopefully, you all that are so knowledgeable and strong in your efforts will not waiver in your faith of those that have this long road ahead because it is people like you all that give us hope. I can understand your frustrations and thank you so much for giving us your view, too, you guys are all very important to us and our successes and I truly hope you never forget that! :love:

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
jm3115
jm3115
United States
2005/02/24, 07:16 AM
WOW! y'all are deep! :) Just wanted to share, I get a lot of recipe ideas from watching the food channel. Then, I take a healthier spin on things if need be (EVOO instead of butter, etc.) The great thing about watching "the Nake Chef" or "iron kitchen" is that they use all natural foods - so it makes it easy to see something that looks good with a few cool spices and bake it up yourself! CristalBelle - your recipe sounded great! I'm going to have to try a rendition of it. As long as you eat health-wise, in resonable portions, and exercise respectivly - you're doing right.

PS - for those of you who offered yogurt as a marinade replacement -- it is awesome! Use a lowfat yogurt - mix with herbs of choice (I like lots of garlic, some pepper, and oregano) Put on chicken and grill, broil, or bake! mmmmm mmmmm
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/24, 09:21 AM
Thanks, jm3115 for the confirmation on the yogurt, I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking forward to using it on some chicken!

I LOVE the naked chef and iron kitchen!! It makes you want to eat healthy just watching them! :)

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Brittbyrd
Brittbyrd
United States
2009/03/12, 12:47 AM
Ok, so i'm going to cheat here a little bit. I really want to read this information but unfortunately I do not have time at the moment. But I need help asap!! I am 5'4" 135 lbs. I have gained 10 lbs since December. I have a boyfriend who can eat ANYTHING and stay skinny (even has good cholesterol, blood pressure, and etc.) I do the cooking as often as possible but he mostly eats out and on the weekends we eat out for about 4 meals. I have gotten to the point where I cannot fit in my jeans and I have become VERY self conscious! I feel like the big woman next to the skinny guy! I REALLY need advice about 1) cooking meals to help me lose weight, but are also something he will eat 2) what is healthy food? Just lean meats, veggies, yogurt, fruit, and...?? 3) I need to know some snacks that I can take. I'm a student and drive 2 hrs to school everyday and back home so I need on the go tips 4) exercises for flattening the tummy, preventing cellulite, and toning (I already know about cardio). There are weight issues in my family concerning anorexia. and so trying to be preventative because I have been known to skip meals. My main thing is feeling good in my own skin. If I lose 10 lbs and got back to where I was, I would be extatic. But I need help on a plan for exercising and eating. PLEASE HELP!