Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

making a fresh start on my diet

neiljeannie
neiljeannie
United States
2008/03/11, 10:43 AM
After the death of my 15 yr old daughter my weight balooned to over 200 lbs. that was 10 years ago, and after trying several different and having 2 partial knee replacements I need to find a new way to approach this.
My knees are sitll numb from the surgeries so being down on the floor is not an option also my back has 2 herniations I need some good advice, PLEASE!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/12, 08:24 AM
Hi Nieljeannie,

Sorry to hear about your daughter.That is very sad.

Start by cutting out processed foods and junk foods.

Focus on fresh fruits and vegetables, lean sources of protein like chicken, fish, turkey and whole grains.

To figure out an approximate calorie amount multiply your weight in lbs by 10. After a few weeks you can adjust it if you aren't losing weight.

Try to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, instead of 3 big ones. And be sure every meal includes protein.

Never skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast can slow your metabolism by 15%.

Drink plenty of water and low or no-calorie beverages. Green tea is especially good for you and may even boost your fat burning.

Getting enough sleep os emerging as an important factor in weight loss as well.

Start a walking program, you can start slowly and work up to more vogoruos walking/ more distance.

Weight training, with good form, will help you rebuild strength in your legs and back and boost your metabolism, build your physique and strengthen your bones. With the issues you face I would recommend finding a trainer who has experience with knee replacements and back injury. Ask around, check ACE's website (they have a trainer look-up by area) and be sure to ask the trainer about their certification and experience with injuries. But hiring a trainer will be the best way to safely learn how to lift weightas and lifting weights will be the most effective way to really reshape your body.

Good luck - stick around here and read all you can and ask specific questions and I am sure you will find people very willing to help you achieve your goals :)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

neiljeannie
neiljeannie
United States
2008/03/13, 11:32 AM
Thank you asimmer, I will work hard at taking your advice. I live in a very small rural town and walking is the exercise of choice of mine and it seems various people
in my community. So I am not alone in my endeavor.
You had alot of advice and I am happy that it will be here for me to fall back on if I forget anything. Thanks again. The green tea I have heard of before, but from my 16 yr old grandson I wasn't sure if he was right or not, glad to know, (He may be a DR yet!) Thank you, Jeannie