Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Lost but determined!

aroadhunter
aroadhunter
United States
2006/01/21, 07:17 AM
I'm a new guy here. I had literally given up for a couple of years. But this is war now and I am pretty firm in this effort to change things. A couple of weeks ago I weighed 385 freakin pounds...yikes!! I got a blood sugar screening kit, and a blood pressure monitor, a doctor's scale and went on Atkins. In the last couple of weeks I have lost 45 pounds and am definitely making progress. I would hope to be under 200 in six months or so. Does anyone think that not possible or advisable?

--------------
\\"Lord, Thanks for just one more day to make it up to You\\"
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/21, 08:03 AM
You are losing weight awfully fast. This can be the case when you are very overweight, and you have the advantage of testosterone as a male. Eventually this will slow down, and that is okay. Just don't let yourself get down when the weight loss slows down.

Atkin's can be alright, if done correctly - avoid the really fatty saturated meats and eat plenty of fibrous vegetables.

Are you walking or something for fitness? If not, this is a great time to start a walking program. It will help you reach your goals and lift your mood when needed.

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/01/22, 10:27 PM
congrats on the 45!

I think to make under 300 in 6 months is a much safer goal and still agressive in my opinion.

The weight did not come on in 6 months i would not expect it to come off that fast. That being said you are moving in the right direction and thats the name of the game. Just dont get discouraged. Keep it moving! Losing that much weight is more a marrathon then a sprinting contest. Set your diet, exercise, and lifestyle in the right direction and set your pace appropriately.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/01/23, 05:42 AM
I agree on both counts.

Losing that much weight is an obtainable goal but you need to do it in a healthy manner. I know...easier said than done right...but it's the only really safe way to get there.

Get your daily diet in check and introduce some exercise into the mix. Do as asimmer mentioned, start a walking routine, then later on bump it up to the next level.

Main thing to do now is get your diet right. You can do a search here and get gobs of information on diet that will allow you to reach your goal in a healthy manner.

Setting a goal for yourself is a good thing, But it has to be a realistic one...I mean come on...what's the differance if it takes 12 months instead, or you planning on quitting at 6 months, of course not. So be smart and do it the healthy way.

Good luck!

--------------
Seize the day!
aroadhunter
aroadhunter
United States
2006/01/23, 02:46 PM
Thanks folks for the advice. I probably will pace myself more, and be careful about getting discouraged. I brought in a weight bench and purchased a bicycle too...a heavy fat-tire cruiser. I'm trying to keep my carbs down to around 20 with some broccoli. I have a friend that went on Atkins and his wife "helped" him by cutting out carbs to zero. He fell out and is now a diabetic. I've also been trying to get a handle on Ketosis. About all I know is the Ketone test strips are not very accurate. Oh well; press on!

--------------
\"Lord, Thanks for just one more day to make it up to You\"
mikedaggy
mikedaggy
United States
2006/01/23, 09:36 PM
IM NEW THIS SIGHT AS WELL. I HAVE BEEN ON ATKINS BEFORE.
BE CAREFUL IF YOU DONT PLAN ON CUTTING OUT CARBS FOR GOOD
THE WEIGHT COMES BACK TWICE AS FAST. I FOUND THAT JUST EATING BETTER ie FRUITS, SALADS AND JUST NOT MUNCHING BETWEEN MEALS SEEMS TO WORK BETTER FOR ME GOOD LUCK