Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Lost 34 lbs accidently...now what?

dcedar
dcedar
United States
2007/10/14, 01:21 AM
OK, quick summery of my past. I have always been 'a little' overweight. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 11. I am 33 now. I have taken Synthroid for my thyroid off and on since I was 11. I never thought it really made a difference until I went off it too long and then I would start taking it again. Between the ages of 11 and 30 I went from a size 7 to a size 18. And some 18's were a little snug. I went from 'a little' overweight to 'fat'. I truly did not care that it was happening because it happened so slow it wasn't really noticed until I thought it was too late.

A little over a year ago I went to the doctors. They weighed me and charted it. I paid no attention because I did not care. I then got a job at a retail store that worked my butt off. Almost literally:) Then, a few months ago the dress code changed so I had to buy new clothes. I went to the store and tried my usual size 18's and they were too big. Ha, I thought I lost a few pounds. I went down to a 14. Woohoo! Once I was wearing the smaller clothes I started hearing the comments about my weight loss. Talk about excited. Then I went to a size 12 and they fit!

Then I got sick. I went to the doctors with a double ear infection. They weighed me again. Again I did not look. When the doctor came in she asked me usual questions. She then said "I see you have lost 34lbs since last year." What? Are you serious?

I started to think about it. Most of my life I hardly ate anything. I always blamed my weight on my thyroid because i did not eat all that much.

How did I lose the weight? I certainly wasn't dieting. In that year, I started drinking 1-2 cups of coffee daily when I never drank it before. I ate a doughnut at least 3 mornings a week. The other days of the week I ate a bagel or cookie. I was eating more than ever. I would eat lunch and dinner everday and even snack on candy bars or icecream at night. I did start drinking more water than ever and cut out soda almost completely.

Although I have always worked, I just never worked so physically.

Now my problem! I quit that job. My new job is a great deal less physical. I find myself wanting to snack all the time on junk food. I am still not drinking soda but I do not even want water as much. I feel myself getting lazy.

I have a treadmill, abciser, and a bike. I started my treadmill this week. I am doing 30 minutes, 3 mph, every other day. I haven't used the others yet.

How do I continue to lose weight? I do not want to gain any of it back.

Any explanations or advice?
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/10/15, 12:37 PM
All I can say is exercise and eat right, our bodies change and being on something like synthroid (I have no thyroid and been on for 17 years now), things can go up and down fast --or slow, it is one of the most unpredictable things due to it being a controlled amount vs. our bodies regulating the amounts. I would take the opportunity now that you have lost the weight to create a healthy lifestyle of eating right and working out!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill