Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Living with ANXIETY..share your thoughts

MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/15, 12:03 AM
I was hoping that those of us with anxiety could share our fears, experience and knowledge here. Since anxiety can keep you from doing just about anything, including getting in shape, I thought this might be a great way to give support and help each other.

My anxiety started in my early twenties, which is the average age for people to have the first symptoms of this disorder. At first I was afraid and didn’t understand what was happening to me. It took about 2 years of suffering until it had gotten bad enough and I was ready to go see a Doctor about it. The first thing my Dr. wanted to do is put me on Meds. I really hate the thought of depending on pills for anything! I reluctantly agreed to give it a try.

Over the course of about 2 years I tried 3 different types of meds (Prozac, Zoloft and Celexa) Each and everyone made me feel so much worse and on the last try of Celexa I had my first true Panic Attack. When I called the Dr. after that terrifying experience and he told me to take more pills (Xanax) I finally woke up and realized what I had to do.

I stopped all meds and bought lots of different books about this disorder. I started to educate myself and also went to see a therapist for reassurance. KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY! Just knowing what exactly was happening in my body gave me hope and made me feel much better. There were so many things that I could do now to get better.

Learn Relaxation techniques; start exercising; improve nutrition; work on overcoming negative self-talk; learning what triggers it and how to avoid it; change mistaken beliefs; learn to use visualization and breathing techniques; practice assertiveness; improve self-esteem; keep a journal…. It’s not as easy as finding and taking the right pill, but it does work and if you keep practicing these things you’ll be able to live with this disorder. As long as you accept the fact that the anxiety will always be a part of your life, but you CAN control it.

My anxiety hasn’t been a problem for years now, but every once in a while it shows it’s ugly head. This is one of those times and the reason why I’m writing this. It’s very therapeutic to get things out in the open. To everyone who’s effected or knows of someone with this disorder, please share your stories, encouragement, knowledge or help.:)

--------------
"One Ring to rule them all; One Ring to find them; One Ring to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them." -LOTR Trilogy
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/04/15, 07:25 AM
Hi
I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder/panic disorder about 6 years ago,even though I knew I had it much earlier,probably as a child. Back then I tried the exercise and diet,the natural remedies,meditation etc,but I was having 4-5 panic attacks a day.

That sent me into a depression,which isnt unusual and I tried to battle it on my own for over 2 years...But I had had enough and a decided after much research and soul searching that it was time for medication

I did talk therapy for a year along with Celexa and it helped me alot...I am still taking celexa...we found out(drs and I) that my anxiety and depression is most likly a chemical imbalance in my brain and hereditary....

I realize that the medication is not a cure,but being very close to taking my own life,it became my lifesaver....I will always be on medication,and to me thats OK because my quality of life has improved so very much.

Its such a personal decision whether or not to take medication,I do realize that medication and talk therapy go hand in hand...We must talk about depression,anxiety,and realize they are mental illness's,but that there is NO shame in asking for help.

mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/04/15, 07:34 AM
PS...what are your two dogs names? I have a 20 month old golden retriever named Hannah
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/15, 02:22 PM
Thank you so much for opening up and sharing your personal experience. I very much agree that talking about this is so important and I know a lot of people are ashamed to let anyone know about it. Millions of people have this disorder (I prefer to call it that rather than mental illness) there is absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of! I'm glad to hear that in your case the medication worked. You're right it is and should be your own personal decision. :)

PS: My babies (puppies) names are Silvie (12 year old Golden Retriever girl) and Louie (5 year old Flatcoat Retriever/German Shepherd mix boy):love:

--------------
"One Ring to rule them all; One Ring to find them; One Ring to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them." -LOTR Trilogy
Emmylou1981
Emmylou1981
United Kingdom
2006/04/15, 02:32 PM
I too have suffered with extreme anxiety for 6years i have been on loads of different pills (lustral,citalopram,prozac,trazadone,and lastly what im on now mirtazapine.I dont think their is anything wrong with taking meds aslong as thats whats right for you.I am trying to overcome this illness.Any1 feel free to inbox me about it i know alot about it.It can ruin your whole life but there is hope x
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/15, 08:37 PM
Thank you for sharing your story Emmylou1981! I'm sorry you had to try so many different medications. Does the one you're on now help you? Are you doing any other things to overcome the disorder?

--------------
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/04/15, 08:43 PM
I would just like to caution that though for some this can be controlled with out Meds YOU SHOULD NEVER START TAKING THEM THEN QUIT COLD TURKEY! Please be safe if you do not like you meds and or doctor go get another opinion. I do not want to come off as bashing anything Manny said, in fact I applaud her for making the effor tto find what worked for her. I am happy you did find a way to deal with it! CONGRATS!

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/15, 09:56 PM
Thanks mutt. I hope I didn't give people the impression that I want them to get off their meds. I would NEVER ask anyone to do that. You are very correct when you say NEVER QUIT THESE DRUGS COLD TURKEY! I just wanted to share my experience and let people know that they have options:)Very often people with this disorder get put on meds right away by their Family Doctors without being educated about other alternative. I also realize that in some cases medication is a must and I'm glad that it does work/help those people. It just wasn't for me. Thanks again for your advice mutt:)

--------------
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/15, 10:06 PM
I just read my first post again. Just so there is no misunderstanding: When I stopped all meds I did so under the supervision of my Doctor. I'm sorry I left this important part out of my first post:surprised:

--------------
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/04/15, 10:27 PM
Manny - this is one of those topics that a lot of us, including me, aren't really up on so thanks for bringing it up.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/04/16, 01:48 AM
Yep, this is a subject that gets very little airtime. Mainly because unless someone comes out and does what Manny has, people usually don't want to talk about it. Which just makes someone dealing with it feel more alienated. This could turn out to be a really good thread if more people share their conditions. Make it known, were among friends, make it reality that it doesn't change things. I applaud you for starting this thread Manny. I have had times in my life where things didn't make sense. Some people here know it. Thing is, I came to these good people for advice and support and was given it unconditionally. I'm still working out what issues I had, but with the help I got here when I needed it most, has helped me put things in perspective. I hope more will come forward and be open with issues, that they usually keep bottled up. It can be a very healthy outlet, and like Mike mentioned, a learning experience.

--------------
She sits and wonders why.....no more.
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/16, 03:49 AM
Thank you guys, I'm really glad you feel that way. Mojo, I feel the same way about the people here on this site, they have already made a big difference in my life:), that's the reason why I felt comfortable enough to share this with everyone.

--------------
bicep
bicep
Canada
2006/04/16, 02:25 PM
Great topic, congratz on your progress...

my finace, has something like that but as not severe
I want to introduce her to exercising and better nutrition plan but she`s a bit stubborn :angry: ..I let her read your post ...

I might have something similar too, as i get panicky feeling during exam times, normally i`m very relaxed but during exams I`m like a ticking bomb...
Just last week I finished two exams very relaxed, the reason why I was better this time is due to exercising and better nutrition.

again doing a great job keep it up
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/16, 10:51 PM
Thanks for your post bicep. I hope these posts will help your Fiance' and don't be afraid to ask questions. Exercise is such a great release for stress which is one of the main triggers for anxiety and panic attacks. I believe everybody needs to find the right exercise for them in order to stick with it and make it work. Maybe with the help of this website and the great people on it she can find something that she would like to try.

--------------
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/17, 12:49 PM
WHAT IS ANXIETY?

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

The essential characteristic of Generalized Anxiety Disorder is excessive uncontrollable worry about everyday things. This constant worry affects daily functioning and can cause physical symptoms. GAD can occur with other anxiety disorders, depressive disorders, or substance abuse. GAD is often difficult to diagnose because it lacks some of the dramatic symptoms, such as unprovoked Panic Attacks, that are seen with other anxiety disorders; for a diagnosis to be made, worry must be present more days than not for at least 6 months.

The focus of GAD worry can shift, usually focusing on issues like job, finances, health of both self and family; but it can also include more mundane issues such as, chores, car repairs and being late for appointments. The intensity, duration and frequency of the worry are disproportionate to the issue and interferes with the sufferer's performance of tasks and ability to concentrate. Physical symptoms include:
* Muscle tension;
* Sweating;
* Nausea;
* Cold, clammy hands;
* Difficulty swallowing;
* Jumpiness;
* Gastrointestinal discomfort or diarrhea;

Sufferers tend to be irritable and complain about feeling on edge, are easily tired and have trouble sleeping.

...an articel by the (ADAA) Anxiety Disorders Association of America

--------------
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/17, 01:03 PM
*STRESS BUSTERS*

Whether you have normal anxiety or an anxiety disorder, these strategies will help you cope:

> Exercise. Physical activity helps your body and mind. Go to the gym. Take a jog. Go for a walk. Do yoga. Play Frisbee. Just get moving!

> Eat a balanced diet. Don't skip meals. Try to eat from all of the food groups, and try to stay away from caffeine (minimize soda or coffee). Caffeine can trigger anxiety and panic attacks.

> Limit alcohol and stay away from illegal drugs. Alcohol and drugs aggravate anxiety and can also cause panic attacks.

> Get involved. Being active in the community creates a support network and gives you a break from your everyday stress.

> Do your BEST instead of trying to be PERFECT. We all know perfection isn't possible, so be proud of however close you get.

> Take a time out. Take a deep breath and count to 10. Stepping back from the problem lets you clear your head. Do yoga. Meditate. Get a massage. Learn relaxation techniques. Listen to music.

> Put things in perspective. Think about your situation. Ask yourself whether it's really as bad as you think it is or if you could be blowing it out of proportion.

> Talk to someone. **Don't let things bottle up to the verge of explosion.** Reach out to your roommate, boyfriend, girlfriend, counselor,.... if you're feeling low.

>Find out what triggers your anxiety. Take notes or write in a journal when you're feeling anxious or stressed, and then look for patterns.

:)

--------------
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/04/18, 07:08 AM
I had a small anxiety attack this morning,in fact not 10 mins ago...I knew it was coming,the medication iam on is a low dose,so it allows me to feel some anxiety..so that I can learn to deal with it

I just tell myself "bring it ON" and breathe through it..I know why I had it,I havent been taking care of myself lately..eating poorly,not getting enough sleep,and probably pushing myself to get things done..

Its my cue to slow down,take life one day at a time and get back on track

Iam grateful to my anxiety,because I have learned so much about myself,what I need and want and whats best for me.It takes alot of soul searching to try and control the anxiety or panic...in order to get through an attack you HAVE to slow down....

What I use to think was important no longer is,,I have put aside alot of my ideas of what perfection is,and I realize that perfection doesnt exsist..so I strive now to be the best I can be...

MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/18, 12:27 PM
That's great, I'm really glad to hear that you've made such excellent progress. I think the hard part is to except that once you have anxiety it will always be a part of your life. The important thing is to understand that it is in YOUR power to control it and not let it control you.:)

--------------
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/04/18, 01:24 PM
I'm glad you've learned the signs mystic, and even more important, how to deal with them. Good for you. Keep it up.

--------------
She sits and wonders why.....no more.
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/19, 05:24 PM
HOW YOU CAN HELP A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND!

Sufferers of anxiety disorders and their families may spend months, even years, without knowing what is wrong. It can be frustrating and can put a strain on relationships; this strain is not necessarily alleviated once there is a diagnosis. Recovery can be a long process.

Family members often want to help the sufferer, but do not know how. An important fact to keep in mind is that anxiety disorders are real, serious, but treatable medical conditions. HAVING ONE IS *NOT* A SIGN OF WEAKNESS OR LACK OF MORAL FIBER! There is reliable evidence linking Panic Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and other anxiety disorders to brain chemistry, and even life events can trigger the onset of an anxiety disorder in a person who is genetically predisposed.

Like any other illness, anxiety disorders can take a toll on the family and friends of the sufferer. Household routines are disrupted, sometimes special plans or allowances need to be made, and the person with the disorder may be reluctant to participate in typical social activities. These factors can have a negative impact on family dynamics. Family members should learn as much as they can about the disorder, which will help them know what to expect from the illness and from the recovery process. Family member should also learn also when to be patient with the sufferer and when to push.

Family support is important to the recovery process, but there is no magic cure. Getting better takes hard work, mostly on the part of the sufferer, and patience, mostly on the part of the family. Some things family members can do to help a loved one diagnosed with an anxiety disorder are:

•Learn about the disorder.
•Recognize and praise small accomplishments.
•Modify expectations during stressful periods.
•Measure progress on the basis of individual improvement, not against some absolute standard.
•Be flexible and try to maintain a normal routine.

It is also important for family members to keep in mind that the recovery process is stressful for them too. They should build a support network of relatives and friends for themselves. Remember that with proper treatment by a mental health professional anxiety disorders *CAN* be overcome.:)

(...an articel by the (ADAA) Anxiety Disorders Association of America )

--------------
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/24, 12:45 PM
YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS!!!:)

Anxiety disorders are real, serious and treatable conditions that…

•more than 40 million American men and women are diagnosed with annually.

•almost seven percent of college students report having symptoms.

•can occur at any age but often will surface during a person's teens or twenties.

•are twice as likely to occur in women as men.

In fact, 30 percent of women will have some type of anxiety disorder during their lifetime.

--------------
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/27, 02:51 PM
GUIDE TO TREATMENT!

Experts believe that anxiety disorders are caused by a combination of biological and environmental factors, much like other disorders, such as heart disease and diabetes.

The vast majority of people with an anxiety disorder can be helped with professional care. Success of treatment varies with the individual. Some people may respond to treatment after a few months, while others may take a year or more. Treatment is sometimes complicated by the fact that people very often have more than one anxiety disorder, or suffer from depression or substance abuse. This is why treatment must be tailored to the individual.

Although treatment is individualized, there are several standard approaches that have proven to be effective. Therapists will use one, or a combination of these therapies.

TREATMENT OPTIONS:

•Behavior Therapy
The goal of Behavior Therapy is to modify and gain control over unwanted behavior. The individual learns to cope with difficult situations, often through controlled exposure to them. This kind of therapy gives the individual a sense of having control over their life.

•Cognitive Therapy
The goal of Cognitive Therapy is to change unproductive or harmful thought patterns. The individual examines his feelings and learns to separate realistic from unrealistic thoughts. As with Behavior Therapy, the individual is actively involved in his own recovery and has a sense of control.

•Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT)
Many therapists use a combination of Cognitive and Behavior Therapies, this is often referred to as CBT. One of the benefits of these types therapies is that the patient learns recovery skills that are useful for a lifetime.

•Relaxation Techniques
Relaxation Techniques help individuals develop the ability to more effectively cope with the stresses that contribute to anxiety, as well as with some of the physical symptoms of anxiety. The techniques taught include breathing re-training and exercise.

•Medication
Medication can be very useful in the treatment of anxiety disorders, and it is often used in conjunction with one or more of the therapies mentioned above. Sometimes anti-depressants or anxiolytics (anti-anxiety medications) are used to alleviate severe symptoms so that other forms of therapy can go forward. Medication is effective for many people and can be either a short-term or long-term treatment option, depending on the individual.

--------------
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2006/04/29, 06:35 PM
hey, I to suffer from anxiety. People with anxiety always will have the disorder, however its how you manage yourself and work towards dealing with it that is key. I have learned to manage my anxiety by cognitive restructuring, meditation and exercise. I know that I will always have anxiety, but i have learned not to let it take over my life.

My anxiety acutally inspired my career goals. I am now trying to finsih up my education and become a psychologist.

I am glad that people are willing to talk about their anxiety issues, there is no reason why anxiety should burden peoples lives, there are ways to deal with it! Nobody should feel ashamed to get help for these issues.
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/04/30, 03:10 AM
That is awesome:) Thank you for sharing your story. I think it's wonderful that you want to become a psychologist, I'm sure the fact that you've experienced and learned how to live with anxiety will help you a lot when you'll talk to your patients with the same disorder. People are more willing to open up if you've been in the same situation. I hope more people will come forward and share their story, it's like you said "There is no reason why anxiety should burden peoples lives, there are ways to deal with it! Nobody should feel ashamed to get help for these issues." And talking about it is the first step:)

--------------
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/05/03, 04:44 PM
What are the Differences Between Panic Disorder and
Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia)?

This is probably the most misunderstood subject in the area of the anxiety disorders. Most clinicians and therapists have not been adequately trained to understand or diagnose anxiety disorders in general -- and the clear-cut distinction between these two anxiety disorders is almost never understood.

Even normally reliable and scientific sources fail to make the correct distinctions in this area.

(As an additional note: Many people with any type of anxiety disorder are typically misdiagnosed as being "depressed''. This occurs because anyone with an anxiety disorder, including panic and social anxiety, is naturally "depressed" over their anxiety and the significant impairment it causes in their daily lives. Technically, it is more accurate to diagnose people with anxiety disorders as "dysthymic". The main point, however, is that it is the anxiety that causes the depression (dysthymia) and not the other way around. Once the anxiety shrinks and is overcome, the depression goes away with it.)

-- Thomas A. Richards, Ph.D., Psychologist

--------------
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/05/03, 04:55 PM
Here are the DIFFERENCES:

People with panic disorder experience a horrible anxiety attack accompanied by many physical symptoms that are originally interpreted as a physical, medical problem. Socially-anxious people experience horrible anxiety in social situations that lead them to stay away from other people because of the anxiety it causes. They see anxiety as a "fear" and do not believe it is caused by a physical, medical condition. 

Panic and agoraphobic people are many times very social. In fact, the majority of panic people enjoy the company of talking and being with other people. This is nowhere more apparent than in a therapy group  with other people who have panic and/or agoraphobia. The room is alive, active, open, friendly, and sometimes even noisy.

Contrast this picture with the life of socially-anxious people. Even though they are lonely and would like to be with other people and enjoy their company, the heightened anxiety this would cause overpowers the loneliness. Thus, the socially-anxious person stays alone. In a therapy group meeting of socially-anxious people, the room is fairly subdued, particularly during the first few sessions. Individuals are afraid of talking, drawing attention to themselves, and risking anticipated embarrassment.

Contrary to popular conception, people with social anxiety disorder do not develop agoraphobia. Agoraphobia results from the fear of panic attacks, not from the fear of social interactions. Likewise, people with panic disorder do not develop avoidant personality disorder. Avoidant personality disorder results from social anxiety as people continue to cut themselves off from most of the world because of the fear of social interactions and other people, not from the fear and dread of having a panic attack.

(Note: We, as a therapeutic and research community, are light years behind where we should be concerning the anxiety disorders. It is still prevalent within our own professional communities to dismiss the anxiety disorders as unimportant and not be able to make the clear-cut clinical distinctions that are apparent to those who specialize in this area.)

Also, contrary to current psychiatric/psychological nomenclature, people with social anxiety do not have "panic attacks". They experience extreme anxiety in social settings where they fear they will have to perform or be on display. It is not uncommon for socially-anxious people to use the terminology "I panicked". Again, however, the distinction here is that the person is not talking about the sensations leading to a physical pain or condition. They are referring to a very high level of anxiety and the adrenaline rush that accompanies it. 

It is possible for a person to have concurrent symptoms from both of these anxiety disorders, although one or the other will usually be more prevalent.  For example, a person with panic may also be socially-anxious concerning several different life situations, such as fear of public speaking and fear of being assertive. It is also possible for a person with one of the anxiety disorders to develop another disorder at a different period during the lifespan. People may also simultaneously suffer from several of the other anxiety problems, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress, and/or generalized anxiety disorder.

It appears from the latest epidemiological data that social anxiety disorder is the most common of the anxiety disorders.

Lending credence to this data is that many socially-anxious people find it extremely difficult to seek help – going to therapy is a social event where the person is dealing with an authority figure on a 1:1 basis. Just the thought of this can create high levels of anxiety, and hold the person back from seeking help (even though they want it desperately).

Panic disorder with and without agoraphobia seems to be the second most common anxiety disorder.

The anxiety disorders as a whole continue to be the disorders that plague and afflict the largest number of people on the planet.....

The anxiety disorders as a whole continue to be the area in which the LEAST amount of research and clinical experience is available.....

The general public continues to hear more about the obscure psychological disorders that seem bizarre and strange, thus commanding a greater deal of media attention.....

And because of this mis-focus, people with anxiety disorders continue to be the losers.....

Please remember...each and every anxiety disorder is both treatable and can be conquered. No one needs to live their life with an ongoing anxiety disorder. Help IS available, but please seek out help carefully from professionals who have experience in treating anxiety disorders.

At present, the best help seems to exist in anxiety clinics whose practice focuses solely on these disorders. Ask questions of anyone you may potentially visit. Make sure they fully understand the problem that you want help to overcome. Don't let anyone tell you that panic, agoraphobia, social anxiety, or avoidant personality disorder cannot be overcome.

There are many of us who have suffered through the pain of an anxiety disorder first hand, and can vouch for the fact that it is possible that you can overcome anxiety, too. An experienced and knowledgeable therapist and a motivated client is all that is needed to gently move ahead and conquer the worst of your fears.

-- Thomas A. Richards, Ph.D., Psychologist

--------------
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2006/05/05, 04:36 PM
Hi Mannie:

I had anxiety for about two years and there is a wonderful website: www.stresscenter.com and a great program you can buy. It is all about the way you talk to yourself that causes anxiety. I went through the program which is aout 15 tapes which you listen to and it was wonderful. I do not get panic attacks on a daily basis anymore and I am enjoying life. By the way, I bought the program on ebay, it was much cheaper. Please email anytime to talk.
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/05/08, 02:06 PM
Thank you lucyladybug, that website tip is great. I'm happy to hear you've found something that helped you make great progress.:big_smile:

--------------
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2006/05/08, 03:33 PM
You are welcome MannyMaster. Honestly, if you ever need to talk, please email me. I am starting to get anxiety this week because my husband is going away and I have a hard time when he does because I cannot sleep with in turn gives me anxious feelings and symptoms.
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/05/08, 04:19 PM
The same goes for you and anybody else who would prefer to talk privatly about anxiety, just send me a message here on FT. .....lucyladybug, remember to be positive and replace those negative thoughts with positive once. Concentrate on thinking that when your husband is gone, you'll have a great time and you're gonna make him proud by being strong. :)

--------------
CODIACRCMP
CODIACRCMP
Canada
2006/06/06, 11:41 AM
This is my first post here but I have been on FT for months.

I have had anxiety for about 6 months now but it is caused by PTSD. I was a private investigator and while trying to arrest someone their friend hit me with a truck. I didn't break anything and was only sore for a few days and off back to work I went.

The first day back I was so happy to be working. We where going to be doing a theft arrest and thats when it happend. I started to sweat, started to feel scared and neverous and thought someone was after me. I then had a flashback of the accident, the only thing it was like I was watching myself being hit by the truck.

I have been off work since Dec 27, 2005 and will not be going back to the same job. I feel like someone somewhere is going to hurt me, I'm neverous about being in any store, noises scare me, nitemares, anger and depression.

I was started on medication in Januray (Clanzapam and Prozac) but didn't find it helped so I quit it in March. At about the end of March I ended up being burned out from only sleeping 2-3 hours a night for 3 months. I ended up cutting my arm and my parents brought me to the hospital. They kept me there for 1 week and gave me adivan and seriqul. The first night there I slept for 27 without waking up.

When I got back home the no sleep caught up to me again and then it was back to cutting myself. I was brought back to the hospital but they sent me home. I haven't cut my arms since April, and have recently join a new gym. They open at 5:30am so it helps my anxiety because I know the people that would hurt me are not at the gym this early.

If anyone wants to talk about PTSD, Depression, Anxity ect... just PM me.
cpoguejr
cpoguejr
United States
2006/06/06, 11:52 AM
Wow. I just signed up for a workout program and I come across these postings for stress and anxiety. Call it a coincidence, but I just bought this package from the Midwest Center for stress and anxiety (www.stresscenter.com).

Im not one to go for all these fanatical claims of how we can live stress and anxiety free, but when I got the tapes and listened to how people were talking about what I thought only I was going through it brought literal tears to my eyes. If any of you are willing to take a chance and see what Im talking about, check out the website.

We don't have to suffer with anxiety...
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2006/06/06, 11:59 AM
Hi cpoguejr:

I went through the program and it is great. It is all about the way we talk to ourselves. Good luck!
cpoguejr
cpoguejr
United States
2006/06/06, 01:30 PM
Hey lucy... thanks. I didn't see your post about The midwest center at first. I guess I'm just further confirmation that it really is a helpfull program.

I should've looked on ebay for it....didn't even think about that...
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2007/04/01, 04:47 PM
Hi manny: Just checking in and seeing how you are doing with anxiety.
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/04/01, 06:14 PM
I hadn't seen this thread, but due to it's appearance I thought I'd share my experience.

At school I was the target of some ridicule because I tend to gain weight on my chest and I'm a blusher. I spent some years trying desperately to avoid situations where my chest would be visible, wearing baggy clothes etc.

I became extrememly sensitive to being the object of other people's jokes and would see comments where perhaps there were none. The stress that created is only really visible in hindsight, but the effects were high levels of anxiety; particularly in public or at times when I was likely to come under scrutiny.

I avoided going out to pubs, restaurants or the cinema. Even shopping would create high levels of anxiety. I would worry about a meeting on monday morning on wednesday of the week before and be planning my excuses and then spend the entire meeting concentrating on my breathing and being sure not to vomit. It just got worse and worse and really controlled my life.

It came to a head when I had my first real panic attack queueing in a shop with my son. I went to my GP and she referred me for cognitive behavioural therapy and prescribed a low dose of prozac to control the symptoms in the meantime. I didn't like the prozac especially and I stopped taking it cold turkey (always see a Dr first, I was silly).

The strange thing was that I hadn't really understood the causes of a problem I'd had for 16 years, and 3 sessions of CBT were enough for me to make a breakthrough. If I was unhappy with my body I had only two choices, change it or learn to accept it.

There are all kinds of other problems associated with my anxiety - low self-esteem, a need for validation from others, a tendancy to be passive rather than assertive. It took another year for the last piece of the puzzle to click into place, and that was that I had control of my body if I wanted to take it.

That was January this year, and although my anxiety has been under control for the last year or so, it is only really the last three months where everything is starting to come together in my confidence.

It is a horrible feeling, but if you suffer with anxiety I would recommend CBT to anyone. Ask your doctor, ask for a referral, do whatever you have to to see if it will help you.

It took 16 years for me, and I resent the lost happiness and opportunities I avoided because of my anxiety but there is a solution for everyone.

Get help!

Jon
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/04/01, 06:16 PM
I just realised what a difference my treatment has made to me. 2 Years ago I wouldn't have let my wife see me without a shirt on, now I have a profile picture that shows the world!

Good luck and hugs to anyone dealing with anxiety.

:love:
Emma05
Emma05
Australia
2007/05/29, 03:31 AM
i have always had some sort of anxiety, i have never had a real panic attack but its the constant nagging in my head that really gets me.
But did things like dancing because i loved it but that got attention and i hated the attention, i get heart races buying clothes because i feel people are judging my choice, or they might see the size tag but i wouldn't go walking or running because my butt or boobs might draw attention and people might think 'aaarrr thats gross, hahaha'. so inturn thoes thought have prevented me from doing anything, i am trying to learn not to care what they might think but it is difficult.
i have only used natural remedies to help me which is helping. but i guess its a long process and i have to be paitent.
i dont want to feel this way for another 8 years, my boys deserve better.

my best wishes to all. :)