Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

kinesiology textbook vs conventional wis

gene6
gene6
Canada
2006/11/19, 08:19 PM
ok going through my roomates kin text- on exercise.
says that you need to maintain your heart rate above 85% maximum for 15 minutes to pass the anabolic threshold and start consuming energy from fat storage.
Keep in mind it generally takes me 8-10 minutes to get my heart up there (160 beats per minute as measured by one of those hand sensors on a elliptical)
What it says is that if you have your heart up there for 20 minutes (5 minutes pass that threshold), 3 days a week, you will start losing body fat.

Ive never done cardio- for a year now ive eaten well, and lifted weights and vastly redistributed my wieght- a year ago i was 220, today im 220 pounds, but can lift 3x more on pretty much every part of me. One big difference here is the results where infinitely better when i actually started getting protein in my diet (not a big meat eater- was shooting myself in the foot lol)

Heres what i used to think of cardio- you go for like 20 mins and the machine says youve worked off 200-300 calories? thats nothing- just a sandwidch or so, but i guess i didn't really get the science of it.

So ya im doing well, getting down to the fine tuning of it. Planing to start cardio first the in the morning every morning in addition to what im already doing till i get to the point I really want to get at. Then I try reintroducing old foods, then I plan on dialling back the cardio to 3 times a week/whatever a good maintainable level would be.
Afraid of putting it back on (used to be as high as 330 on my most extreme), but at least i know how to get the fat off.
FYI- weight loss is painfully slow, its gradual, often its not even noticable as you go, but what it takes is consistency, good diet (very very very important), and patience.... if its done right
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/23, 09:44 AM
85%MHR is high - are you sure you are reading that correctly?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/23, 01:48 PM
Yeah Amy...I am sure he is reading it right. Unfortunately, he/she must look at the publishing date of that book. There is still alot of that old stuff around that is way off.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/24, 08:01 AM
Just wondering if I was off or if that seemed odd ...:)

--------------

There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less.
Kurt Hahn