Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

It's just a little cheat. So what?

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/07/31, 09:35 AM
That's what I used to say! Not anymore! I have been eating healthy for the past couple years, and have been working out for a couple years, but consistantly/religiously for the past 3 months or so. About 2 weeks ago I found out that I had Mono. Due to swelling of the spleen and liver with Mono it is not safe to exercise for about 4 weeks while your body recovers. So, I've been watching my diet more closely than ever to keep my weight from hiking back up. I used to think that if I messed up the diet a little, it's no biggie, I'll just exercise a little extra to make up for it. Well, when you CAN'T exercise and your only way to keep your body in check is to watch the diet closely, you really pay attention to every little thing.
So, over the past 2.5 weeks while not working out at all, I've lost a couple lbs, but have lost about 4 inches off my belly and 2 inches off my waist. My initial thought was that I was losing lean muscle, but trust me when I say that the big belly is NOT lean muscle! ha ha. So, I started really breaking down and analyzing my diet and program to see why there is such a difference in where the weight is coming off and why my belly is shinking away while I'm not exercising. Everyone on the board talks about eating clean and cardio is the only way to lose the belly. That's the #1 thing, but I can now speak from experience that it IS the only thing. I ate very well to begin with with a few hiccups here and there. But, I was the typical cheater, "I've eaten really good today, I'll just have a little ice cream and will work out an extra 20 minutes to wear it off". Well people, it doesn't work like that. I was still losing weight before and doing great while having my little "treats" here and there, but now that I've stopped, I can REALLY tell a difference. I can't wait to get back to the gym to put my newly renewed knowledge and old habits together for optimum results!
I talked to the Dr. yesterday to try to get a reprieve and get back to the gym early. No dice. No heavy cardio, no weights, no yoga. GRRRR!!! (Side note, the lack of yoga is making me VERY irritable!) He has given me permission to take a decent paced walk. So, I did not pack my lunch today. I'm going to walk to the grocery store (2 miles) over lunch, pick something up and walk back. It's better than nothing!
So, whenever you think "Just one cookie, I've been good, and I'll work it off", just remember this post. Remember that if you eat a 300 calorie cookie, and burn an average of 300-500 calories per workout (like I do), then how much extra do you have to workout to "burn off" that cookie? Or are you ONLY working out to burn off the cookie, in which case what is the point? I would personally have to run an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill, or do an extra hour of yoga, or an extra hour of weights. And, the time it will take to burn that cookie will take time away from my precious family. Time away from being able to go to bed early to be well rested. An extra bottle of water that I have to drink through the workout (I hate water). I don't think any cookie in the world is worth all that!
So, I now have the following chart on my fridge. It's really helped me stay away from the treats, I have no desire to even try to cheat anymore. I challenge any of you "cheaters" to try it!!!
Recipe for a Treat:
You need:
One hour of yoga or
One hour of weight training or
30 minutes of running
Mixed with 1 hour less sleep
Mixed with 32 oz of water
Mixed with 1 hour of time away from the boys
Mixed with an extra dose of micro-dermabrasion to clean the skin back up

Chew and enjoy treat for 2 minutes. Follow treat with 2 hours worth of guilt mixed with the above. ENJOY!
tuin
tuin
Mexico
2007/07/31, 11:40 AM
Great post!!! very true.... we sometimes think that we have eaten great for a couple of days and "deserve" a treat... but that little moment will cost a lot of sweat. I have lost almost 20lbs in the last 8 weeks and when you feel so great with the new look, you just know that sometimes its better to say "NO" to treats

:dumbbell:
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/07/31, 02:01 PM
ABsolutely. Congrats on the 20 lb. loss!
thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2007/08/03, 10:51 PM
I wasn't sure about ever posting this, but everyone says one cheat meal a week for the diet, so we went to this pizza place and I got an individual size pizza. I'm afraid at even posting what I later found out was the calorie count on it. Let me put it this way, calorieking.com said it would take 6 HOURS of walking to walk it off.
Needless to say, I'll never order that again!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/05, 09:33 AM
The idea of a cheat meal is okay - one meal, once a week will not stop your progress. It is the daily little treats, justified by working out, that add up loss of results instead of weight loss.

A cheat meal can help you stay on track during the week - you know that you have a freebie to look forward to, so it isn't so hard to pass up the donuts at the office or the fast food for lunch.

I have found that my 'cheat ' meals more and more are still healthy foods, just not as superclean as i used to eat. If I eat junk for my cheat meal, it makes me ill. So, nowadays I plan to cook some really tasty sounding recipe from Cooking Light or from some cookbook I am reading for my cheat meal -for example: homemade pizza with whole wheat and flax crust, pesto and turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage and light mozarella cheese. Not something I normally eat, but not really unhealthy). this way i get an indulgence and it doesn't make me so ill.

remember - you need to stay sane and have the occasional reward (be it food or manicure, massage or a new workout cd), you just can't have those rewards every day!:)

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle