Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Is this strange or what??

avfc1988
avfc1988
United Kingdom
2007/07/13, 05:07 PM
Hi I just wanted to get some people's opinions on something a little bit strange.
First I'll tell you a bit about myself - I'm 18 years old and I weigh in at 11 stone. My workouts consist mainly of lifting dumbells (as I have some at home so I prefer to just work with these than paying to go to a gym), so conseqeuntly pretty much all of my workout is concentrated on the biceps (which I know is bad as you are meant to work all the muscle groups and all that). So even though I am medium build I have quite big biceps for my size. However the strange thing is that, even though I am right-handed, my left bicep is way bigger than my right. And what I find confusing is that I can lift more with my right arm (I can do 18kg dumbell on the right but only 15kg on the left) and I tend to train my right arm more anyway because it is stronger so I can lift weights on it for longer.
So what does everyone think of this, is it strange or is there a reasonable explanation for it and has anybody heard of this before?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/13, 08:33 PM
Sometimes things just are...

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
2007/07/15, 03:58 PM
What is strange is that you even care about this nonsense. All you do is curls? That is a bloody waste of time. Why dont you man up and get a cheap weight set so you could actually get a benefit from lifting weights. Squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, pull ups, etc are things that produce results. Endless bouts of curls is something clueless people do in the gym. Even with the light Dbs u would get more benefit out of doing lunges, split squats, pistols, 1 legged RDLs, etc....u can get a cheap weight set for under 100$...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/07/15, 06:41 PM
It is not unusual for a weaker arm to overcompensate over time.

That being said, I agree 100% with Menace.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/16, 09:03 AM
You're concerned that one arm is stronger than the other and larger, yet you confess to doing more work with the stronger arm.....

What sense does that make. Besides the facts everyone else stated, how would they ever even come close to evening out this way???