Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

is there something wrong?

kc101
kc101
United States
2006/05/25, 03:49 PM
hi i'm new here and having some worrying menstrual problems. i started about 2 1/2 years ago so they are not yet regular but recently they have been really crazy. usually my cycle was about 37 days but then i had 2 where my period started 2 weeks before expected, and then it started 3 weeks later than expected! And they have also gotten extremely light, to the point i hardly realize im having a period at all. I mainly just get a brownish discharge. And the other day, about 2 weeks after my 'period' i noticed a dark brown discharge. my periods don't hurt any more either. i'm not really complaning, but i am concerned there might be something wrong. What do u think is wrong, and should i get checked out by a doctor?
kc101
kc101
United States
2006/05/25, 03:50 PM
oh, it it helps i am not sexually active, not on any birth control, and have a balanced diet plus i exercise regularly (though not excessively)
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/05/25, 03:56 PM
My guess...your body is still adjusting to these.My periods didn't even out until my twenties,I'm in my thirties now and they a re still sometimes off.I would mention it when you go for your gynecology check up.They would probably have a more precise answer for you.But if you aren't sexually active(good for you!)and you are healthy,I would say just give your body some time.

--------------
There are no rewards in life for having brains,only for using them!
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2006/05/25, 09:17 PM
When i first started working out, my periods were late or really light. Sometimes when your going through change, such as working out, or even starting a new job, or moving, often times these stressors cause your periods to be a bit off. However if this becomes a regular thing for you, it is best to see a doctor.
TheFluffyDuck
TheFluffyDuck
Canada
2006/05/26, 01:13 AM
Hello. I would consider seeing your gyno about this. It could be a number of things. As someone who has been thru that hell, only on the opposite end of the spectrum - it can't hurt to have some more insight on what's happening with the bod.

Good luck. ;)
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/05/26, 07:01 AM
It's not unusual, especially in the first 2 years after starting your period, to skip periods or to have an irregular menstrual cycle. Illness, rapid weight change, or stress can also make things more unpredictable because the part of the brain that regulates periods is influenced by stuff like this.

Some girls always have irregular periods others get theirs every 28 days like clockwork. Many are regular most of the time, but occasionally skip a period or get an extra period during times of pressure or stress. In fact, you may notice that when you go on a trip or have a major change in your schedule your period is late.

The length of your periods may also vary - sometimes your period may last 2 days, sometimes 10. That's because the level of hormones your body manufactures can be different from one cycle to the next and this affects the amount and length of bleeding.

At some point as you grow, your cycle will probably settle into a recognizable pattern. This should happen by 3 years after your first period.

kc101
kc101
United States
2006/05/26, 12:01 PM
thanks for the replies. And thanks mysticgrace for clearing something up for me...whenever i find out i have 2 go on vacation i worry so much that my period is gonna start while there, and then it starts at the worst possible time...i used 2 think it was just really bad luck...i guess i have 2 try and control that worrying lol..
As for the other thing..well i know my periods are meant to be irregular but they have just been TOO irregular..Oh yeah, and its started again, 2 weeks since my last one, and again it is light. And it is just mostly brown (im assuming old) blood, which is strange...And i can't really think of anything in my life which would influence this. Do you think it would be some hormone imbalance, and if it is, is it too much oestrogen, too little...or what?
I'm gonna wait until my Next period and if it still starts at an uneexpected time and is not like a proper period, i guess i'll see the doctor (i dont really have a gyno...i didnt think 16 yr olds like myself would need one)
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/05/26, 12:56 PM
I was saying earlier my periods were irregular until I hit my twenties....I found out when I had my tubes tied that one of my fallopian tubes was completely closed off from scar tissue,this made my periods really off until I started having babies.This probably isn't useful info for you:).What I'm trying to say is the drs put me on alot of hormone therapy(birth control)to try and even them out,it helped some.But getting older is all my body really needed.It might put your mind at rest to see a Dr. though.It's not to traumatizing,I had actually forgotten about it until now!!:laugh:

--------------
There are no rewards in life for having brains,only for using them!
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/05/26, 03:19 PM
KC101

You know when I decide to go visit my mom(4 hours away) doesnt matter when I decide...damn if my period doesnt start that day!

Ages 15/16 are the perfect age for a young lady to have their first gyno exam,breasts,pelvic and pap smear and this is a great time to bring up any concerns you may have.

You dont need to see a gyno specifically...a family dr will do fine...My daughter is 14 and she will go for her first exam next year...She started her period when she was 12 and its still irregular..and she too has the periods with light brownish bleeding..