Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Is my mindset going to work?

howlandplace
howlandplace
United States
2009/05/04, 03:59 PM
Hello all. I'm somewhat new to dieting/weight lifting. I did it for about 2 months a few years ago, but then I broke my jaw and was unable to eat anything solid and did not feel like working out. Then, when my jaw was unwired, I was having too much fun eating all the food I couldn't eat for 2 months and basically fell off the wagon, so to speak.

Right now, I'm 27 years old and I weigh about 250lbs at 6'1. My goal is to get some muscle and slim down, basically to look better in my clothes and to attract the attention of women more.

Now, previously, I was a horrible eater. Lots of Pizza, fast food, no exercise, lots of midnight snacking, etc. Lots of soda.

So, now I'm on the intermediate progressive gains workout on here. I really like the workouts, I get a good muscle sore going and feel great after I hit the gym. After the workout, I usually spend about 20-30mins doign cardio, which is usually that machine that's liek a treadmill but it has pedals (sorry I don't know the name)

Anyway, the point of my post is that I want to know if my diet is really ok, or if it's really going to set me back. I've cut out all the fast food stuff and all the junk (candy, alfredos, stuff like that). So, while I'm not eating dressing-less salads or little 4 oz pieces of chicken and brown rice, I have changed my diet alot. I only drink water and diet soda, and have stopped eating after 7 or 8 pm at night. I snack on raw veggies usually and then do a breakfast/lunch/dinner. A typical breakfast would be half a bagel and yogurt with 2 boiled egg whites, lunch would be something like a 6" turkey sub from subway with soutwest sauce and dinner would be soemthing like 8-10oz of chicken/beef/pork with the fat trimmed, veggies and some white rice with pepper. I figure that while my diet isn't really stringent, but it's much better than what I used to eat.

So, is it ok if you eat like I do while working out 4x a week to achieve the goal I want, which is to lose quite a bit of my fat and put on some muscle so I can feel comfortable going to the beach with my shirt off?

Sorry for the long post