Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

i thought WebMD was a trustful source!!

kenny_wtf
kenny_wtf
United Kingdom
2008/06/20, 12:38 AM
for a long time i thought WebMD was a trustful no bullshit source for accurate information on health stuff.
but today i read this topic under mens health saying "The six habits for a 6-pack"

isnt the title itself false? i mean nowhere in the report have they mentioned about the role genetics play. AS far as i know, only genetics will decided if you will have a 6 pack or not..and not everybody is gifted with a 6 pack no matter how hard they try.

so why havent a source like WebMD mentioned this?

all sold for money and marketing i guess.
please let me know your opinion

here is the page

http://men.webmd.com/features/six-habits-for-six-pack
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/06/23, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't discredit it that quickly, a 6-pack is about more than just genetics. Sure better genetics will make it easier but it is all about body fat. Anyone can get their body fat low enough to see their abs but it may just be harder for some.

It is probably just general BS though that people should be doing anyway.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/23, 12:30 PM
Anybody can get a six pack like ecle5c said. In order for it to happen you have to have a very strict diet and enough muscle to make them stick out. It's hard though. I think in order for men to see six packs they have to be down to something like 5-10% body fat.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/23, 05:03 PM
============
Quoting from kenny_wtf:

isnt the title itself false? i mean nowhere in the report have they mentioned about the role genetics play. AS far as i know, only genetics will decided if you will have a 6 pack or not..and not everybody is gifted with a 6 pack no matter how hard they try.

=============

Actually, geneticall EVERYONE has a six pack. The "six pack" is just the rectus abdominus (yes, 1 muscle) held in by tendons and ligaments.

The difference that genetics plays is that some people have naturally larger abdominals, and some naturally store less fat in that area.

Assuming genetics is the only factor would first off be a cop-out, and second would be wrong. How defined my abs are is a direct result of what kind of diet I am doing and the type of training I am doing. This winter I did a dirty bulk and let my cardio slip completely doing little to no conditioning, and while I never lost having a flat stomach, the clear definition between "packs" was lost. However, a few months of conditioning and eating a clean maintenance diet and there they are again. My genetics didn't change during this time, but my diet and training did.

Other than that, I agree with everything that article says. If I didn't though, then I'd probably be wrong, since Bill Hartmann is one of the smartest people in this industry, and while that article was probably "watered down" for the webMD crowd, he is still telling the truth. I'd like to intern for either him or Mike Boyle at some point.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/06/29, 07:37 PM
Thats like saying having bicep muscles depends on genetics,
Wrestler made a good point.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)