Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

I need help developing a new workout...

kel37blah
kel37blah
United States
2007/02/07, 07:41 PM
i used to do mourning workouts for football which were monday (biceps, triceps) wednesday (shoulders,chest) friday (Legs and back)

but now since track started i cant go in the mournings. track has us doing this instead. (all of these exercises being 3 x 10.

monday
Squat
DB Tri ext,
Bench
Back Ext
DB Front Raises

Wednesday

Power Clean
Jammers
Incline Bench
DB Calf Raises
Bicep Curls
DB Lunges

Friday

Deadlift
Seated Row
DB Press
Military Press
Leg Curl
Leg Ext

I feel there is more i could be doin besides these workouts but i dont know how i should organize it. keeping in mind that i am trying to get strong for football.
kel37blah
kel37blah
United States
2007/02/07, 10:59 PM
??
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/02/08, 09:04 AM
That?s pretty good actually, but I would not do 3 sets of 10 on the big lifts like squats, cleans, deadlifts and even bench. Add more weight and do like 5X6 or some other lower rep heavy weight scheme.

--------------
Light bulb shaped people are easy to push over!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/08, 06:17 PM
wondering why its not "split" up a little more. But whatever.

Also 2 sets of 10 doesn't seem to be training much...I mean whats the goals of this workout? to do 10 reps?

Especially cleans and deadlifts...I see no reason to do 10 reps on either of these.

To me this seems to be a basic conditioning program with really no goals.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/08, 06:18 PM
pardon...3 sets of 10.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
2007/02/08, 11:43 PM
No offense but that routine blows....

you're using too many isolation lifts....powerclean/deadlift same week leaves a lot to be desired for....the reps are too high....

I would cut out all the isolation garbage. It's about effeciency. You're inseason so you need to focus on a few key big lifts and be done with it.

I would also lift no higher than 5 reps on any main lift. Does this mean you will be maxing out at these reps? no...you can adjust load/intensity as appropriate for you....some days if you feel energetic you can push yourself for a 3-5rm while other days you can do some lighter training using as light as 10rm for your sets of 3-5 reps....

There are many ways to approach splits.....none of which should include bodypart splits...

Push/Pull/Lower Body, modified versions of 3x3 or 5x5(since you're inseason), vertical push/pull, horizontal push/pull, lower body, upper/lower, etc, etc...

I would go with something as simple as

Day1:
-Heavy Squat variation(Front, Back, Box, etc) rotated with Deadlift variation every other week
-Weighted Chins
-Weighted Dips
-Heavy Ab exercise
-Heavy Ab exercise
-Grip Training(DO IT)

Day2:
-Standing Overhead Press(Push Presses, Military, Jerks, bent)
-Dynamic Rows/Bent Over Rows
-Bench
-Heavy Ab Exercise
-Heavy Ab Exercise
-Grip Training

3-5 sets of 3-5 reps....adjust % as needed...
give yourself 3 days of rest between these workouts and try to do them on days off or BEFORE any cardio...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/09, 03:43 PM
Why would he want to do any grip training when he can just wear straps???

I might adjust what menace posted into 3 days, but I'd keep the volume the same... Other than that, he is right... You can do isolation work in the offseason, but in season you need to cut out all unneccesary volume.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
derrickantione
derrickantione
United States
2007/02/09, 04:20 PM
i want to lose my stomach fat
2007/02/10, 12:09 AM
Reason I prefer 2day splits for inseason is that it allows for more recovery especially if the focus is on fairly heavy compound exercises to retain strength/size. Though I would imagine it's an athlete specific thing so 3 day splits may be more effective for some people who prefer more frequent lighter workouts(or recover faster).....apples and oranges really....

On the side note i am beginning to like lifting straps for all their uses.....been great to me on front squats at saving my wrists.....good on strap holds for gripper training....plus for occassional primary use of holding on to heavy weight......sometimes I also wrap them around the bar for thicker more difficult gripping surface...

derrick I sell a stomach fat pumper for 99.99$....quite effective....did wonders for me....
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/10, 01:03 AM
Reason I prefer 3 days is you will be more sore after a liftind day on a 2 day split. This is far from optimal for an athlete. This is also why I don't like bodypart splits for inseason athlets.

Besides that, if the volume is kept the same, recovery may be as good or even better from a 3 day split. Not necessarily apples and oranges, it's just all about balancing volume, intensity, and frequency.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/02/10, 11:50 AM
hey menace... i thought you had a gel you knew about that was really good about givin abs... hahahah
kel37blah
kel37blah
United States
2007/02/10, 01:47 PM
so you guys think i should reduce to 5 reps for just the main lifts?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/10, 01:50 PM
But they won't be resting... They'll be doing energy systems and skills work, so you might as well add in low volume.

I get what you are saying, and it sounds great on paper, but it just isn't practical.

Athletes are different than other clients. Most clients you will have to push to do more. An athlete you will have to force to do less, as western athletes have it engraved that more is better, and they have a special kind of motivation.

If you tell an athlete to lift twice a week, and you only see him/her on those 2 days a week, odds are good they are doing "extra" workouts on their own.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
kel37blah
kel37blah
United States
2007/02/10, 02:00 PM
is there a possibility i should blow off those workouts at practice and just do my own after practice?