Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

I Am Afraid of Gaining Muscles

slimfigure
slimfigure
India
2011/12/21, 10:28 PM

Hi,

this is Debolina Sen from India. Yours is a wonderful website and I have already created and started following my personalized exercise plan. However, I have some confusions which I would request you to clear :

1) In my personalized exercise plan I have been prescribed Push-Ups, Side Laterals, Chins Between Chairs, Can Curls and Dips Behind the Back.

Now, don't you think that these are MASCULINE exercises? (specially Can Curls, coz that uses Weight) Reading the descriptions of the muscle groups which are trained through these exercises, being a LADY I am AFRAID that I can GAIN MUSCLES. If you please clarify..

2) Now, if you say that these exercises are safe, then
can you please tell me that what should be the Breathing Procedure in the above 5 exercises and in Crunches and Calf
Raises? I mean, when should I breathe in and when breathe out during these exercises?

awaiting a reply
Cermakovia
Cermakovia
Canada
2012/01/02, 03:36 PM
Hi Slimfigure, welcome!  I have to stress that these excersize will not make you bulky.  Women have to work REALLY,  REALLY, REALLY hard to to gain bulky muscles.  They will simply give you sexy definition.  If you want a great explination see this post by one of our members - http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=7&t_ix=1266.

For any exercise you want to make sure you exhale on the exertion.  So breathe out when you are doing the hard part.  For example with a crunch, you breathe out when you are curling forward and breathe in as you are coming back down. With a push up you breathe out as you push up, breathe out as you lower yourself down.  Remember for all exercise control the movement in both directions.  For example,  with a can curl don't let you arm drop back down after curling up.  Control the downward movement as well.  You will get twice as much out of the excercise.