Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Hypothyroidism

Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/03/01, 02:41 AM
My doctor is giving me something for my thyroid.... :(
I've always been extremely active, fast metabolism, and sometimes even quite nervous and restless, so it's rather weird that my thyroid is now not producing the necessairy hormones (I've always thought it would be the contrary!).
Does anybody know somebody else like that?

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2004/03/01, 10:55 AM
Really sorry to hear that! I don't know anyone w/ hypothyroid but I don't think it's that uncommon. Does your dr have any idea why?

Take care!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2004/03/01, 12:13 PM
You're right that doesnt sound right. I had the opposite problem, hyperthyroidism. Mine was going crazy and overproducing from years of dieting and diet pills. One side was enlarged so they removed it and put me on thyroid mainly to keep the other side from producing much at all. I was so thin then and it was easy to stay that way. I hated for them to even do anything about it, but that wouldnt have been healthy either. (Now that the weight is so stubbornly staying with me I sometimes wish the problem would come back.)

--------------
~Victoria~
...Do not be discouraged; everyone who got where he is, started where he was.--anon
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2004/03/01, 04:37 PM
Back in '92 after my 2nd child, I went down to 89 lbs (normal pre-pregnancy weight was around 100 lbs) and I was exhausted all the time. Got my bloodwork done and turns out my thyroid was "hypo", which I couldn't understand being that I lost so much weight. Turns out (the way the Doctor explained it to me) was that my thyroid went "hyper" then "hypo". I've never understood it, but since then, my thyroid has been hypo.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/03/02, 02:22 AM
Hmmmmm I guess it's not just that simple, huh?!! :surprised:

The doc gave me some Thyroxin and I need another blood test to be taken in one month, so let's see what happens........

--------------
www.nme-pro.com
cherbhere2
cherbhere2
United States
2004/03/02, 03:00 PM
Hi-
I'm Hypo, and so are a few of my relatives and a friend... everyone is different though.
I - gain weight at the drop of a hat- and have slow motabolism...
My friend- is extreemly thin and never gains an ounce.
Family members- are all different too-
I'm on Synthroid now- have tried other meds, but none seemed to do the trick.
The key is to keep up with your doc- get the blood work done, and try not to miss taking your meds.
Good luck and keep us posted!
-Cher
cherbhere2
cherbhere2
United States
2004/03/02, 03:00 PM
Hi-
I'm Hypo, and so are a few of my relatives and a friend... everyone is different though.
I - gain weight at the drop of a hat- and have slow motabolism...
My friend- is extreemly thin and never gains an ounce.
Family members- are all different too-
I'm on Synthroid now- have tried other meds, but none seemed to do the trick.
The key is to keep up with your doc- get the blood work done, and try not to miss taking your meds.
Good luck and keep us posted!
-Cher
riechellem
riechellem
United States
2004/03/02, 03:22 PM
I was hyperthyroid as a teenager (couldn't hold a pound) and was treated with radioactive iodine. After I had my daughter I became hypo - which is common for many women. The doctor explained that because it is an auto-immune disease after the treatment it leveled off for about 10 years then dropped. I am also currently on Synthroid. I agree with Cher, you have to be an educated patient and listen to your body.

Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/03/05, 02:27 AM
Somebody gave me this great site. Here you'll find everything you need to know about the thyroid.

http://www.ithyroid.com/

--------------
www.nme-pro.com
poorgirl
poorgirl
United States
2004/03/05, 10:52 PM
I have the opposite problem. Well sort of. My thyroid works just fine but my body doesnt use it correctly. I have what is called Wilson's Thryoid Syndrom. I am currently taking T3 pure thryoid hormone in an attempt to train my body to use it instead of storing it away. Since I have started taking the T3 I have begun to lose weight again. There are many many people out there being mis-diagnosed everyday because the general medical community doesnt understand the thyroid and all the disorders it can cause/mimmick. Best of luck on your solving your particular thyroid problems.
Hlinda0774
Hlinda0774
United States
2004/04/10, 04:26 PM
:)i am hypothyroid. it really is awful i diet like everyone else they get results i get nothing. help
heather_lynn68
heather_lynn68
United States
2004/04/12, 05:31 PM
I have also been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I am now taking synthroid. It was discovered during a routine physical. The hypothyroidism explains why I was slowly gaining weight and I couldn't get it off no matter how hard I tried. I am now on my way to feeling better but I still have to work a lot harder than other people to keep the weight off. You need to have a good relationship with your dr. and tell him exactly how you are feeling and get your levels checked every 3 months to check if you need to adjust your meds. You will feel better, take it from me!
goka
goka
United States
2004/04/17, 10:04 PM
I have hypothyroidism...Found out after I missed my period for about 7 months...Worse??? Have been trying to get pregnant for about two years now and nothing :( . First doc put me on birth control...Second gave me synthroid...I have stopped using both figuring all these crazy chemicals can't be good for my body--I became moody, gained weight which now does not want to budge down, just keeps going up, and had a severe loss of sex drive--not good for my relationship..
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/04/19, 02:40 AM
Normally a treatment for your thyroid is for the rest of your life........ :surprised:
Goka, maybe you should check with your doc again.

--------------
www.nme-pro.com
Kristin6
Kristin6
United States
2004/08/08, 07:50 PM
I recently had my thyroid removed due to cancer but on top of that I am severe hypothyroid. I have put on weight that I cannot seem to get off even now that I am on Synthroid.:( I don't really have any suggestions except to say that it is VERY hard for someone who is Hypothyroid to remove weight. I was also told that it is a condition that can come at any time. A combination of Synthroid and T3 can help with the weight loss though I am not at that point yet.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/08/15, 08:34 PM
I wanted to mention that I have been told to calculate the amount of calories you would normally have to lose weight and subtract an additional 200 calories from that. It seems to be helping me - hypo for 13 years now, thyroid cancer, on Synthroid 150, but nothing but strict exercise and eating helps it one bit. Best not to let it get out of control as I did!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
padua
padua
United States
2004/08/16, 10:57 AM
i have underactive thyroid. i've had this problem for the past 5 years, i have read everything about it. i also know that this is a lie time problem .It will never go away it can get better but you will always have it. you can also get pregnant and have a very healthy child . 1 month ago i gave birth to a health 8 pound 9 oz boy . He was checked for his thyroid level and it was perfect..right now i am on 150 of synthroid..i get checked every three months. but i learned to live with it.it is true when they say it is harder to loss the weight,but not impossible...good luck ladies.
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2004/08/17, 02:19 PM
Say goodbye to your body as you now know it. It will slowly change and not for the better. That does not mean you have to be fat but keeping weight off with hypo is very tough. The whole metabolism just gets slow and then with age. I went through a two and half year plateau with this. I did everything know to man and could not shed a lb. I had gained 10 lbs from a broken foot . I finally got my T3 treated as well as Syntrhoid and I finally broke the plateau. Hypo is different than hyper. And thyroid is notorious for going up and down thus the need for ever adjusting the meds and watching your weight fail. Mine is stable at present therefore results from my program. It is the most frusterating and not so benign condition. There are books by Dr. Vliet called screaming to be heard and It's my ovaries stupid talking about women and hormones. Also google hypothyroid and do the research and find a doc that will really listen because there are a list of very annoying symptoms with this. It is now more important than ever to eat good carbs and forget the garbage.
dellafalls
dellafalls
Canada
2004/08/17, 05:05 AM
I was diagnosised with hypothyrodism about 20 years ago. I never really had any of the classic symptoms, but did have a gotier on my thyroid that went away with the start of synthroid. It is important to have your t3 and t4 checked and a nuclear scan when fist diagnosised. I have been stable for years, and get routine b/w testing done once ayear to be sure it remains that way. best of luck to you
heather_lynn68
heather_lynn68
United States
2004/08/17, 04:56 PM

============
Quoting from vedakathryn:

I wanted to mention that I have been told to calculate the amount of calories you would normally have to lose weight and subtract an additional 200 calories from that. It seems to be helping me - hypo for 13 years now, thyroid cancer, on Synthroid 150, but nothing but strict exercise and eating helps it one bit. Best not to let it get out of control as I did!

=============
How many calories do you eat? I am having a hard time with the last few lbs. I can just look at food and gain weight! I can't rely on normal calorie intake advice because I gain weight so easily.
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/08/18, 12:04 PM
im not trying to be funny, but i clicked on this thread because i thought i saw the word hypnotism, but no, it was hypothyroidism, at least i know what it means now, thanks for the insight.

--------------
I, ROBERT.

A.D.F.
padua
padua
United States
2004/08/18, 12:28 PM
it takes twice as hard t loss the weightwith a thyroid problem then it would a normal thyroid.. some people give up quickly..because there are so many of us with this problem i think we should have a thread just for this hypothyroidism...it is very hard not to get upset when the weight takes long to come off....we can talk to and know that others understand...
TVR_BABE
TVR_BABE
United Kingdom
2005/10/03, 01:51 PM
Dont know if this helps anyone.. even though im young i have a under active thyriod and i always thought i would be fat.. i was a uk size 14 and i think i was nealy a 16 at some point, weighing in at just under 11 stone (im 5'5 tall) So i started using a cross trainer, going for walks and eating right... and to be honest the weight fell off! im on 125 thyroxine a day, and im still able to control my weight easy and not put any on... you just got to try hard and not give up!!! Im now a size 10, and i weight 8 stone 1 pounds... surely that proves weight loss can happen with hypo! its well power! I would not let anyone tell me it was going to be hard, or impossible... and look how far i have come!
ragingmouse
ragingmouse
United States
2006/01/19, 03:14 PM
After dealing with a thyroid condition for 35 years .. I can tell you that its quite difficult to lose the weight and keep it off. There are several diets available to thryoid survivors out there. Happy to help in any way I can.. Just DONT GIVE UP .. there are always answers ..
Philia2
Philia2
France
2006/01/21, 01:26 AM
My doc just put me on stronger thyroide treatment 2 days ago. I'm hypo but I still manage to keep my body fat at 16%.
Eating healthy, training and lots of Yoga helps me to stay in shape. :love:

--------------
www.nme-pro.com
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/01/23, 05:25 AM
Was searching for hypothyroidism and came across this thread, I'm not a female but am looking for insight on this.

I know things can get pretty out of hand if you don't take your meds. Part of my problem the last couple months was due to me not taking them. My thyroid was off the chart and after a couple weeks it is back under control now, so the only advice I can really give you is keep taking your meds.

Good luck!

--------------
Seize the day!
NatalyH
NatalyH
United States
2006/02/24, 03:13 PM
I am very discouraged at present. For the first 34 years of my life I was thin and athletic with a high metabolism. During the my third pregnancy at age 33 and still very active, I gained more weight than previously. After a scheduled c-section I gained more and did not loose any. I also was not healing from the surgery and very tired ect... My Doctor ran routine test found that I was severley Hypothyroid. I was put on Synthroid and I worked out hard. I finally lost the 30lbs in 1 1/2 years. At age 36, with the birth of our last child, again it took every bit of two years to nearly lose all the weight. Then I required a Hytorectomy and following that surgery 1 1/2 years ago I gained the 20-25lbs back. I try to tell my doctor that the Synthroid 125 is not enough no matter what the blood test say. Does any one have insight and has any one ever heard that saliva tests are more accurate?

Frustrated at age 39! I do not want to bring my 40's in with no hope I want to get these 25lbs off!
NatalyH
NatalyH
United States
2006/02/24, 03:55 PM
CORRECTION; Hystorectomy
olozbal
olozbal
United States
2006/03/05, 04:17 PM
Hi, I'm a mother of two beautiful boys (2yrs and 8mos). I was never regular and once we started trying to get pregnant it took a couple of years. I was diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism whish was bizarre because I was always so hyper and full of energy. It's amazing how this little gland controls so much. I have been on Synthroid (112mcg) for 3 years now and I make sure I get it checked every 12-16 weeks as per my doc. It's also important to know that there are certain foods that don't help the thyroid. It's worth checking out because there were a few foods that I ate a lot of, like green peas, that just aren't the best thing to eat when you have hypothyroidism. Most docs don't tell you to have your diet evaluated by a nutritionist, but it's worth it! I have been able to personalize my workout plan with weights, aerobic activities and now a diet that works for ME. Remember, this is a chemical imbalance. Also, be sure to ask your doc to do a full work up on your thyroid. Ask your doctor to check your TSH, T3, and T4 levels and explain to you where your levels need to be. Get educated...knowledge is power!:big_smile:

--------------
olozbal
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/03/06, 02:32 PM
Thought I would post one of the best articles I have read regarding this so far as I have it as well. While it seems like you have to work out three times harder to lose, it can be done. Good luck!
--------------------------------------
Definition

Hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid, develops when the thyroid gland fails to produce or secrete as much thyroxine (T4) as the body needs. Because T4 regulates such essential functions as heart rate, digestion, physical growth, and mental development, an insufficient supply of this hormone can slow life-sustaining processes, damage organs and tissues in every part of the body, and lead to life-threatening complications.

Description

Hypothyroidism is one of the most common chronic diseases in the United States. Symptoms may not appear until years after the thyroid has stopped functioning and they are often mistaken for signs of other illnesses, menopause, or aging. Although this condition is believed to affect as many as 11 million adults and children, as many as two of every three people with hypothyroidism may not know they have the disease.

Nicknamed "Gland Central" because it influences almost every organ, tissue, and cell in the body, the thyroid is shaped like a butterfly and located just below the Adam's apple. The thyroid stores iodine the body gets from food and uses this mineral to create T4. Low T 4 levels can alter weight, appetite, sleep patterns, body temperature, sex drive, and a variety of other physical, mental, and emotional characteristics.

There are three types of hypothyroidism. The most common is primary hypothyroidism, in which the thyroid doesn't produce an adequate amount of T4. Secondary hypothyroidism develops when the pituitary gland does not release enough of the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) that prompts the thyroid to manufacture T4. Tertiary hypothyroidism results from a malfunction of the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that controls the endocrine system. Drug-induced hypothyroidism, an adverse reaction to medication, occurs in two of every 10,000 people, but rarely causes severe hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism is at least twice as common in women as it is in men. Although hypothyroidism is most common in women who are middle-aged or older, the disease can occur at any age. Newborn infants are tested for congenital thyroid deficiency (cretinism) using a test that measures the levels of thyroxine in the infant's blood. Treatment within the first few months of life can prevent mental retardation and physical abnormalities. Older children who develop hypothyroidism suddenly stop growing.

Factors that increase a person's risk of developing hypothyroidism include age, weight, and medical history. Women are more likely to develop the disease after age 50; men, after age 60. Obesity also increases risk. A family history of thyroid problems or a personal history of high cholesterol levels or such autoimmune diseases as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or diabetes can make an individual more susceptible to hypothyroidism.

Causes and symptoms

Hypothyroidism is most often the result of Hashimoto's disease, also known as chronic thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid gland). In this disease, the immune system fails to recognize that the thyroid gland is part of the body's own tissue and attacks it as if it were a foreign body. The attack by the immune system impairs thyroid function and sometimes destroys the gland. Other causes of hypothyroidism include:

Radiation. Radioactive iodine used to treat hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) or radiation treatments for head or neck cancers can destroy the thyroid gland.

Surgery. Removal of the thyroid gland because of cancer or other thyroid disorders can result in hypothyroidism.

Viruses and bacteria. Infections that depress thyroid hormone production usually cause permanent hypothyroidism.

Medication. Nitroprusside, lithium, or iodides can induce hypothyroidism. Because patients who use these medications are closely monitored by their doctors, this side effect is very rare.

Pituitary gland malfunction. This is a rare condition in which the pituitary gland fails to produce enough TSH to activate the thyroid's production of T4.

Congenital defect. One of every 4,000 babies is born without a properly functioning thyroid gland.

Diet. Because the thyroid makes T4 from iodine drawn from food, an iodine-deficient diet can cause hypothyroidism. Adding iodine to table salt and other common foods has eliminated iodine deficiency in the United States. Certain foods (cabbage, rutabagas, peanuts, peaches, soybeans, spinach) can interfere with thyroid hormone production.

Environmental contaminants. Certain man-made chemicals-such as PCBs-found in the local environment at high levels may also cause hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism is sometimes referred to as a "silent" disease because early symptoms may be so mild that no one realizes anything is wrong. Untreated symptoms become more noticeable and severe, and can lead to confusion and mental disorders, breathing difficulties, heart problems, fluctuations in body temperature, and death.

Someone who has hypothyroidism will probably have more than one of the following symptoms:

fatigue

decreased heart rate

progressive hearing loss

weight gain

problems with memory and concentration

depression

goiter (enlarged thyroid gland)

muscle pain or weakness

loss of interest in sex

numb, tingling hands

dry skin

swollen eyelids

dryness, loss, or premature graying of hair

extreme sensitivity to cold

constipation

irregular menstrual periods

hoarse voice

Hypothyroidism usually develops gradually. When the disease results from surgery or other treatment for hyperthyroidism, symptoms may appear suddenly and include severe muscle cramps in the arms, legs, neck, shoulders, and back.

It's important to see a doctor if any of these symptoms appear unexpectedly. People whose hypothyroidism remains undiagnosed and untreated may eventually develop myxedema. Symptoms of this rare but potentially deadly complication include enlarged tongue, swollen facial features, hoarseness, and physical and mental sluggishness.

Myxedema coma can cause unresponsiveness; irregular, shallow breathing; and a drop in blood pressure and body temperature. The onset of this medical emergency can be sudden in people who are elderly or have been ill, injured, or exposed to very cold temperatures; who have recently had surgery; or who use sedatives or anti-depressants. Without immediate medical attention, myxedema coma can be fatal.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis of hypothyroidism is based on the patient's observations, medical history, physical examination, and thyroid function tests. Doctors who specialize in treating thyroid disorders (endocrinologists) are most apt to recognize subtle symptoms and physical indications of hypothyroidism. A blood test known as a thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) assay, thyroid nuclear medicine scan, and thyroid ultrasound are used to confirm the diagnosis. A woman being tested for hypothyroidism should let her doctor know if she is pregnant or breastfeeding and all patients should be sure their doctors are aware of any recent procedures involving radioactive materials or contrast media.

The TSH assay is extremely accurate, but some doctors doubt the test's ability to detect mild hypothyroidism. They advise patients to monitor their basal (resting) body temperature for below-normal readings that could indicate the presence of hypothyroidism.

Treatment

Natural or synthetic thyroid hormones are used to restore normal (euthyroid) thyroid hormone levels. Synthetic hormones are more effective than natural substances, but it may take several months to determine the correct dosage. Patients start to feel better within 48 hours, but symptoms will return if they stop taking the medication.

Most doctors prescribe levothyroxine sodium tablets, and most people with hypothyroidism will take the medication for the rest of their lives. Aging, other medications, and changes in weight and general health can affect how much replacement hormone a patient needs, and regular TSH tests are used to monitor hormone levels. Patients should not switch from one brand of thyroid hormone to another without a doctor's permission.

Regular exercise and a high-fiber diet can help maintain thyroid function and prevent constipation.

Alternative treatment

Alternative treatments are primarily aimed at strengthening the thyroid and will not eliminate the need for thyroid hormone medications. Herbal remedies to improve thyroid function and relieve symptoms of hypothyroidism include bladder wrack (Fucus vesiculosus), which can be taken in capsule form or as a tea. Some foods, including cabbage, peaches, radishes, soybeans, peanuts, and spinach, can interfere with the production of thyroid hormones. Anyone with hypothyroidism may want to avoid these foods. The Shoulder Stand yoga position (at least once daily for 20 minutes) is believed to improve thyroid function.

Prognosis

Thyroid hormone replacement therapy generally maintains normal thyroid hormone levels unless treatment is interrupted or discontinued.

Prevention

Primary hypothyroidism can't be prevented, but routine screening of adults could detect the disease in its early stages and prevent complications.

Key Terms

Cretinism
Severe hypothyroidism that is present at birth.

Endocrine system
The network of glands that produce hormones and release them into the bloodstream. The thyroid gland is part of the endocrine system.

Hypothalamus
The part of the brain that controls the endocrine system.

Myxedema
A condition that can result from a thyroid gland that produces too little of its hormone. In addition to a decreased metabolic rate, symptoms may include anemia, slow speech, an enlarged tongue, puffiness of the face and hands, loss of hair, coarse and thickened skin, and sensitivity to cold.

Pituitary gland
Small, oval endocrine gland attached to the hypothalamus. The pituitary gland releases TSH, the hormone that activates the thyroid gland.

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
A hormone secreted by the pituitary gland that controls the release of T by the thyroid gland.

Thyroxine (T)
Thyroid hormone that regulates many essential body processes.
For Your Information

Books

The Editors of Time-Life Books. The Medical Advisor: The Complete Guide to Alternative and Conventional Treatments. Alexandria, VA: Time Life, Inc., 1996.

Langer, Stephen, and James F. Scheer. Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness. Keats Publishing, 1995.

Rosenthal, M. Sara. The Thyroid Sourcebook: Everything You Need to Know. Lowell House, 1996.

Wood, Lawrence C., David S. Cooper, and E. Chester Ridgway. Your Thyroid: A Home Reference. Ballantine Books, 1996.

Periodicals

Dranov, P. "Tired? Wired? It Could Be Your Thyroid." American Health (May 1994): 90-93.

Drexler, Madeline. "The Disease Doctors Miss." McCall's, Oct. 1996, 112.

"Experts Urge Testing for Sluggish Thyroid." Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter (Mar. 1997): 1.

"Recognizing and Treating Thyroid Problems." Health After 50 (Aug. 1996): 6.

"Underactive Thyroid" Mayo Clinic Health Letter (Mar. 1996): 1-3.

Organizations

American Thyroid Association. Montefiore Medical Center, 111 E. 210th St., Bronx, NY 10467.

Endocrine Society. 4350 East West Highway, Suite 500, Bethesda, MD 20814-4410. (301) 941-0200.

Thyroid Foundation of America, Inc. Ruth Sleeper Hall, RSL 350, Boston, MA 02114-2968. (800) 832-8321 or (617) 726-8500.

Thyroid Society for Education and Research. 7515 S. Main St., Suite 545, Houston, TX 77030. (800) THYROID or (713) 799-9909.

Other

Haggerty, Maureen. "AACE Guidelines for the Evaluation and Treatment of Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism." A Healthy Me Page. 13 Dec. 1997 http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic47578

Caroll, Linda. "Routine Screening for Thyroid Disorders Cost-Effective." 13 Dec. 1997

"EDRI Federal Project Inventory: Disruption of Thyroid Hormone Action by Environmental Agents - Impact on Brain Development." Environmental Protection Agency. 13 Dec. 1997 http://www.epa.gov/epahome/index.html

"FAQ on Hashimoto's Thyroiditis." 13 Dec. 1997 http://www.geocities.com/Athens/3626/hashimoto

"Hypothyroidism." National Institute of Health. 12 Dec. 1997 http://www.cc.nih.gov

"Hypothyroidism." InteliHealth Page. 10 Dec. 1998 http://www.intelihealth.com

Haggerty, Maureen. "Hypothyroidism." A Healthy Me Page. 14 Dec. 1997 http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic47578

Mickelson, Alana. "Unmasking Thyroid Disease." 13 Dec. 1997

"Thyroid Conditions." American Medical Women's Association Page. 8 Dec. 1997 http://www.amwa-doc.org/thyroid.html

"Thyroid Disorders." Columbia University Health Sciences Page. 12 Dec. 1997 http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu

--------------
Bettia.... You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-Mark Twain

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com

bh1416
bh1416
United States
2006/06/12, 07:53 PM
Hey everyone, i am 26 years old and was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and had it removed about a year ago. I was on synthroid 175, but like many of you my workout lifestyle could keep up, not to mention I am a landscaper as well. I have since been put on a supplemental medication that my doctor prescribed for me because I was becoming very fatigued mid-afternoon which impeded my workouts. Talk to your doctor for more information, but I thought I would let you know my little story.
Thanks!

--------------
"The Lord is my light and my salvation - Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life - Of whom shall I be afraid?"
Psalm 27
bh1416
bh1416
United States
2006/06/12, 07:57 PM
oh by the way, my current prescription is 150 synthroid and a half tablet of cytomel 25.
boiisbig
boiisbig
United States
2007/12/31, 04:47 AM
this is not just a ladies disease-- i am a male 42yrs had for about 5yrs ---1st hyper lost weight and then i had the radiated iodine treatment and have been gaining weight ever since--- i;m on 175 really not doing anything for me
lnako
lnako
United States
2008/01/01, 09:11 PM
I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis 2 years ago. I quit smoking 4 years ago and slowly the weight appeared and I thought that it was from that but through an exam from my doctor I found out that I had hypothyroid. I am on levoxyl which is like synthroid and I am still having a hard time losing weight and all my thyroid levels are at the normal level now.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/02, 02:25 PM
What is your diet looking like? What kind of exercising are you doing?

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
padua
padua
United States
2008/01/02, 03:14 PM
I've had Hypothyroid now for 9 years and found it very hard at times to deal with it. There are many things that you can feel with Hypothyroid ..Really heavy hands, cold chills, headaches, depression , mood swings, low sex drive, infertility, hair loss, swollen glands,large tongue, sleepiness, and many more. Right now i am on Armour it is a more natural thyroid, I used to be on synthroid and still felt not myself so i did y research and switched over to the more natural one made from pigs and cows thyroid.Many doctors are against it saying that it is old fashion medicine but i never felt better on anything else. you have to do your research and see what works for you. You have to see if your the type of person that can produce enough T4 and T3 or the type of person that has low T4 and it is very important to know that. Your body needs T4 to make T3, T3 helps your thyroid to function right. And the medicine that you choose helps in the type of help your thyroid needs. You should check your body temperature if it is low than so is your thyroid level. Soy food is not good for hypothyroid but excellent for hyperthyroid. Raw broccoli and cauliflower is bad too. But you should do your research, when i first found out about it I spent hours after hours researching ...Good luck and do what works for you doctors don't know how you feel on a medicine they just know how to write prescription..
EmmaAppeared
EmmaAppeared
United States
2008/01/11, 12:50 AM
So I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism since I was 16 but have only been taking medicine since I was 20 (I'm 22 now). My doctor claims my medicine (synthroid) has my thyroid balanced but my hair still falls out all the time, I'm still tired all the time, and no matter what I do I still keep gaining weight. When I started college (3&1/2 years ago) I was about a 14 womens, now I am a 22. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else it may be? Should I just be more aggressive about my thyroid testing??? :(

(Reading Padua's comment my average body temp is usually a
degree lower than everyone else's but when I tell my doc this she thinks I am crazy.)

It is so frustrating and draining!
padua
padua
United States
2008/01/13, 10:28 AM
There is a normal blood reading for thyroid levels....so you ask your doctor what is your blood level or do you just relay on your doctors input..the only time my hair falls out is when my thyroid levels are low. and i know that it is time for a test..I have remained on the same weight for awhile and i am started the gym again i don't look anything like i would like to but it is because i have not tried as soon as i started dieting ( watching what i eat i lost about 5 pounds in 2 weeks..I have been going to my doctor for 9 years and i tell her what i want and need and how i feel and if she tells me something i don't like i tell her she is there for me I'm not there for her,.... your body is telling you your levers are of....have you read what thyroids do for your body..your thyroid is the heart of your hormones. it is a balance beam for hormones....good luck .....
EmmaAppeared
EmmaAppeared
United States
2008/01/13, 07:38 PM
Thanks! Yeah I have always been told that my thyroid is what is causing my hair loss and increasing weight gain. So, after reading more and getting irritated that she isn't listening to me I called her and demanded more tests. She is going to recheck my thyroid (including looking specifically at my T3 and T4 levels) and she said we should also check for diabetes. I get to do that tomorrow so hopefully I can finally figure out what's up.

Thanks again!
nurin
nurin
United States
2009/12/23, 05:37 AM
i know everything about thyroid but i do bealive that there is somehow we can loose weight and stay health.Thats why i join this site so how may you help me?
chuchubaa
chuchubaa
India
2010/05/13, 01:47 AM
hi everybody!so there are people out there with faulty thyroids just like mine!i think mine is drivving me totallly crazy!it fluctuated between being hyper and hypo for several years before become dormant.now its back to normal but my hypo symptoms still remain.my doctor is at a loss for words.i really want to be healthy like i was a long long while ago.can somebody offer advice?
lilhotpants
lilhotpants
United States
2010/08/05, 01:10 PM
nickyney88
nickyney88
United States
2010/11/20, 07:49 AM
@chuchubaa: I had the same problem. My new doctor told me to:

1. Take medication in the morning, on an empty stomach.
2. Don't eat for an hour afterwards.
3. Don't eat any calcium for the first FOUR hours after you take the meds.

And this has helped me. My issue is I have no freaking clue what to eat for breatfast.:big_smile: