Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Hungry

Follower12
Follower12
United States
2007/05/22, 06:36 PM
Well, this may seem like an obvious question but im not really sure the answer to it. Im trying to lose weight by doing about an hour of running/walking a day and now im starting throwing in some weight training. Anyway, I useually eat healthy but i wont lie when i say i sometimes fall off the "path" and eat a little extra, not healthy food.

Well to the question. When my stomach growls and im hungry do i eat a little then? or do i wait and eat at lunch/dinner time. Im trying to lose weight but i dont want to take in extra calories.
KrissiR
KrissiR
United States
2007/05/22, 07:03 PM
The obvious solution is to eat, but this is not always practical. Because your body responds to things that you do daily I suspect that people who eat on very regular schedules may be more susceptible to this problem. For example if the stomach receives food at noon every day then the body will expect food at noon, whether food is present or not.

Make sure you eat a HEALTHY breakfast so that your body doesn't run low on fuel before the next time you usually eat ---ala Mayo Clinic site

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/22, 08:23 PM
If you feel you must eat, there are many "free" foods. By free, I mean VERY low or zero calorie snacks you can munch on to hld you over until you can eat a nutritious meal.
You can also try eating something high in protein to keep you filling fuller for a longer time frame.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/22, 09:26 PM
There is nothing like breaking up your meals to 4-6 a day, you won't believe the difference it makes to most --just when you start getting a hankerin' to eat, it is TIME to eat again, it will seem like you are eating all day --because time goes fast! Eat the right foods, though, that is the trick and divide up your calories throughout those meals...if you feel like diving into dessert, make it something low-fat, fresh fruit, or something of the sort that will give you that feeling of satisfation in both the palate area AND knowing you did right by yourself!!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/05/23, 02:56 PM
So true Veda and Conan! I eat 5 meals a day religiously and the higher protien foods DO help curb appetite longer. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water. That helps with the growling tummy too. Lastly, you should be sure to track and journal your food intake. Fitday.com has a very easy program to use to monitor your foods. Make sure that you are taking in enough calories to sustain yourself based on your activity level. Maybe you are not eating enough. If you are getting sufficient calories, remember that you won't starve. It's irritating when the tummy growls, but if you can drink some water it will pass as long as you have eatten sufficient meals to that point and are not overdue for one.
Follower12
Follower12
United States
2007/05/23, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.