Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

How much water do you really need?

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/27, 11:59 AM
You cannot physically do without water for more than three days, or you would die. So how much water have you had today? You had two cups of coffee this morning, a diet Coke with lunch, a third cup of coffee this afternoon, and…wait…did you even drink water today? Find out why the Gatorade Sports Science Exchange thinks you should ask yourself “WUT have I had to drink today?” Plus: Find out what your fitness style is...

Two-thirds of your entire body is made up of water, including 95% of your brain, 82% of your blood, and 90% of your lungs. Water is present in all of your bodily fluids, including digestive juices, saliva, sweat, and urine.

And all that water isn’t just sittin’ pretty – it’s hard at work regulating your body temperature, eliminating waste products, transporting vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and proteins, lubricating your joints, and moistening the lungs so you can breathe.

No wonder all the experts say to drink at least eight glasses of water a day.

The body typically loses 2-3 quarts of water per day through routine processes like breathing, urinating and perspiration. If you are physically active or live in a warm climate, you lose even more water every day.

Amazingly, the loss of just 2% of your body's water volume can lead to such symptoms as short-term memory loss, lack of concentration, difficulty with complex tasks such as mathematical calculations, and even daytime fatigue. Ever wonder why you’re always tired by 2 p.m.?

Since most people don’t drink enough water, it is estimated that upwards of 75% of people are chronically dehydrated. In other words, three out of four people have chronic memory problems, concentration and critical thinking difficulties, and daytime fatigue.

You need to drink about eight fluid ounces of water for every twenty pounds of body weight you have. For example, a 140 pound woman would need to drink approximately seven, eight-ounce glasses of water, and a 180 pound man would need to drink nine. Of course, this is a very general rule and if you do live in a warm climate or are very physically active, you will need to drink even more water.

But what do you do if you have a hard time keeping track of how much water you drink? There are three very convenient ways to tell if you’re not drinking enough. And it all has to do with “WUT.” Created by the Gatorade Sports Science Exchange, this memory device is used to help athletes monitor water intake. It’s time to listen to your body and ask: “WUT have I had to drink today?”

W = Weight
Step on the scale before you go to bed and then weigh yourself again in the morning and compare. If you’ve lost weight overnight, we’re sorry to inform you that it’s not fat that you’ve lost, but rather water weight. If you weigh 140 pounds before bed and weigh 139 pounds when you wake up, you’ve lost one pound (16 ounces) of water and need to replace it by drinking two 8-ounce glasses of water.

U = Urine
What color is your urine? You may not be in the habit of sneaking a peek at your pee, but it’s time you started. Dark yellow urine indicates that your pee is mostly concentrated solids and not much water, which means you’re dehydrated. Clear yellow urine means you’re well-hydrated.

You also need to monitor how often you have to urinate. If you only pee once a day, you’re not producing enough urine because you’re not drinking enough water. Your body wants to get rid of urine, so drink more.

T = Thirst
Thirst is a great indicator of your need to drink more water. But unfortunately, if you feel thirsty, it’s already too late. The thirst signal is actually triggered once the body is already mildly dehydrated, so your goal should be to never feel thirsty. If you notice that you’re thirsty a lot, you’re chronically dehydrated.

So ask yourself the three “WUT have I had to drink today?” questions:
Have I lost a noticeable amount of Weight after sleeping or exercising?
Is my Urine dark yellow?
Am I Thirsty?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you might be dehydrated. If you answer yes to two or more of these questions, you’re clearly dehydrated.

The best way to start drinking more water is simply to have it nearby. Make it a point to keep a water bottle on your desk, in your car and on nightstand. Drink at least one glass of water with every meal and for each alcoholic or caffeinated beverage you have.

Remember, alcohol and caffeine are both diuretics and cause your body to eliminate extra water. So just make sure you match these beverages ounce for ounce with water.

Is There Such A Think As Too Much Water?
Actually, yes. Drinking too much water causes hyponatremia, which means that the concentration of sodium in your body has become diluted. Since sodium is a major contributor to all muscular contractions – including your heart – a sodium imbalance can be a deadly condition. In fact, one female Boston marathoner died in 2002 from hyponatremia after drinking too much water on race day.

Over-hydrating, although relatively uncommon, is still a risk for anyone, no matter your athletic prowess.

It’s important to remember that if you are exercising for more than 90 minutes you should be consuming sports drinks that provide electrolytes, like sodium, as well as carbohydrates to replace lost glycogen.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2006/10/27, 12:12 PM
wow! great post. A lot of people really don't know whta water does for you. I learned a lot of new things about water from this post. Thanks.

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/27, 12:36 PM
yes...this was great!!!...before I hid the scale I was dropping sometimes 4 pounds in one night...I guess I have some serious water issues to take care of...thanks bb1!!
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/10/27, 04:31 PM
It is interesting how it effects wt fluctuations. I've found that now that I keep hydrated and eat at regular intervals, my wt doesn't change as much from night to morning. It wasn't unusual to drop by 5lb from night to morning.

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/27, 04:48 PM
well I wonder why I'm still dropping so much...I drink between 100 and 125 oz of water...but most during the day..I don't drink much after 6...small bladder...I would be up all night...I wonder if thats it.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/10/30, 08:33 AM
Great article, BB1. I sent it on to some of my freinds....

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/11/06, 11:48 AM
This was one of the first things I fixed when I started losing weight and getting in shape. Cutting out my 6 sodas a day habit and keeping a big Aquafina bottle with me all the time and just refill it throughout the day. I get about 6 liters a day...which is 202 ounces or 1.5 gallons. That explains why I spend a lot of time in the bathroom.