Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

How much cardio vs weight training

mara1007
mara1007
United States
2006/11/27, 10:40 PM
Hello, I'm new to the group. I have worked out in gyms and with trainers before. I still don't know the proper balance between cardio and weight training. I've been told an hour of cardio 5 to 6 times a week and weights 3 times. Do I have to do so much cardio????? I want to burn fat mainly and increase my strength. I am doing weight watchers too.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/28, 11:14 AM
Welcome to FT mara! Based on your profile, you say you want to loose BF and gain strength. Your goals are similar to mine, as is your age:) A good mix is 3 days wt training + 3 days cardio, try to do wts and cardio on alternate days. Sometimes you just have to figure out what is working best for you. It is also benificial to change up your cardio, so try HIIT 1 day a week (20min), endurance 2X/week (40min) and that should be adequate. Check out the wt training programs offered on this site, they are very good and will give you a 8 week challenge. I think the key is to work as hard as you can while working out. I think many people fall into a routine of just going thru the motions and therefore really aren't getting a good workout. Weight watchers is a good program, but be careful that you are getting enough food to offset your workouts. Spend some time checking out the diet and nutrition section, the information I found totally changed my eating habits. Good Luck and again welcome to FT!
lynnoakdale
lynnoakdale
United States
2007/01/25, 01:32 PM
Mara1007
I have jsut started Weight Watcher also. I feel like I am eating alot more even though it has been healthier then what it was before. I have tired to stick to my points as can without going over but I will admit it is hard. I have just started working out again and I did a kickboxing class last night. If you have any information for the WW let me know. I do tend to lose my motivation at times but I need to stay focused. If you have any helpful tips please let me know.