Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

How am I doing?

CSix
CSix
Canada
2008/09/11, 10:44 PM
Hey!
Last time I was here was around a year or so ago, and I've been doing the WSSC diet/exercise plan on and off for a total of 6 months. I remember when I started it I had very good results, but I think I've reached that plateau. I started the routine again, its been almost a month or so.

My goal now is to get really defined abs, so I've added a lot more reps to the ab workout that was usually done on Wednesday (from 15 to 30 so far) and did it everyday after my workouts.

My diet is as follows:

1st meal (7am): Peach, an egg

2nd meal (12:00pm due to school): Lots of green veggies, 1 serving of the daily fish served. Some days I have chicken and fish if both are offered.

Squash inbetween for 2 hours at least.

3rd meal (whenever I get back home, ranges from 4-6pm): Peach again (sometimes 2), along with maybe some protein (usually not).

Exercise inbetween the meals, omitted cardio if I had squash that day.

4th meal Dinner: Veggies, brown rice, usually a chicken breast or 2.

Weight: 155 pounds
Height: 5'10

I've read enough before that I know about the usual myths of getting more defined abs. So I'm wondering, is my diet right now too little or too much? I'm not sure how I would factor the extra calories burnt from the sport practices.

I know that the way to lose weight is not to actually eat less per se, but to actually eat more of the right foods (protein, complex carbs, and goods fats). Do you think I need to eat more protein?

The WSSC food plan has relatively low carbs, I think I'm supposed to be eating around 95g carbs, but I haven't used fitday in a long time since I always forget to due to school (12th year :D).

I definitely know I'm not getting the amount of protein I'm supposed to have (around 240g), and if I do, its because I try to stuff it in one meal like dinner.

I know that I will probably not see results till about another month or so, so what I need to know is if my diet and exercise is okay for now.

Oh, and the WSSC food plan doesn't have any dairy due to the sugars and fats. I haven't had dairy for like a year, I think it became sort of a habit for me. I also noticed that I haven't grown in a year, so is there anyway I can get my required calcium? I don't really want to take pills, I need some sort of food I can eat.

Thanks,
csix.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/12, 07:00 AM
csix - eat some dairy, you aren't competing so you can allow the carbs and you need the calcium. There are some foods that will contribute to your calcium intake - almonds, broccoli, fortified soy products...do a google search for dietary sources of calcium.

You do need more protein, try to fit it in at every meal/snack, and since you are 16 and still growing you probably need more carbs than the WSSC plan allows for. Increase your vegetables intake and add in some complex carbs like oat,meal at breakfast, a slice of whole grain bread at lunch, etc.

fats are good and the WSSC plan includes them. Don't cut out your good fats like avocado, almonds, walnuts, olive oil, flaxseed oil..

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
CSix
CSix
Canada
2008/09/12, 12:47 PM
So I should really just try increasing overall intake of protein, carbs, and fats right? And the goal is still for toning?

Also, how much should I be upping my caloric intake if I am doing sports and the workout? (at separate times of the day).