Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

hit a snag

jackson2131
jackson2131
United States
2007/08/07, 10:16 AM
My first 11 pounds came off fairly quick, but for the past 2 weeks, I havent been able to lose a pound. I cant exercise as much as I want to because I have a newborn girl and a 3yr old but I still do 60 pushups a night, leg squats and crunches. The past 2 weekends I have kayaked a combined 18 miles. I havent changed my diet plan except that I added more protein. For anyone out there, what am I doing wrong?
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2007/08/07, 11:59 AM
Your body is looking for a change...try doing more cardio. Take your 3 year old out for a bike ride. You can also buy strollers specifically for running, so you can go for a jog and put your newborn in the stroller.

As for the diet, since you never specified what you are eatting, its hard to help you out. Can you think of any ways you can change your diet?
jackson2131
jackson2131
United States
2007/08/07, 12:55 PM
I think I can change some meals around. I heard that its good to eat more protein in the evening and carbs during the day. Is that true. Since its summertime, I grill alot of chicken and vegetables for dinner, but my lunch at work consist of just a healthy choice frozen meal.
As for exercise, should I quit doing pushups, legs, and crunches, and concentrate specifically on cardio? And does it matter if I jog 2 miles or walk? thanks for your help!
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/08/07, 02:05 PM
Jackson, jogging burns more calories than walking, but do whatever you will do on a CONSISTANT basis. Check out the WSSC diet plan here. It will help you understand the protein/carb question.
You should NOT concentrate soley on cardio. But, I would suggest getting yourself hooked up with a home workout plan from this site. It's free and will give you full body workout plans for strength training that deviate from the regular pushups, squats and crunches. They are all things you can do at home too that don't require equipment. Try using your kids as part of your workout. Bench press the 3 year old for a few sets. Lay down on your back with your child sitting on your ankles and lift him up and down on a "horsey ride", GREAT lower ab workout. If you are creative, there are plenty of ways to add strength training, while playing with your kids. Dad used to "curl" me when I was a kid and I though it was so much fun!
Keep in mind that the more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism and your ability to consistently burn off the calories that you take in. Although you should also be doing cardio, you should NEVER cut out strength training completely. Good luck!
jackson2131
jackson2131
United States
2007/08/07, 03:11 PM
thanks a bunch for the advice. I will try it out this afternoon.