Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Helpful Tips

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/16, 02:54 PM
I thought I would share some of my ideas that have helped me, everyone is different, but I like to try things other people have found works and see if it does or not for me, many I have gotten from FT members, I can use all the help I can get. Feel free to add to the list with yours!

First I would like to say to all of those, like myself, that get discouraged because they have only lost a few pounds, and the final goal seems so far away - we have to remember that every time we lose a pound we have made a big accomplishment -- one pound of fat is ugly, nasty and dimpling, that one pound is not to be taken lightly, that one pound is one less pound to carry around. Each pound thereafter should be something to get excited about, just try to visualize what one pound of fat would be like, pick up a pound of butter and imagine having that much on your body, how about two? How about three? Here is a picture if you need more visualization: www.nutritioncouncil.org/member/images/displays/Fat.jpg
Here is another picture showing fat vs. muscle:
http://ladiesfitexpress.com/nutrition.htm
So, please, stop complaining when you only lost "two pounds", that two pounds is a excellent accomplishment that should be cheered on, stop being so hard on yourself and remember those pictures, remember those pounds of butter (pure fat) and know that everytime you lose a pound you are one step closer to your goal, it isn't going to come any other way, so face it, you can be happy with each one pound loss you come by or you can bum out it isn't more, me, I prefer to take each pound as one pound closer to healthy living!!

When I crave sweets, I have a diet soda. I don't drink diet soda's anymore with my meals if I can get by, instead I have water or lemon water and save the diet soda's for when I want to help with my sweet needs!

I keep a container of walnuts next to my computer for when I don't have time to get up for quite a while (I work from my computer).

I do my cardio during my favorite tv shows so that before I know it, my time is up as I am a clock counter!

I break down meals into 4-6 a day and take small bites of my food and always take about 15 seconds between bites.

I have found exercise doesn't mean just lifting or cardio equipment, it can mean going outside and doing something I enjoy, tennis, canoing, hiking, walks, bochi ball (sp?), bowling, etc.

By replacing everything in the house with good nutritional choices I have not left myself open to temptation, I don't care how strong-willed I am, if there is chocolate in the house, I will eventually chow it down!

I allow myself just a few minutes each day to stress out and then do my best to put it aside until I can deal with it, there is no point in worrying about things I cannot change at that moment.

I involved my whole family, it took a lot, but now we are finally all interested in making healthy changes together.

I don't look for support where there is none.

I try not to lose site of my goals when frustrated with every day life and go work out instead, the endorphines make me feel better, sitting on my butt does not!

Share your success and your support with someone else, the power of giving is so rewarding when you know you are helping another, I try to not just take the support of others, but give back --even though some have basically told me I am not qualified to give support because I haven't reached my goals, I still struggle, I have learned they are WRONG - seeing someone as human, as making mistakes but picking it up and continuing on is what makes others feel they have hope and we all need hope! So, share your ups, your downs, be real.

--------------
Veda
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Just live life and enjoy it!
kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2006/01/16, 11:14 PM
Yet another great post Veda- full of great advice and tips! I think you really hit it when you said losing even one pound of fat is a huge accomplishment. I think we all tend to focus on the big picture, our final goal, and forget that that one pound is important and nothing to be disappointed about. I also like your diet pop tip- I'm actually going to try that, see if it works for me!