Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

help!

lataflava
lataflava
United States
2006/12/19, 06:52 PM
I am 6' tall, 18 years old and am currently 115 pounds. I'm very athletic as I play basketball 2-3 hours a day. After discovering that I have potential to take it to the next level in basketball, I wish to work on my body in order to take my game to the next level. I have just recently began to workout and am looking gain weight, and a huge amount of muscle mass. What kind of workouts do you suggest? Also, I am very particular to taste so it is difficult for me to take protein shakes. Any suggestions on how to get 120-140 grams of protein a day? Thank you in advance. :)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/19, 07:32 PM
I'm going to say you should be aiming for 200g of protein. And whatever you're eating now, double it. At your activity level, you are going to need to pile down the food.

6' 115lbs? Did you just not eat for the first 18 years? I mean, I'm a lightweight, but...

My suggestions are to find a protein shake you like, and mix it with milk (both for added calories and because this is usually more palatable). And meat. Eat lots of it.

I'm going to assume by next level you mean you want to play college ball. You a senior now?

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2006/12/19, 10:33 PM
how are you 6' 115lb? If you were 40lb heavier I'd say you are damn skinny, but 115lb at 6' is anorexic. EAT EAT EAT EAT a lot. that is the only way you are going to put on muscle. Wrestler is right, you should probably at least double what you are eating now. If you want to play at next level, you are going to need to gain at least 60-70lbs otherwise you are going to get plowed over. Don't double it all at once. Add 200 or so calories ever couple weeks so that your body can get used to it. I don't know that much about training for basketball, but for putting on mass, try one of the program on this site. Stick with big compound movements... squat, deadlift, bench, rows, pull ups, olympic lifts. Also check out t-nation.com and elitefts.com and read read read. Learn as much as you can about training. If you play on a team, your coach might be a good resource as well. If you are really new to weight training, try to find someone that knows what they are doing to help you out and show you the way. There are a lot of smart people on this board that will gladly help you out if you questions, but it helps to have someone show you how to perform lifts that you are unfamiliar with.
lataflava
lataflava
United States
2006/12/20, 12:19 AM
thanks a lot guys :) yeah i'm pretty skinny. i'm what you'd classify as a "hard gainer". i try to eat a lot but i lose it so quick because of basketball.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/20, 08:42 AM
I doubt I'd classify you as a hard gainer. Every "hard gainer" I've seen is really just someone with a fast metabolism that doesn't eat enough. They usually defend themselves by making statements like "i really do eat a lot" but after seeing their diet for a day, this is never the case.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2006/12/20, 10:11 AM
dude... you are one of those people that should just eat anything and everything. i dont even understand how you are that light. my ex gf was 100lbs at like 5'3 and she was skinny. how are you only 15lbs more? thats crazy.

needless to say, follow everyones advice from above. you really shouldnt even be able to read all this because you should be cooking for your meal or maybe just eating. and again, eat everything. you find some leftovers in the fridge? eat it. you find a burger on the ground, wipe that shiit off and eat it. you need it
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/20, 12:31 PM
Since you didn't answer my question, I am going to assume you are aiming to play college ball.

I'll let you in on a secret. I'm close friends with the women's basketball coach here, and she won't even look at girls under 130.

What does your diet look like right now?

--------------
Iron and chalk.
adalos
adalos
United States
2006/12/20, 02:45 PM
ya, you'll get manhandled in college ball at anywhere near that weight. i wouldn't want to be under 170 in that sort of venue. look how hard iverson gets smacked around.
2006/12/20, 04:25 PM
115lb wont even cut it at a division III school ...

I am just going to call your bs right now...you dont eat very much.....I have friends who are 6' and 140-155 they barely eat or end up eating one semi big meal a day plus some bits of crap throughout.....there's no reason why you should be 115 at 6'0.....now thinking it over....did u mean 5'0? because that would make a lot more sense....