Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Heart rate = fitness?

Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/07, 01:49 AM
I have recently noticed that my resting heart rate is around 60bpm (down from approximately 90bpm before starting training in Feb.). I am getting kind of concerned that if I continue it is going to get even lower. I feel pretty darn good though and can do things now I only dreamed of in the past. I have also recently taken up biking and ride 3 times a week for about 45min to 1hr. Could the cardio have had this effect in only a month?
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, does it taper off or continue to drop?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/07/07, 08:23 AM
You will eventually stop lowering it, but don't be concerned - the lower resting heart rate indicates that you are fit - your heart is strong and doesn't have to beat as hard to push the blood through your system - good work!

When I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago the nurse kept saying "She's crashing!" finally the dentist asked me "do you work out every day?", I nodded blearily and he said "she's fine, she's just very fit" my resting heart rate was 45-50 bpm.

60 is good!

--------------
It\'s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.
-Henry Ward Beecher
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/07/07, 09:03 AM
lol Mines pretty low as well but I don't understand because I barely do any form of cardio exercises. I lift weights 5 times a week but no cardio. Well, every once in a while I run a mile or walk 2 or something like that because I feel guilty of the food I ate earlier, but I don't think that this will be of any significance. My resting heart rate is around 57-60.

DX
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/07/07, 11:09 AM
Your heart rate will skyrocket when you lift heavy, but it recovers. The time that it takes to recover from the stress is also an indicator of fitness.

DX14AG - More recent studies are showing that weight lifting does increase your cardiovascualr fitness. If you did cardio you would bring your RHR down further, but 57-60 is good.

============
Quoting from man_of_steel:

so this means im not fit at all than, my heart jumps so hard i can hear it beating after each set i do.

i even passed neovs fitness test:surprised:
=============

--------------
It\'s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.
-Henry Ward Beecher
spamalope
spamalope
United States
2005/07/07, 11:23 AM
Generally speaking, a lower heart rate is much better than a higher one. It demonstrates the effectiveness and efficiency of your cardio system.

Interestingly, your heart is also thought by some to have a "set" number of beats in it. By exercising, you increase the BPM during the exercise but afterwards it goes lower and stays lower while sedentary. Over a year's time, the BPM "saved" is significant.

This is where the axiom of every mile you run in your life adds 1 minute to your life span.

--------------
_Shane

I dont have to outrun the bear - just you....
2005/07/07, 11:23 AM
Tortman, fear not like Amy says. My resting heart rate went from 80 as a couch potato to 58 while persuing this fitness thing. Means you're doing it right.:cool:

--------------
Sometimes life is as easy as herding cats.

Charlie
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/07, 03:04 PM
Thanks so much ladies and gentleman!
I was a bit concerned since your heart is something you don't mess around with. I thought that it might keep dropping to dangerous levels.
Incidentally, my blood pressure has also dropped to an average of 110/65. I wonder if that corresponds with the heart rate decrease?
PS, I will be updating my photo in a few weeks so keep a lookout. Visual progress has finally been made!
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2005/07/07, 04:12 PM
resting heart rate

============
Quoting from man_of_steel:

so this means im not fit at all than, my heart jumps so hard i can hear it beating after each set i do.

i even passed neovs fitness test:surprised:
=============
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/07/07, 11:13 PM
The more fit we are, the heart will pump more blood per beat. Therefore not needing to pump as fast.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/07/08, 03:38 PM
Hi there-

I was jut being curious and wondering what a Tort was... Is this a tortilla or a law tort? Maybe neither...
2005/07/08, 03:43 PM
land turtle

--------------
Sometimes life is as easy as herding cats.

Charlie
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/07/08, 04:28 PM
Aha!
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/08, 11:40 PM
Check out my webpage and all will be explained.
www.Starofburma.com
I have been breeding rare and endangered tortoises (pretty good explanation Charlie LOL!) for several years. I particpate in the American Zoological Species Survival Plan which helps to insure the various species continued survival.
Some of the ones I work with are so rare they are considered extinct in the wild and less than 250 animals in captivity worlwide.
Hope you enjoy!
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/07/09, 03:18 PM
They are very cute!!! It is great what you are doing!
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/09, 04:13 PM
They are sort of cute in a homely kind of way LOL!
I feel blessed every day for having had the opportunities to work with these wonderful animals.
Seeing as how this is a fitness/nutrition/health site I find it interesting that one of the biggest reasons most of these animals are endangered is because they are relied upon heavily by the locals as part of their diet or parts of the animal are used to make medicinal preparations.
They say it tastes like chicken LOL!!
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/27, 03:49 AM
O.K. I am getting a little freaked here. My resting heart rate is now averaging about 55-57 bps. How low can it go before I should start worrying?
As before I feel GREAT!! No dizziness or fainting, feel like I can go for hours on end, while lifting or biking my heart is not feeling like it is about to explode and recovery time has decreased dramatically. I would assume that if I were on deaths' door I would feel at least somewhat poorly but in fact I feel better than I have in my entire adult life.
I have read that conditioned athletes can safely have resting rates in the low 40s but I have only been training for 6 months. Can it improve so dramatically in such a short time frame?
Hope someone has some reassurance for me!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/07/27, 09:29 AM
i think you are fine, but if you are really that worried go see a doctor, i am sure they will reassure you that you are just getting very fit.

--------------

Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think.

Benjamin Disraeli

2005/07/27, 10:56 AM
Tortman, I think you're ok too. But Amy's right, if you're worried go to the doc. Like I said mine's at 58 but I got a few years on you.

--------------
Prayer for the day: Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Charlie
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/07/27, 11:23 AM
Could this be a factor in your biking incident...
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/27, 01:57 PM
I don't think it is directly related to the biking escapade other than the fact that I felt good enough to go too far one way without giving thought to having to pedal back LOL. I actually went on a 11 mile ride yesterday in 103 degree temps and felt like a champion.
I am not excessively worried (more curious than anything). I have no symptoms of heart troubles such as shortness of breath, pain or dizziness. I am curious however how fast this natural process of slowing as you become more fit takes place. As I said I have only been working out for 6 months so I am far from a seasoned athlete. I just don't want to check it one day and find out I'm dead LOL! Seriously though, is it normal for the effects of a healthier lifestyle to manifest this early in the game?
2005/07/27, 02:01 PM
Yeah, when mine dropped from 80 to 58 in the beginning a few years ago, it was over a couple of months. Then it leveled out. I also had quit smoking at that time.

--------------
Prayer for the day: Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Charlie
sanchezkk
sanchezkk
United States
2010/03/27, 03:21 PM
I myself have been working out for 1.5 months and mine is at 52 bpm. From what I understand, that is good.
============
Quoting from luvthemtorts:

I have recently noticed that my resting heart rate is around 60bpm (down from approximately 90bpm before starting training in Feb.). I am getting kind of concerned that if I continue it is going to get even lower. I feel pretty darn good though and can do things now I only dreamed of in the past. I have also recently taken up biking and ride 3 times a week for about 45min to 1hr. Could the cardio have had this effect in only a month?
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, does it taper off or continue to drop?
=============
:):)