Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Gastric Bypass- last resort?

northdweller
northdweller
United States
2008/12/07, 03:26 PM
At what point should someone seriously consider gastric bypass or a similar surgery? I'm 26 and weight around 300 pounds. A few years ago I managed to get down to 240 but it came back, plus some. I know I can do it, but I've really struggled the past couple of years.

I feel like surgery is a cop-out, the easy solution, or the lazy way to do it. But if it is going to make me HEALTHY, is it something to be considered? I hate the idea of surgery when I know if I got off my ass I could do it myself. The problem is I haven't, and don't know how I can get myself to do it. I just know I can't continue down the path I'm on. I've always been big, but the weight has never held me back until recently. Now the weight is negatively affecting every aspect of my life and I can't keep this up.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Any advice?
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2008/12/08, 09:56 AM
I could spend a lot writing up a response but I think if you read your own post a couple of times..... you have a couple of good responses. :)

The surgery isn't a permanent fix if you don't have the mind set to succeed.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/12/09, 03:30 PM
If I may offer you a suggestion: DON'T DO IT. Before I go on a long spiel just know that I'm close with someone who has undergone the surgery recently.
I think a lot of people look at medical procedures as being an easier option than the old fashioned way to loose weight. Maybe it's because they "tried everything"(notice the quotations) or have failed at various lifestyle changes in the past. But Let me tell you, what you don't know about is the absolutely BRUTAL diet that comes both pre and post operation. We're talking almost all liquids and a severely restricted calorie intake. These surgeries are for the severely overweight who need to drop the weight rapidly.
Basically whats going to happen is that you'll see the doctor, who is going to tell you to you need to change your eating habits and exercise regularly both before and after the surgery. He may even make you lose 10-20 pounds before the surgery just to gauge how committed you really are to the process. The surgery is actually a very minor player in the scope of things.
You have to undergo a complete lifestyle change in order for the surgery to be a success. Just like you have to do without the surgery to lose weight and keep it off. The major differences being that for the latter, you lose weight at a much healthier pace, can actually still be eating a satisfying amount of food instead of several months of the hell diet, and your skin will sag a lot less when your done.
I'm not trying to be an a$$, and I'm not trying to boss you around, but you can see success without the surgery. What you need is a smart dietary change, and regular exercise. For starters, if I were you, I'd try eating around 2400 calories a day(as your weight goes down this number does too but it's a good starting point for you), and exercising for a half hour 3-5 times a week. The hardest part is just getting started and being consistent. Also, just to let you know, there's a lot of skinny people out there that are a far cry from "healthy". Your body needs exercise, not just weight loss if you want to keep it running well.
northdweller
northdweller
United States
2008/12/22, 11:39 AM
Thanks Return - you said exactly what I needed to hear! I wanted the dirty facts, and I think you gave them to me.

I've made a decision to do it the old-fashioned way, eat healthier and exercise. I've already been to the gym 3 times in the last week, and have made 30 minute walks with the dog a daily must, regardless of how cold it is!
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/12/22, 02:03 PM
Good for you! Just keep up the hard work. Surgeries are so invasive, and for the most part the whole program just forces you to do what you could have been doing already. Keep on doing what your doing, and don't hesitate to PM me if you get down and need some help.

============
Quoting from northdweller:

Thanks Return - you said exactly what I needed to hear! I wanted the dirty facts, and I think you gave them to me.

I've made a decision to do it the old-fashioned way, eat healthier and exercise. I've already been to the gym 3 times in the last week, and have made 30 minute walks with the dog a daily must, regardless of how cold it is!
=============
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/12/22, 09:15 PM
I think a lot of what you said is uninformed. A lot of Gp paitents take the surgery as a last resort. Most will die without it and have tried for YEARS to lose the weight.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/12/23, 12:34 PM
My apologies mutt. I'm close to someone who has undergone the surgery and seen the hardships they've had to endure. Perhaps my biased is based on the person I'm close with, and knowing their habits. I am sorry if what I said was abrasive, hurtful, or generally uninformed.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

I think a lot of what you said is uninformed. A lot of Gp paitents take the surgery as a last resort. Most will die without it and have tried for YEARS to lose the weight.

=============
vwshepherd
vwshepherd
United States
2009/05/19, 05:14 PM
I haven't posted on here in a very long time, but I must agree with mutt. I had the surgery last December. I too, had tried various diets and exercise plans some of which came from right here from freetrainers.com. With various problems and health issues, I don't believe that I had any other options if I wanted to see all of my children grow up, and to be able to grow old with my wife. I have so far lost from 560lbs from which I began the process of the preop diet and as of now I am down to 370lbs.

I personally worked hard and dieted for years before considering this option. But without it, I couldn't maintain a pace that would help any amount of exercise from helping. Now I walk at least 30 minutes (most of the time a hour) a day. That's also along with various strength training 3-4 days a week. Before I couldn't walk across the parking lot here at work without getting seriously out of breath.

Don't get me wrong, I've had to permanently change the way I look at everything when it comes to exercise/food. But in the end the only downfall I believe that I will be able to come up with will be the loose skin from the extensive amount of weight loss. But that is a small price to pay.
LKauffman14
LKauffman14
United States
2009/05/21, 12:13 AM
Hi! Just stumbled upon this post and wanted to offer a little insight. My PCP suggested LapBand to me, and I blew it off for a year. Went back to him because I was having leg pain which I thought were shin splints, but they weren't it was too much strain on my tendons. I asked him if I was too fat to work out, he told me more or less I would be dead in 10 years if I didn't lose weight. So I went through all the hoops and jumps and got my lap band about a year and a half ago. I've been fairly successful thus far. But it's been a struggle, I won't lie. I've had to change ALL of my eating habbits, and any weight loss surgery is not a quick fix, and it is by NO means an easy way out, contrary to what some may say. At first it was great, the weight was just falling off, and then...poof! It stopped, and then I got frustrated and guess what? I ended up with some weight gain again. Luckily, it's a little easier to control now, but it's still difficult at times. Now I'm on this site, hoping to find support, and motivation, because I've lost site of what my goals are...but.....IIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!! LOL