Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

GAINING MUSCLE AND WEIGHT FROM LIFTING!!

ccspicy
ccspicy
United States
2007/12/27, 03:40 PM
Hi I have been lifting weights now for about six months and I weigh more now then when I first started lifting heavy again. I lift at least 4 times per week and do cardio 3 times a week. I have gone down 2 pants sizes.

Is it possible that I am losing body fat and replacing it with muscle thus the weight gain? I have lowered my bodyfat at least by 4% and have also lost another inch off my waist line in the past month. I should just go on how I look in the mirror, but personally I hate the fact I weigh more now.

What my question is will I start to burn off some more bodyfat after I put on more muscle? Should I stop lifting weights for a while to drop some weight?

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/27, 04:26 PM
Do not stop lifting to drop weight. On average, an extra pound of muscle will burn an extra 50 calories. So, yes, the muscle is helping you to burn the fat. The cardio is great for burning calories too, but it burns them while you are doing it. Where as the muscles that you have built while lifting, burn calories continuously, even while you sleep.
Throw the scale away. The only time you need to jump on a scale is when your Dr. makes you do it. Use a tape measure, your clothes or the mirror to gauge your success.
immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/12/28, 11:59 AM
You're doing it right, keep up the good work!

Keep lifting and eating properly. You will burn more fat and put on more muscle. Just maintain protein intake.

--------------
DEFENSE! - Bas Rutten