Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Fustrated at low amount of weight loss

gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2006/10/02, 11:39 AM
About 1 year ago after battling cancer I realized that I wanted to improve my life. My first goal was to go to college to change careers, because while the job is good I don't like constantly sitting behind a computer desk. Now 3 months ago after keeping a 4.0 doing 6-9 credit hours per semester and maintaining full time job and 2 daughters and wife I realize that I wanted to get into shape.

For the past 3 months I have drastically changed my diet, no more sodas and beer only water and teas. I also found out I was diebetic so now I use splenda for sugar when I really need the flavor. I used to eat alot of processed foods and fast food. Now I haven't had fast food in over 2 months. I do have Sunday as one freebie meal but it normally isn't to bad, like pasta or something. Overall my diet averaged for last month at Fat 20.8% Protein 28.3% Carbs 51%. Roughly 2100-2200 Calories daily, 3800 Sodium and 30-40 Fiber.

My workouts consist on early morning 15 Elliptical warmup and the 8 week weight loss and training program here. Then in the afternoon 45 minutes of intensive elliptical. I also take a men's sport multivitamin, 3 1000mg fish oil, and 3 CLA from GNC. Ohh one last thing 2 months ago I had my last cigarette after smoking for 15 years at about 2 packs per day. Since all this I have only lost about 13 pounds in 3 months. on August 23rd I decided to check my body fat so used a BOD POD machine which said I am 31 percent body fat. I plan on rechecking in late november. Anyways with that little amount of weight loss I am wondering if there is anything you see glaring about my plans?
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/02, 12:00 PM
I'd say your carbs are to high...but mostly I would say it's from quitting smoking.There is a bunch of scientific reasons you gain weight when you quit smoking matabolism goning off quilter and the way your body processes sugar,something like that...but it's supposed to last a couple of months...so the fact that you're lossing weight during this time is fantastic!!!!Keep at it...it' won't be long till those pounds start melting off.Funny this is your first post...I just quit smoking TODAY...so heres to us and being non smokers...and welcome to FT.:)
gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2006/10/02, 12:03 PM
Quick add to this, while only loosing 13 pounds I feel ALOT better. I used to have problems and get winded just walking from work to my car. I also see alot more muscle tone that previous. My calfs and leg muscles are starting to show some while my arms bicep/tricep is gaining alittle definition. Nothing huge mind you but just alittle.
gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2006/10/02, 12:51 PM
Well good luck with not smoking. I tried forever to stop smoking including patches and nicoret (spelling) gum but didn't help. Then one day I just said I wanted to quit smoking and that way it didn't smoke another cigarette after that.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/10/02, 01:22 PM
Hi gecko and welcome to FT. First off, congrats on changing your lifestyle and dropping 13lbs...that is something to be proud of! The fact that it's taken 3 months is not a bad thing and chances are greater that it'll stay off. Body fat measurements are not terribly accurate, so don't worry about it-also, do you know what your BF was 3 months ago? You may want to recheck your diet and really track everything you eat, just to insure your not taking in more that you think (very common) Just stay on course, go by how good you feel and how well you're clothes fit. If you stop loosing wt, try cutting calories by about 250/day (take the 250 from any unwholesome foods) and see if that kick starts the loss again.

You're doing awesome so just keep at it!
gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2006/10/02, 03:03 PM
I didn't bring that up but now I only eat whole grain breads and cereals, skim milk, and lean cuts of meat. Overall I have had move my belt in two notches almost on my 3rd so I guess that is something good. Nope I did my first Bod Pod on 23 August, before that knew weight but didn't ever really worry about BF measurements. But hopefully in November I will be atleast in my 20's in BF.