Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Female fitness plans?

Kaitriona
Kaitriona
Canada
2006/07/28, 11:35 AM
I just read over my new finess plan (ok it's a basic membership)
Is there a way to substitute some of the exercises for those more oriented to females?

I currently do 30-40 minutes on the elliptical 4 times a week, and resistance training 3 times a week. I do leg curls, extensions, abductors, adductors, leg press, ab crunches, shoulder press and tricep dips, and I do 2 sets of 15 of each exercise.

This freetrainers workout seems to focus on each area only once a week but for many more reps, and a few more exercises. Is this more beneficial for building or toning muscle? It seems like a drastic change of workout... although I really don't feel like i'm getting results these days.

Please tell me what you think! I want to lose weight, get toned, and avoid bulking up!!!
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/07/28, 03:36 PM
Whew...

Welcome to FT.

#1 - Fill out your profile. Can't really respond to the once a week concern without knowing your goals, current weight, etc...
#2 - Women don't 'bulk up' like men... just ain't normal without some chemical help or photoshop
#3 - There is no difference between men and women exercise. Women deadlift, bench press and squat too.

t

--------------
I am training for birthdays.

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

Kaitriona
Kaitriona
Canada
2006/07/30, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the reply, I filled out my profile!
I was just wondering if working out muscles groups once a week would be more or less beneficial to me, seeing as I work out full body 3x a week as it is.
If you think I should keep my current routine, would you suggest changing my sets/reps? I noticed on my new plan that they suggest 20-18-15-12 reps, as opposed of 2x 15, what is the theory behind this?
And as for cardio for weight loss: I am scared to aim for a lower heart rate, because I don't want to sacrifice my cardiovascular benefits, unless it's really better for weight loss! Ultimately, that's my mission right now!
Thank you!!!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/07/30, 11:24 AM
For fat loss, you would be better with the 3 full body workouts and supplememting with cardio on other days. You would not get hurt by doing some cardio on lifting days if you like, just be careful, too much of a load will/can result in overwhelming(like a job), and lead to quitting. I would suggest to you on your full body days to do a circuit type workout, great for muscle endurance and fat loss. Speed up the heart rate(actually up down), can actually rival cardio. I would suggest a circuit covering all bodyparts, in an upper followed by lower body part on each successive exercise. This pumps blood to the upper, then turns around and pumps blood to the lower, etc. for more fitness and calorie burn. Compliment with as best you can with your diet issues(I read your profile and you have less than optimal food choices), your best bet here is to leave something on the plate with each meal if you get my drift.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!